Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 02:12 PM

170 posts, read 566,239 times

Advertisements

Just curious, and very FRUSTRATED! Our house has been for sale for a little while now, and no bites. We are selling it FSBO, and I'm not sure it's working. No offense to realtors, but they are hounding us, and coming out of the woodwork! They want to add their commission to our asking price, so we'll still get what we want. I've had 6 realtors call me in 2 days! I don't know, I'm leary of this, this is the 1st house we've sold, so this is all new to us. Have any of you out there actually sold by owner? Sorry, just needed to vent, schools going to start before you know it, and then I don't know what we'll do if we don't sell soon. They start 3 wks earlier out there! It's getting hard thinking about NC right now, it seems so out of reach!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2006, 02:19 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2boys
Just curious, and very FRUSTRATED! Our house has been for sale for a little while now, and no bites. We are selling it FSBO, and I'm not sure it's working. No offense to realtors, but they are hounding us, and coming out of the woodwork! They want to add their commission to our asking price, so we'll still get what we want. I've had 6 realtors call me in 2 days! I don't know, I'm leary of this, this is the 1st house we've sold, so this is all new to us. Have any of you out there actually sold by owner? Sorry, just needed to vent, schools going to start before you know it, and then I don't know what we'll do if we don't sell soon. They start 3 wks earlier out there! It's getting hard thinking about NC right now, it seems so out of reach!

hmmm....I am not a realtor...but if what you are doing is not working (FSBO)...and realtors are coming out of the woodwork and telling you that even with their commision once they sell the home you will still retain what you want out of the house....why not jump on their bandwagon (in my mind I'm thinking they already have some potential customers for you)?

Old 06-28-2006, 02:22 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,661 times
How long has your home been for sale? Where are you in U.S...you need to be patient - I know this is not what you want to hear...houses in my area (LI, NY) are generally taking longer to sell with and w/out realtors-generally becauase people are on vacation, many people watching interest rates, it is buyers market and those with kids in school, now is not the best time to move...(for me anyway-not enough time to sell my house, and find a new one in 2 months)...has anyone shown interest? Are you getting any calls?

Old 06-28-2006, 02:29 PM

483 posts, read 1,567,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2boys
As much as I know that sellers do not want to give realtors the commission, they have the upper hand because they can network a heck of a lot more than we can. If you want to sell your house quickly, then you may need to go through an agent. If you're not in a rush, then you can do it yourself as you stated. Also check your list price in comparison to other homes such as yours (ie., don't compare a colonial to a ranch; don't do this too much; try and stick with a home like yours). It's very possible that you may be pricing it too high. With the glut of homes on the market, you want to price it right. We had our house on the market 5 weeks ago and we priced it to sell. We did not want to inflate the price because we would end up in the same boat as the rest of the sellers. So we went thru an agent and we ended up pricing it right; matter of fact, we were one of the lowest price homes in comparison to others like ours only because we knew the others were priced very high. We just sold our house this past weekend. Another home just like mine was priced $40k higher and came on the market 3 weeks ago. They just dropped their price $30k from their asking price.

But again, my agent also went around the neighborhood with flyers of our listing and had several open houses. Networking is the best way to get attention. I wish you a lot of luck. I know it's not easy and it will be stressful but you'll get thru it.

Old 06-28-2006, 02:48 PM

Thanks everyone, it's been on the market for a little over a month, which I know is not long, but I'm just getting anxious, with schools and all. (Not to mention cleaning my house top to bottom EVERY day, it's so not fun ). The reason we have it FSBO is that a good friend of ours is a mortgage broker, and she said our house was in SUCH demand, don't even go through a realtor. "We should sell it in days!" And I think we did originally price it a little high, but there weren't other ramblers to compare to, so we didn't know. And now that we've lowered it, we don't have that rush of people like you always do at the beginning. Ugh!! In my perfect little world, we were to be driving to NC now, and getting the kids settled before school starts! We're 30 min. north of Seattle, by the way. I think we might have to rethink this, and find a realtor- shouldn't be hard! Thanks again.

Old 06-28-2006, 02:53 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,661 times
Just another small note, you can neg with all these brokers, if they sell it you can agree to a smaller percentage or in some contracts, you can ask them to still give you the right to sell it on your own and if you do, they get either 1 % or nothing...be careful because a lot of brokers will tell you they will list on MSL and many of them don't, they try and keep it in house so their office gets ALL the commission..but interview a few, and feel them out, this way if you decide to hire one, it is one you feel comfortable with and took your time instead of just signing up with one in a hurry - also let them know you are interviewing and they may offer you something to compete -

Old 06-28-2006, 03:03 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,586,180 times
I tried to sell my first house in NC in N. Raleigh For Sale By Onwer and it sat on the market for a good 4-5 months. We then switched to Fonville Morrisey and the house sold about a month after that. While some realtors may play a little dirty with both the buyers and the sellers.... they usually get the house sold way faster than you can FSBO. I used the same realtor to sell that house as I had used to buy it, so that might have had something to do with it.

Old 06-28-2006, 03:05 PM

That's great advice! I had three realtors call me this morning, the first one said he'll charge a flat fee of $4k. The next one said don't do it, he'll have hidden fees. Go with her, she'll just charge $5500 and alternate MLS on the computer, and newspaper. The third said, don't go with her, sounds bad alternating. He'll just charge 9k over our price. Oh my gosh, I should have taken a realtor's class. This is so new to me!

Old 06-28-2006, 03:07 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,586,180 times
Do you still have contact with the realtor that sold you the house?

Old 06-28-2006, 03:15 PM

No, she was new to the business at the time (we were her first clients), and was the wife of a firefighter friend of ours (my husband's a firefighter also.). Well, in the last 7 yrs, she had an affair, and divorced, and is in hiding now. (that's another story). Sounds like a soap opera, doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina