Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 10:53 PM

67 posts, read 73,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
Not too many places. I don't think you get the small town feeling... not by any streatch, in most of Wake County. And although I'm not as familiar with small town NC, from what I've heard from others on this forum, the jobs don't pay as high there.
Worried about the pay as well. Wife makes $14hr WITHOUT a monthly bonus. If company does well, then she can go up to $22hr. or even higher. $14 is base salary though. This month was only a $500 bonus. So, that's $17hr. It's not comission or sales. What type of hourly do you seee out there for "assistants" or office "type" work?

Last edited by K9LVR; 06-17-2006 at 11:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2006, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native
No offense, but you can find a job in a small town in Kansas, or anywhere if you really look.

People believe the hype they hear about NC, and want to move. Its like if a job oppurtunity opens up, they see it as a sign from the Lord to move!

I know all about AZ and CA. The overcrowding issues and all. You are trading one overpriced suburb for another one. Trust me.

These boom towns really dont have a small town feel. My sister lives in a subdivision in Mooresville. Most people that live there are from out of state. Ill be in the yard, and say hello and wave to those passing by. All I get in return is a wierd look. So I pretty much quit doing it. I guess its that yankee attitude, and its taking its root here too.
No offense taken. But I didn't bring up finding a job more the pay rate

Old 06-17-2006, 10:59 PM

25 posts, read 87,023 times
Quote:
Let me add the suburbs have little community feel to them. They are melting pots of people from all over. People generally bring their old ways with them. People dont automatically change when they cross the state line.

If you happen to go to more rural towns then you get the small town feel. That comes at a price because you will not have your Super Target real close by.

Cannot emphasize enough about the school situation that has been posted tirelessly. Its not simply me or others wanting to scare people away, but its the truth. Its almost worth it to just send your children to private school instead.

Hey Carolina_native, what area of NC are you in? The schools in my area (western Johnston County) are exploding with growth and can't keep up. Most of them look like trailer parks because there are so many mobile classrooms parked outside!

Old 06-17-2006, 11:01 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,082,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9LVR
No offense taken. But I didn't bring up finding a job more the pay rate

You know, with all honesty, if you come to NC, I hope nothing but the best for you. Its the same toward anyone coming here. I know I sound negative alot, I love my state, but it really is turning into FL and AZ.

Old 06-17-2006, 11:03 PM

Quote:
You know, with all honesty, if you come to NC, I hope nothing but the best for you. Its the same toward anyone coming here. I know I sound negative alot, I love my state, but it really is turning into FL and AZ.
Fair enough. So you base your opinions on that then. I think someone started up a thread on this topic. I get confused. Maybe its the typing thing? lol!

Old 06-17-2006, 11:04 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,082,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinaborn&raised
Hey Carolina_native, what area of NC are you in? The schools in my area (western Johnston County) are exploding with growth and can't keep up. Most of them look like trailer parks because there are so many mobile classrooms parked outside!

Huntersville/Denver area. I remember when I would tell people I lived in Charlotte because no one had heard of Huntersville and they always assumed Denver was Denver Colorado. Now people know where Huntersville is.

Schools are the same here. North Meck is terrible. Its a Huntersville school. Trailer park.

Old 06-17-2006, 11:06 PM

Are they building more schools with the property taxes they are seeing or is it mismanagement?
As for trailer park, I think my kids have 4 where they are. How many there?

Old 06-17-2006, 11:10 PM

I know how you feel. I was born and raised here (hence the name, Carolinaborn&raised ) and I'm starting to feel like an outsider in my own state. Especially when I'm in a grocery store in North Raleigh or Cary. I'm the type of person (because it is how I grew up) that looks a person in the eye and smiles when I come in contact with someone else in the grocery store aisle. 99% of the time what I get back is a blank stare which makes me feel very uncomfortable. The sad thing is that I recently noticed that I have started avoiding eye contact with people when I'm in Raleigh/Cary.

Old 06-17-2006, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9LVR
Are they building more schools with the property taxes they are seeing or is it mismanagement?
As for trailer park, I think my kids have 4 where they are. How many there?

Oh, one local elementary school had 20 something!

Old 06-17-2006, 11:14 PM

212 posts, read 1,063,459 times
What's wrong with a mobile unit for a classroom? I was in one in elementary school....in the '70's! If it keeps class sizes down and has a/c and a blackboard kids can learn in it. One of the best teachers I ever had taught us in one of those mobile units.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina