U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2007, 11:56 AM

122 posts, read 407,402 times

Advertisements

Now, I have had a lot of jobs where I have had the opportunity to be insulted; I have waited tables, driven a cab and a limo, but never have I been speechless over an insult. But then... We are selling our land in Madison County and have placed it on Craig's List. I have talked to wonderful people, except for one. After chatting pleasantly for a few moments about the land and area, he asked me where I was from. I responded that my family has been in WNC since the 1700's. He said..... here it comes.... that was hard to believe " because I sounded intelligent." Silence followed because I was completely unable to articulate even the most simple of animalistic sounds. Not even a "duh" could I utter. 30 seconds or more went by before, I surmise, his wife hit him and he stuttered "I mean, you sound educated." Continued silence. He then went on to say that I was unaccented in my speech etc... Wow. I was able to recover and suggested that perhaps a more semi-urban area closer to Asheville would suit their needs because Madison is a bit rugged and chatted more about the area. But I have not been able to shake the "intelligent" thing. I feel that I should at least say that accented speech and the WNC dialect does not ignorance imply. It truly is a dying few that can speak in the old ways based on our ancestors etc... I wish I could say "warsh the clothes" and "h'it" and "your'n" and could call the fridge a "Kelvinator". But it has slowly through the generations been bled down. Only my great-aunts, ancient farmer women, still spoke that thickly. Has anyone else run into this situation? Interested to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 12:24 PM

21,956 posts, read 21,418,892 times
How sad!! I have family from the eastern most part of the US to CA and we each have our own little accents. I love the southern accent personally. It's charming. My relatives from Texas had strong accents. And here I am in CA., soon moving to NC and people ask where I am from because they seem to note an accent. Well I am from CA., Big Bear Lake. Go figure. And you are so right...an accent of any kind has nothing to do what-so-ever with intelligence!! Where was that guy from?????

Old 03-10-2007, 12:45 PM

10 posts, read 20,758 times
i am sitting here chuckling as i read what you wrote. not at you but at the stupidity of that person. i grew up right outside of philadelphia and am an avid sports fan. we recently moved to the far northeast corner of Pa. and we are soon moving to NC. I encountered quite a few idiots in the town i live in now who automatically assumed i must have thrown iceballs at santa, and i must have a good drug connection. not to mention my connections to organized crime in south philly.
people like that are idiots. they get all their stereotypes from 80's TV. and unfortunately they are never bright enough to even realize when you act as they expect you to and are in reality just making fun of them.
Brendan

Old 03-10-2007, 02:53 PM

2,115 posts, read 6,434,641 times
Hmmmm, you story reminds me of my personal favorite (I swear I get this all the time and have since I was a teen): "You sure don't talk (or sound) Black." Which of course, is meant to be a compliment. I usually reply, "And you certainly didn't appear stupid when we began this conversation."

SL

Old 03-10-2007, 04:55 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,683,346 times
Absolutely! I'm from Hendersonville. Several years ago I was employed at Steelcase, inc. in the Traffic Management Division. In conversation with a fellow employee in the Grand Rapids, MI division I mention stopping for coffee at McDonalds on the way to work. He said, "You have McDonald's down there!" I replied, "Yes. And indoor plumbing and electricity."

What's with people?

Old 03-11-2007, 05:10 AM

57 posts, read 146,435 times
you know 99.9% of the people in this country are not like that it's .1% of us that are idiots and they are much better at it then us smarter people. they know how to get under our skin and they don't even know it and it drives us nuts and they just carry on like nothing happened. who's the dummie?

Old 03-11-2007, 09:07 AM

1,865 posts, read 4,778,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenista View Post
Has anyone else run into this situation? Interested to know.
I did...back in NY. It was for a job I had as an emergency services dispatcher in the county I lived in. The jerk who was in charge told me I had to loose my "Bronx accent" to dispatch properly. I'm very glad I quit that job!!!

BxRosie

Old 03-11-2007, 04:46 PM

359 posts, read 1,694,647 times
I am from the south, but have no accent either. I don't know how that happened. I have had similar reactions. People think if you speak with a southern accent, you are uneducated, narrow-minded and even pleasantly ignorant.
Human beings love to generalize.....I've been guilty of it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina