U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 10:45 AM

105 posts, read 371,393 times

Advertisements

Ok everyone. I am ashamed to say that I have still not switched over my lincense and registration on the car. Well now the inspection is expired and I need to do that too. So I need some help from my favorite people here. I need to know what to do first. I am going to go switch over my license first but then do I inspect it first or register it first. Will they do a NC inspection when the registration says RI? I think that I need to do the registration first but I am not sure. I also heard that now they don't put the stickers on your windshield anymore and that it is linked to your registration so I need to be sure to do it right.

Oh, one more question. Does anyone know of any places in Concord to the inspection. I don't want to just go to any old place and end up somewhere that they tell me everything is wrong and try to rip me off for way more money than I have. I don't even know if they do that here or not but back in RI they did and you really needed to know a mechanic personally not to get screwed by them.

And one more thing.....When are we having another CD meet-up. I can't wait to see you guys again and meet others too.

Christina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 10:56 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,160,031 times
You need to have it inspected with emissions testing done first.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:01 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,913,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
You need to have it inspected with emissions testing done first.
Before registration? I did in the following order, 1. Got my duplicate (well, replacement) SS card from social security, 2. Got my NC drivers license (took written test), 3. Went to the drivers registration/plate DMV office which was a different place from the license place and registered my car. Received a registration and license plate on the spot, after writing a big check!
4. Took the car to my local garage for inspection. I think he needed to see the NC registration but I am not sure (Received NC title in the mail a few days later)

Old 01-21-2009, 12:11 PM

973 posts, read 2,966,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
Before registration? I did in the following order, 1. Got my duplicate (well, replacement) SS card from social security, 2. Got my NC drivers license (took written test), 3. Went to the drivers registration/plate DMV office which was a different place from the license place and registered my car. Received a registration and license plate on the spot, after writing a big check!
4. Took the car to my local garage for inspection. I think he needed to see the NC registration but I am not sure (Received NC title in the mail a few days later)
1. Got my drivers license. Had to take sign/signals test and vision tests.
2. Got my registration and changed the title over to NC. The title was mailed to me a week or two later.
3. Took car for the inspection and they requested my registration when I arrived.
4. A couple months after registering, you get the bill for the personal property tax.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:55 PM

327 posts, read 1,057,553 times
Apparently the order of registration vs. inspection doesn't matter much. I got my license, got the car inspected (I gave them my out of state registration), then got my registration and plates. Got lucky and didn't have to take the written test since I had previously had a NC license and it hadn't expired yet.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:13 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,160,031 times
I was thinking of renewals which they recently changed the rules two months ago:

Quote:
11. Which should I get first, my vehicle registration or my inspection?
Your vehicle must pass inspection before its registration can be renewed. You may have your vehicle inspected up to 90 days prior to your annual vehicle registration due date, but it must be inspected no later than the last day of the month your vehicle registration expires or your registration will be blocked.
It also looks for newly purchased cars you must be inspected first. I would play it safe and get inspection done first.
http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_ser...wnload/faq.pdf

Old 01-21-2009, 02:33 PM

1,852 posts, read 4,666,013 times
Everything did change.. New residents must get inspected first as well.

NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: No More Sticker! New Electronic Inspection

Old 02-25-2010, 08:49 PM

4 posts, read 16,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
Everything did change.. New residents must get inspected first as well.

NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: No More Sticker! New Electronic Inspection
Not sure where you see that. I see
Quote:
18. Iím moving to North Carolina from another state. Will my vehicle need to be inspected before I obtain my North Carolina license plate?

If the vehicle will be operated in North Carolina, you will be allowed to register it without an inspection. When your next annual registration renewal is due, you must have the vehicle inspected to renew your registration.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:15 AM

10,389 posts, read 19,348,367 times
The rules have JUST changed and people are getting "dinged" by it. There was an article in the paper last week.

You now must get the inspection BEFORE they will renew your license sticker. Many people have been sending in the check as usual, only to have them "denied" because the inspection wasn't on record, and then go into "refund limbo" because the state issues them a refund rather than just returning the original check.

It might not be exactly the same way for brand new NC residents, though it sounds as if the computer will kick back a license sticker if there is no registration on record.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:11 PM

21,094 posts, read 23,811,954 times
We just registered our truck. We did NOT have an inspection and we were plated and have title.

Were told we need it inspected before it can be renewed in January 2011.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina