Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2006, 12:06 PM

107 posts, read 354,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley
You would be correct. See, he sees my humor Although, most people who get banned seem to be "Yankees" even though some reading I have done, it seemed to be more the NC fault. Just my opinion (will I get banned for my opinion? Time will tell)
Gotcha ! Now I get it ! Well I haven't been banned yet, but people seem to be taking away my reputation so far .

Last edited by krusklan; 06-19-2006 at 12:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2006, 12:25 PM

483 posts, read 1,567,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinaborn&raised
I know how you feel. I was born and raised here (hence the name, Carolinaborn&raised ) and I'm starting to feel like an outsider in my own state. Especially when I'm in a grocery store in North Raleigh or Cary. I'm the type of person (because it is how I grew up) that looks a person in the eye and smiles when I come in contact with someone else in the grocery store aisle. 99% of the time what I get back is a blank stare which makes me feel very uncomfortable. The sad thing is that I recently noticed that I have started avoiding eye contact with people when I'm in Raleigh/Cary.
I think one of the main reasons why (and I could be mistaken about this) is because we (northerners) are not used to waving to people that just drive by (unless if it's our close friends and relatives). When my husband and I visited friends in Cary, he told us to remember to wave to everyone because that's what people do. So we easily adjusted ourselves to wave. It's not what we are used to but if our friends did not tell us to wave, we would have thought that the kind people were waving to someone else. Now, don't get me wrong, I am sure you will run into a few people every now and then that don't want to be that friendly. But that's not the case with everyone. My husband and I would be more than happy to wave to people that we don't know. It would be much more of a welcome that I am accustomed to here (it's generally the middle finger LOL).

Old 06-19-2006, 01:12 PM

64 posts, read 263,726 times
I would agree with the wave thing. Northeners just aren't used to waving at everyone

Old 06-19-2006, 01:18 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
I don't know about that. Maybe on the coast around NYC, Boston, and Philadelphia. But the intereor Northeast and the midwest are different. People are more neighborly there and wave at everyone too. Sort of like how not everyone in the south rides horses around like they do in Texas. lol

Old 06-19-2006, 01:53 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,385 times
Lakeman, why do you make the assumption these bad seeds are from NYC? Here where I live on Long Island peolpe are friendly and do wave- I looked into this board to learn more about the area, neighborhoods, people, etc...I did not come to see rude remarks and accusations about a particular group of people living in a cerain area...rudeness can occur anywhere, not just NYC. Rudeness should be directed toward a specific geographic region. Have you ever been here?

Old 06-19-2006, 02:01 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
Default missing the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman
Also if a southerner comes up north and says something like "it's sure cold up here", we reply "Yes it is", not "If you don't like it, go back where you came from."
If it is 95 degrees outside, and a yankee says to me "Wow, it sure is hot down here!", Id say "Yep, it sure is!"

Whereas if he said, "Wow, it sure is hot down here. I dont like it. Back in New York the city would have done something about it. What is wrong with you people, how can you live like this? And the pollen, its awful. I never should have left Long Island." I would say, "Jesus christ, if you dont like it, Delta is ready when you are!"

Old 06-19-2006, 02:06 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
lol. That's a good one

Old 06-19-2006, 02:18 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
I'm seeing folks blurring the lines between "geniunely nice" and "polite". Most southerners are just raised to be polite. That doesn't make us better or nicer people. And judging by nearly every northerner I've ever met, yankees generally don't have the same type of manners. The handful that do, have acquired it over a few years of living in the south. So rather than getting all defensive: i.e. "No, YOU are rude, not me!" - Instead, take everything with a grain of salt, and use it to understand where southerners are coming from.

Also, I'm on a message board right now so I try to tell it like it is. If we were just super-smiley-nice-and-polite it would render the forum useless. Trust me, I'm much nicer and polite in real life. And I think you could say the same about most of the people who post negative opinions about northerners. It's not that they'll come and harass you if you move here, everyone will be polite enough to not say anything. But since we're on a forum, and the rules of etiquitte are different, you're going to see more honest opinions. If it was all about being "nice", I wouldn't waste any time here. It's about cutting to the chase, helping people understand what it's like down here, and trying to figure out what they are all about.

Old 06-19-2006, 02:30 PM

64 posts, read 263,726 times
You people take things way too seriously. I guess if the only polite northerner you met must have learned it in the south, I guess the only intelligent southerner I've ever met must have been educated in the NORTH!

Old 06-19-2006, 03:09 PM

3 posts, read 11,123 times
I agree. There are more people headed to NC than you can imagine. If you think they're all going to bow down and assimilate to the southern way of life, you're dreaming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina