U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 09:53 PM

3,099 posts, read 4,122,548 times

Advertisements

There are no guarantees when you talk about weather, but everyone should be aware that computer models tonight show a major snowstorm may be on tap for much of NC this week. For those of you who want to join the buzzing discussion with novice and professional meteorologists, go to Eastern WX Board forums at : NC/SC/VA/GA Monday and Tuesday S/W discussion, obs and party thread - Eastern US Weather Forums

See map below for computer snowfall estimates. Of course, this is not guaranteed to verify:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 01:37 PM

917 posts, read 2,087,618 times
Right now they are telling us 3-6 inches along the coast.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:15 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,187,492 times
I heard it will come in tonight. We moved here from Michigan so all this getting ready makes us laugh. My son who is 16 said that this getting this and that ready is like sending the army in for a bank robbery. Anyway I have a money bet with my son that he won't have school tomorrow

Old 01-19-2009, 05:09 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
I heard it will come in tonight. We moved here from Michigan so all this getting ready makes us laugh. My son who is 16 said that this getting this and that ready is like sending the army in for a bank robbery. Anyway I have a money bet with my son that he won't have school tomorrow
Well, you won't laugh if this turns to ice and our power is off for several days!!!! That is the concern here. That, and not having snow plows like you are used to in Michigan. Only main roads will be occasionally plowed and may not be plowed AT ALL, depending on what part of the state you are living in. And b/c of temps here, snow melts, re-freezes, and then it is a solid sheet of ice. Without the road maintenance you were used to in Michigan, you will quickly see that what look like a "laughable" snow storm can become a very hazardous situation here.

The last big ice storm we had was in 2002 (we have had some smaller ones since) and we had over 1 million people w/o power, most for five days - and longer.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:16 PM

122 posts, read 407,910 times
We are set, but we are farmer folk and heat with wood anyway. I have the oil lamps primed, and wood stacked in and muck boots to wear to the barn. Good to go.
I was planning on going to the store today anyway... I was out of.. bread and milk. Oh, the shame.
I ran out of fresh milk and DH doesn't like homemade bread for his sandwiches.. so, there I stood, in line, buying bread and milk before a snowstorm. Oh, the shame.
My only fear is the incubator full of eggs and a power outage. We usually don't crank up the generator.. but I will to save eggs.
And a big AMEN on the South being different than the north in a storm. The lack of snow equipment makes a huge difference and the roads do act differently here with the freeze/thaw factor.
Good Show, Anifani!

Old 01-19-2009, 07:02 PM

253 posts, read 707,866 times
Default omg

i had to laugh at the poster from MI, i lived up in gaylord for 2 yrs, my hubby born and raised there, we know live in TN and should be moved over to NC in spring.....anyways....
yes....up there, they plow and salt the stuff'n out of everything....im still washen salt out of my vehicals 2 yrs later....lol ive never seen the like where it can be 20 below...blizzard conditions, and every one still has to go shopping!!!! and NO ONE slows down for nothing....if anything, they speed up!!! hence all the accidents daily. it was CRAZY!!!
while i do giggle a bit when schools close for being 20 degrees, claiming its to cold for kids to stand at bus stop, where as up there...they bundle up and do it, but here in TN, it can be 100+ degrees, first of AUG, and air condtioning is down, busses are a moving oven,....and they still send kids to school,,,sorry, thats just as bad as being cold.
anyways....yes, down here, we shut down when it snows or get ice....we are not used to it on a regular basis, so we roll up the sidewalks and stay home....its not a bad thing, its just being safe and smart. no trip to walmart or the mall is worth the risk of freezing or dying. but thats just us southerners.....lol
i am gratefull to know how to drive in the snow and ice now, and well as poster from MI is to, but rememeber when your out on the road...we drive slower and safer....so please...dont rear end us!!!!!!
on that note....hope ya'll dont get the snow and ice....it wasnt supposed to hit east TN like it did....i live in maryville....in the foothills of smokies by near pigeon forge...anyways...it snowed all day...didnt stick bad till abotu 4pm....started to pile up....and now just couple hours later...wet roads are frozen...car windows and doors frozen over....its a mess...about a inch of sloppy slush has now turned to solid ice!!!! schools are shutten down all over.....so keep eye on things...be ready just in case....this system is suprising alot of folks!!! have a good...and hopfully power on and warm night!!!! hugzzz

Old 01-19-2009, 09:35 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,660,050 times
Unfortunately the latest forecasts have shown that most of the moisture will pass to our east towards the sandhills, so we may not get as much snow as previously thought.

Sure would be nice to have a decent snow sometime, but winter still has a couple of months left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina