U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 08:19 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,872,762 times

Advertisements

To those of you living here. I've stated my opinion plenty of times on this forum and won't do it right now. But, just wondering. Is there anyone out there who has made the move to NC, lived here for a while, and now believes that it's overrated? It seems to be a controversy that is taking over all of the other threads, so there might as well be designated thread for this discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2006, 08:29 PM

This will hopefull clean out the other threads too. I'm just as guilty as anyone of turning a thread into this topic so I might as well be the one to try and fix it.

Old 06-17-2006, 08:43 PM

107 posts, read 328,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
This will hopefull clean out the other threads too. I'm just as guilty as anyone of turning a thread into this topic so I might as well be the one to try and fix it.
It is a great idea ! I just also wanted to know ( for my own processing ) how long you have lived in NC for if you wouldnt mind ?

Old 06-17-2006, 08:51 PM

67 posts, read 55,867 times
Looks like you got the floor I'M. I would also like to know what were some things you liked and didn't. Maybe 5 things for each?

Last edited by K9LVR; 06-17-2006 at 08:59 PM..

Old 06-17-2006, 08:56 PM

107 posts, read 328,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9LVR
Looks like you got the floor I'M. I wouls also like to know what were some things you liked and didn't. Maybe 5 things for each?
Awesome Question !

Old 06-17-2006, 08:59 PM

4,958 posts, read 10,565,224 times
Quote:
Looks like you got the floor I'M. I wouls also like to know what were some things you liked and didn't. Maybe 5 things for each?
Having moved to NC 3 months ago:
5 things I like: People are very friendly for the most part, housing prices are still reasonable, property taxes are low (at least compared to where we lived before), jobs are plentiful, ocean is fairly close
5 things I dislike: Car registration/taxes are high, groceries are pretty expensive, traffic is getting worse, overcrowded schools (which I think is being handled fairly well), heat and humidity (which I know I haven't seen the worst of...)

Old 06-17-2006, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusklan
It is a great idea ! I just also wanted to know ( for my own processing ) how long you have lived in NC for if you wouldnt mind ?
Since December 1994. About 11 1/2 years.

As for the 5 things...

Like:

1.The economy is good

2.People are fairly friendly

3.The ocean is only 3 hours away

4.The roads (the ones that aren't being expanded) are in good condition

5. The neighborhoods are built around trees instead of on top of them

Dislike:

1.There is almost NO community feeling at all

2. The summers are unbearable and kids don't go outside to play.

3. The pollen is unbearable in spring and is actually the worst in the nation (this is the price of having all of the trees around the houses)

4. The school system is RIDICULOUS; Countywide school systems just don't work when there are 140,000 students in the county (projected 185,000 by 2015)

5. I'm far from my parents and siblings, as is my wife, and it's just not worth it to live here anymore if we can't really be happy.

Just a note, there are many more things I could pick at that are negative, but you said five, so five is all I'll list The rest get sort of petty anyways lol

Last edited by just_sayin'; 06-17-2006 at 09:10 PM..

Old 06-17-2006, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt4fam
Having moved to NC 3 months ago:
5 things I like: People are very friendly for the most part, housing prices are still reasonable, property taxes are low (at least compared to where we lived before), jobs are plentiful, ocean is fairly close
5 things I dislike: Car registration/taxes are high, groceries are pretty expensive, traffic is getting worse, overcrowded schools (which I think is being handled fairly well), heat and humidity (which I know I haven't seen the worst of...)
Year of car? Amount paid?

Old 06-17-2006, 09:24 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,660,050 times
Quote:
Year of car? Amount paid?

I have a Mustang. In Lincoln county my car tax is $81.00. You also get your car inspected each year, thats about $30, and your tag gets renewed every year, thats $28 for a passenger car.

Varies county to county ofcourse.

Old 06-17-2006, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native
I have a Mustang. In Lincoln county my car tax is $81.00. You also get your car inspected each year, thats about $30, and your tag gets renewed every year, thats $28 for a passenger car.

Varies county to county ofcourse.
So annually its $58 a yr? What year is the car?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or