Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 05:55 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times

Advertisements

How about the American Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO in Chapel Hill or the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, AFL–CIO in Durham? Real unions?

Last edited by mm34b; 01-31-2009 at 06:54 PM..

Old 01-31-2009, 11:15 PM

983 posts, read 3,986,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
How about the American Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO in Chapel Hill or the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, AFL–CIO in Durham? Real unions?
No....teachers can not unionize in NC. All of these groups may lobby on their behalf, but there are NO teacher unions in the state.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post
No....teachers can not unionize in NC. All of these groups may lobby on their behalf, but there are NO teacher unions in the state.
Can you direct me to the specific General Statute in which NC public school teachers are prohibited from joining labor unions?

The reason I ask is that I was notified a few months ago by Representative Carolyn Justus (117th House District) of the NC General Assembly, that teachers may be union members, but are not required to be as a condition of employment. If I can find her letter, I'll post it.

Thanks

Old 02-01-2009, 03:58 PM

67 posts, read 285,305 times
§ 95-98. Contracts between units of government and labor unions,trade unions or labor organizations concerning public employees declared to be illegal.

Any agreement, or contract, between the governing authority of any city, town, county, or other municipality, or between any agency, unit, or instrumentality thereof, or between any agency, instrumentality, or institution of the State of North Carolina, and any labor union, trade union, or labor organization, as bargaining agent for any public employees of such city, town, county or other municipality, or agency or instrumentality of government, is hereby declared to be against the public policy of the State, illegal, unlawful, void and of no effect.(Enacted 1959.)

We can unionize, but the union cannot engage in collective bargaining, so what's the point?

Old 02-01-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelcoach View Post
§ 95-98. Contracts between units of government and labor unions,trade unions or labor organizations concerning public employees declared to be illegal.

Any agreement, or contract, between the governing authority of any city, town, county, or other municipality, or between any agency, unit, or instrumentality thereof, or between any agency, instrumentality, or institution of the State of North Carolina, and any labor union, trade union, or labor organization, as bargaining agent for any public employees of such city, town, county or other municipality, or agency or instrumentality of government, is hereby declared to be against the public policy of the State, illegal, unlawful, void and of no effect.(Enacted 1959.)

We can unionize, but the union cannot engage in collective bargaining, so what's the point?
That's the info I was looking for. Thanks.

To recap, public school teachers in NC may participate in labor unions, but collective bargaining is prohibited for state, county and municipal government employees.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:45 PM

983 posts, read 3,986,713 times
But the NCAE, et al, are not labor unions. They're lobbyist groups. There are no "labor unions" for teachers, per se, in the state, that I'm aware of. I come from a family of teachers, and joined the NCAE immediately. But I would have been better off joining SEANC. THEY are the ones who really rally for ALL state employees, including teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina