U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 09:28 AM

8 posts, read 28,175 times

Advertisements

Me and the family are moving to Rocky Mount in May. What Im wondering is, if they have houses that they rent out by the month for people that need a place to stay for a month or two? Ive tried calling around to the hotels that have little kitchens but there asking for $3000.00 a month. They dont do weekly rates or monthly rates. I know theres no way that I can afford that much. So I was wondering if anyone knew a place that offered weekly rents or monthly. Ive searched the internet for hours and cant seem to find anything. So I thought maybe someone from there knew of a place or two. Or even if its a town over that wasnt to far so I could still make it to Rocky Mount to pick out a house. If anyone could help that would be great. This is the only thing thats holding me back. Thanks trish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 02:21 PM

2,051 posts, read 4,843,054 times
Without sounding harsh.... Is there a particular reason you're moving to Rocky Mount. I've been there a few times and I didn't really see anything appealing about the "city". My wife and I drove around for quite a while and all we saw was block after block of run down businesses and houses.

I know a person who just moved to Tarboro this past Friday. Tarboro is right down 64 from Rocky Mount. She didn't ask me anything about eastern NC before she moved there. Well she's only been there for 2 days and she's already regreting making that move.

Old 03-11-2007, 03:12 PM

Well the reason why Im moving to Rocky Mount is because I spend hours on the computer trying to pick the perfect location in NC. And thats hard to do because everyone has there own opinon about the different towns. SO I said screw it Im going to pick the first town that comes to mind. And it so happened to be Rocky Mount. So Thats where Im going, ANd If I dont like it Ill move t o another town. I know alot of people must think Im crazy because Im moving To NC blind as a bat, but at this point I dont care. Things in this town have gotten to violent with the gangs around here. ANd yes I know there is gangs every where. And theres gangs in NC but come on now, my opinon of a gang is totaly different then most southerns. So I am taking my family out of this town and moving it down there. Im willing to put up with the struggle thats going to come with moving to a state that I know little about and having to start over with two small child. Ive prepared myself and ready to go. I do have this question how many of you in NC have to have your child drop to the ground because a car is driving to slow down the street and your in fear that they will get shot because you think its a drive by??? SO with that said can someone please help me find a temp place to stay that rents by the week or the month? Trish

Old 03-11-2007, 04:56 PM

449 posts, read 1,027,044 times
Trish-I have to ask where are you moving from? I moved to Farmville-near Greenville 40 mins south of Rocky Mount from Florida about 8 mths ago with my son & wow talk about culture shock. You may be greatly disappointed with the eastern carolina schools. I think Greenville may be a better area for you than Rocky Mount-really nothing in Rocky Mount. I work with someone who lives in rocky mnt,I could ask him for you-but think about Greenville instead.

Old 03-11-2007, 05:31 PM

My first choice was Greenville but Ive heard its too much of a party town. SO I decided to go to Rocky Mount. Im coming from Springfield, Mass. I hope im not disappointed with the schools. My oldest daughter who is six has asperger autism, so I hope they can handle that. Shes a great kid, just has problems being social and such. Is Rocky Mount more like country and is Greenville more like city? Is there any places in Greenville that offer short term living> THat I can pay weekly or monthly. I think my biggest concern right now is making sure I have some where that my kids can lay there head at night, until I find an apartment. I really want country living right now. Some where quite so me and the girls can unwind. I hear that if you drive a few mins out of Greenville you hit country? Is that true? Trish

Old 03-12-2007, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish13011
My first choice was Greenville but Ive heard its too much of a party town. Is Rocky Mount more like country and is Greenville more like city? Is there any places in Greenville that offer short term living> THat I can pay weekly or monthly. I hear that if you drive a few mins out of Greenville you hit country? Is that true? Trish
There is an area of downtown with bars, clubs and restuarants that caters to the students but it's pretty easy to tell which part it is and if you don't like the party atmosphere just don't go there at night. It takes up about a 3 or 4 block area in a city with a whole lot of blocks and if you don't go looking for it you would probably never notice it. It's not like the students go on drunken brawls and rampages throughout the city.

Rocky Mount and Greenville are both cities. The biggest difference is time stopped in Rocky Mount back in the 60s and Greenville is going full steam ahead. Greenville is just like any other medium sized city. It has it good parts and bad parts. Fortunately the good parts far, far outweigh the bad parts.

Rocky Mount is the opposite of Greenville. There has been no economic boom there. A huge percentage of the shopping and retail that was the main areas back in the 60s and 70s is still there. There has been very little building occuring there since then.

For rentals you can look in the classifieds in the local newspaper for Greenville at www.reflector.com. There are also many apartment buildings in Greenville that don't advertise in the newspaper. Greenville does have a lot of brand new apartments available.

I live just south of Greenville. It takes me 10 minutes to get to shopping and 15 minutes to get to the mall. I have a horse pasture on one side and behind my house and a cornfield on the other side. How's that for being close to the city and still living in the country? Once you drive out of the Greenville you are in the country, that's for sure.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:16 AM

402 posts, read 1,993,833 times
Trish - I have a client that has over 60 rental houses (I was just talking to him Friday). Would you like me to ask him if he has anything available? I work in Nashville, which is just west of Nashville....far better for you and the kids. REALLY cute, better schools, better environment. If you are interested, PM me so that I could give him your number if he has something!

Old 03-12-2007, 01:47 PM

Thanks Richard for all your help. Your post made me crack up laughing this morning, I dont know why, but I found it pretty funny! Anyway Vetegnc I send you a message.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:16 PM

I wholeheartedly recommend you do some research on Nashville before you move there. The 75% school graduation rate doesn't give me a lot of confidence in their school system. I suspect that Nashville is just a poorer version of Rocky Mount.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:24 AM

57 posts, read 392,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
There is an area of downtown with bars, clubs and restuarants that caters to the students but it's pretty easy to tell which part it is and if you don't like the party atmosphere just don't go there at night. It takes up about a 3 or 4 block area in a city with a whole lot of blocks and if you don't go looking for it you would probably never notice it. It's not like the students go on drunken brawls and rampages throughout the city.

Rocky Mount and Greenville are both cities. The biggest difference is time stopped in Rocky Mount back in the 60s and Greenville is going full steam ahead. Greenville is just like any other medium sized city. It has it good parts and bad parts. Fortunately the good parts far, far outweigh the bad parts.

Rocky Mount is the opposite of Greenville. There has been no economic boom there. A huge percentage of the shopping and retail that was the main areas back in the 60s and 70s is still there. There has been very little building occuring there since then.
For rentals you can look in the classifieds in the local newspaper for Greenville at Reflector.com: -- The Daily Reflector online. There are also many apartment buildings in Greenville that don't advertise in the newspaper. Greenville does have a lot of brand new apartments available.

I live just south of Greenville. It takes me 10 minutes to get to shopping and 15 minutes to get to the mall. I have a horse pasture on one side and behind my house and a cornfield on the other side. How's that for being close to the city and still living in the country? Once you drive out of the Greenville you are in the country, that's for sure.
Rocky Mount sucks these days, but you just embarrassed yourself with those statements. Rocky Mount's retail areas have grown a lot starting in the mid 80s with Golden East Mall opening. Throughout the 90s a TON of shopping centers, restaraunts, and stores were built on the 301 corridor. Im just shocked by your statement. Its like you havnt visited Rocky Mount since the 70s, LOL. And I wouldnt be bragging about Greenville either. It kinda sucks too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina