U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 04:01 PM

2 posts, read 10,732 times

Advertisements

Hello,
So you want to know about Love Valley. Any Barker started it and in 1970 he decided he wanted to have a Rock Festival. What a Festival. The Alman Brothers played along with a few more bands. Greg brought a house and I do not know it he still owns it. The local people had an absolute fit. Many and Many more people came. It lasted for several weeks. Farmers refused to let their cows drink out of the ponds because the hippies had bathed in the water. Looks like Andy has come a long ways. His dream seems to have come true regards of the Love Festival. I visited recently and a lovely little town. I spent alot of time ditching school and hanging around Love Valley. Hitched hiked to the little town. The bar was really rough for a time during the 80's and the bouncer wore guns. My cousin lives there now and is a rider. He seems to really like the town. However, if you are not from the South it is truly a different culture. Best be if you visited before deciding to start a business in Love Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 04:01 PM

1 posts, read 7,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtoride View Post
I had read about it a while ago. Would it be a nice place to live, I know it has lots of riding, but living? I inquired about a business there for sale, they want $670.000 a little too much for my budget. Would like to open cafe or something and live there w/ my horses. Thanks in advance.
I've been to love valley a lot. I usually just go down for a weekend. It is only about 30 minutes from where I live. I guess living there depends on what type of living you want or like.

The question is "Would Love Valley Want Or Like You ? "

Old 10-09-2008, 06:58 AM

2 posts, read 14,682 times
Default Love Valley

Lived and owned business in LV... give me your email if you want info. Just a couple of fact changes.. Andy did not establish in 1970.. rather 1952 or 54.... Also no nudist colony there.. but a nudist, or someone who used to be, did live there. I would definetly do your homework before moving there.

Happy Wondering!

Old 10-09-2008, 07:00 AM

2 posts, read 14,682 times
Exclamation Census

Census is quite misleading. If you don't fill out your form... LV was once considered the smallest town in NC... I doubt that... however it is small! LOL

Old 10-15-2008, 08:07 AM

2 posts, read 14,871 times
Love valley was created because of a mans dream of the perfect town. This man named Andy Barker wanted to be a cowboy and have a christian community. In result Love valley came to be. I have to agree with T-Bug, the place is for horse lovers. Now days it is better to ride horses than to ride in a car. It's cheaper too! A horse can go further and faster than a car without stopping to fill up for gas. You just have to be kind, understanding, friendly, and feed them. Also there are no speed limits on a horse. When I graduate from collage I will most definitely move to Love Valley! Seriously, anyone who has something negative to say about the place look it up on Google or some other search engine, look at the fun people have, look at the history, look at the character!

Old 10-15-2008, 01:43 PM

177 posts, read 838,697 times
I've been once and will be there this weekend with the band I play in. You do feel like you're stepping back in time as you enter. Its maybe 100 yards long, with buildings on both sides of the street. If you're not into horses its definitely not for you. It would be nice if all the buildings were occupied and open for business. It would surely help attract and retain more visitors.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 7,119 times
Love Valley was started in 1954 by Andy Barker and is a great western town. We have 120 full time residents. The stores are open on the weekends and are operated by some great people. Its a great place to visit, kick back and step back in town to the "ole West." We are working to open more businesses and love to have people visit. There are rodeos through the season at the Arena. Check out [url=http://www.lovevalley.com]Love Valley[/url] for more information. Who am I...I am Beth, the Town Manager of Love Valley and would love to answer any questions people have. Talk to the people who live here for the "truth" of Love Valley. 704-592-2299

Old 05-26-2009, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 6,900 times
Love Valley is the best place ever!! Me and my family love going down to ride horses and spend time together. Everyone who runs the town and the stores are extremly nice. I would love to live at Love Valley when i graduate. Everyone always gives you a smile and says Howdy as they ride or walk past.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 6,786 times
Greetings - I attended the Love Valley Rock Festival back in 1970 and would like to reminisce with anyone else who was there.

I was about age 15 then, not old enough to have gone to Woodstock (unfortunately!) nor spend the night at the L.V. fest....however, did spend 1 day there and recall the most well-known bands were the Allman Brothers as well as Big Brother & the Holding Co (without Janis Joplin, alas, I believe she either had already split the band & was performing with others --or-- possible had already died - will have the check the date info on that situation.

With the 40th anniv of Woodstock next month, i'm starting to recall the LV Fest & doing a google search to try & find out more info....I may possible still have a bumper sticker from the fest - but don't recall having a program guide or any other printed matter with the band names listed.

I do recall a dusty dirt road that may have gone down a hill to the bottom where the bands played on a stage set up inside the corral, where the rodeos took place. Anyone out there have other memories to share? ---thanks, Bill [EMAIL="pooleb@uncsa.edu"]pooleb@uncsa.edu[/EMAIL] 336-409-3047 Winston-Salem, NC

Old 08-13-2009, 07:45 AM

1 posts, read 6,521 times
I still have my original ticket to the festival purchased in Winston Salem at the Electric Banana- July 18-19, 1970 Price $5.00. I rode up from Greensboro with two friends on off road motorcycles. Acutally, the week before the festival, I drove up by car to check out the area and it's suitablilty for dirt bikes.

Without a doubt, the experience was in my all time top five. I wish I'd had a camera. Regardless, the events of that weekend are etched into my memory. Drugs, sex, and rock and roll was the motto of the day in those years. Hippies were hawking soft drugs, someone passed around a two foot long joint in the arena. All my hippie friends from Greensboro were there. It was rumoured that a kid died on the wooded hillside where so many hippies were camping.

My riding buddies and I didn't see most of the bands performing due to our dirt bike exploration. However, we saw EVERYTHING else. It may have been that the hippie side shows provided more insight into the culture of the day than the music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or