Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2009, 12:00 PM

843 posts, read 2,738,934 times

Advertisements

Some buddies and I are gathering for a weekend get-away at the end of March and I thought I'd come here to ask for suggestions/ideas. I live in SC, a couple of them live in NC and a few more live in OH/WV. Some of them aren't into the camping/roughing it environment so we're looking for a cabin to rent. Last year we went up to Danbury, NC and got a cabin there at Hanging Rock State Park for some hiking and relaxing. It was a good time and the price was nice (for 6 of us the price of the cabin came out to $35/each for both nights).

We'd like to see some place new this year but want to make it easy on those of us with the furthest to drive, so we figured that the middle-point would be around Mount Airy. We're looking for something with cabins to rent, some trails, maybe a river near by.

Is anyone familiar with Stone Mountain State Park?

What about the Western area of the state, around Boone, or south of there? I figure getting around Asheville is gonna be more expensive.

Julian Price Park? Roan Mountain SP?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 03:32 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,359,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceezer View Post
Some buddies and I are gathering for a weekend get-away at the end of March and I thought I'd come here to ask for suggestions/ideas. I live in SC, a couple of them live in NC and a few more live in OH/WV. Some of them aren't into the camping/roughing it environment so we're looking for a cabin to rent. Last year we went up to Danbury, NC and got a cabin there at Hanging Rock State Park for some hiking and relaxing. It was a good time and the price was nice (for 6 of us the price of the cabin came out to $35/each for both nights).

We'd like to see some place new this year but want to make it easy on those of us with the furthest to drive, so we figured that the middle-point would be around Mount Airy. We're looking for something with cabins to rent, some trails, maybe a river near by.

Is anyone familiar with Stone Mountain State Park?

What about the Western area of the state, around Boone, or south of there? I figure getting around Asheville is gonna be more expensive.

Julian Price Park? Roan Mountain SP?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I love, love Stone Mountain, and Julina Price Park is okay for its access to Grandfather Mountain, but they are for tent campers mostly - there are no cabins. I have seen cabins at Roan Mt but have no experience with staying there.

I would like to suggest you consider Grayson Highlands State Park in Virginia, near the NC border. This area is gorgeous! The hiking and wild ponies make this place very unique.

Grayson Highlands State Park

You could easily find a cabin to rent in the area, but you would also be near the Virginia Creeper Bike Trail - something not to be missed, even if you aren't much on biking - though admittedly it may still be kind of cold for that in March.

Virginia Creeper Trail Information

The Dalia Farm - pictures of our cabins and Grayson Highlands State Park

Southwest Virginia Cabin Rentals in the Grayson Highlands

I would also consider looking for private cabin rentals in the Sparta area so that you could be near Stone Mountain, it is really a great place to hike

Old 01-15-2009, 07:42 AM

983 posts, read 3,974,497 times
What about Pilot Mountain? It's near Mount Airy and it's beautiful up there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina