U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-12-2007, 06:55 PM

6 posts, read 13,285 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I are in our 20's and looking to get out of Michigan! We have considered some different states and like the sound of North Carolina. We are taking a 3-day trip this coming weekend and need some help forming an itinerary. Neither of us have been to North Carolina before, so any advice you can give would be of great help to us. We plan to visit 3 or 4 different cities...Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Greensboro, and Winston-Salem.

We are interested in a safe, suburban area within approximately 20-30 minutes of the downtown area. We are looking to buy a home within the next year in a growing area with good home appreciation. We would like to be in a nice neighborhood and stay within the range of $140,000 to $170,000.

We would greatly appreciate it if you could recommend a few different cities and possibly a handful of must-see residential areas that fit our description above. Also, if you have recommendations for places we should check out in one or more of the cities - parks, shopping districts, etc - that would be great as well. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 07:43 PM

4 posts, read 8,340 times
Default checking out NC

Hi,
We are just moving from Durham to Pittsboro, but Durham was a great starting point for us. We live in a nice neighborhood, and while we rent the houses are relativly inexpensive. I'm not sure you will find a home in good condition in the price range you've outlined in any of the metro areas, but you can certaintly rent a very nice place while you save up for a house. We have been renting a 2 year old house for the past year.
We chose this area because of the abundance of jobs, proxmity to the airport (RDU has some of the cheapest flights in the country), the taxes, and the overall cost of living. We contacted real estate associates in durham to line up some apartments to look at when we came for 3 days last spring. 3 days is not much time and it would be hard to see all the areas you want to see in that time.
IN Raleigh - Durham you should check out Hope Valley Farms and Laurel Glen for housing, Landon Farms is has nice homes but they are very close together. For shopping make sure you check out Fayettville St in Raleigh and Southpoint in Durham. If you have any other questions i'd be happy to answer them.
amy

Old 03-12-2007, 08:15 PM

161 posts, read 498,578 times
I am a local realtor who deals with many relocations. How is this for Southern Hospitality-When you come to Raleigh, I could meet you for a quick cup of coffee, set you up with a relo package; maps, area guides, that can help you self navigate efficiently through the area. It would only take 1/2 hour and you could really learn more about the area much more efficiently. The Triangle area is very large and you could literally just get lost around town. Just PM me if you are interested.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:35 PM

385 posts, read 731,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlywedsNeedAPush View Post
Hi! My husband and I are in our 20's and looking to get out of Michigan! We have considered some different states and like the sound of North Carolina. We are taking a 3-day trip this coming weekend and need some help forming an itinerary. Neither of us have been to North Carolina before, so any advice you can give would be of great help to us. We plan to visit 3 or 4 different cities...Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Greensboro, and Winston-Salem.

We are interested in a safe, suburban area within approximately 20-30 minutes of the downtown area. We are looking to buy a home within the next year in a growing area with good home appreciation. We would like to be in a nice neighborhood and stay within the range of $140,000 to $170,000.

We would greatly appreciate it if you could recommend a few different cities and possibly a handful of must-see residential areas that fit our description above. Also, if you have recommendations for places we should check out in one or more of the cities - parks, shopping districts, etc - that would be great as well. Thank you in advance!

I moved to NC from Michigan when I was in my mid-20's. I have spent a lot of time in all of those cities you mentioned including living stints in Greensboro and Raleigh.

For me, I would narrow your list to Charlotte and Raleigh. Greensboro and Durham are not nearly as nice IMO. I really didn't like the Greensboro area as I found it to be very boring and not as upscale as Charlotte/Raleigh.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:30 AM

6 posts, read 9,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlywedsNeedAPush View Post

Raleigh is a great area and is in Wake county, but you won't find much house for 140,000 - 170,000 in Wake County. I would look in Johnston County ( it borders Wake to the Southeast) The western part of Johnston is getting as expensive as Wake, but you could go to Smithfield, Benson, or Four Oaks (which are all small towns) and get a lot more for your money. All three are about 30 minutes from Raleigh. Wake county schools are no longer on par with Johnston county either (in case children are in your future). If you want some land to go with your house you have a better chanse of finding it in South, East, or North Johnston County. If you want to live in the country we have 40 acres for sale south of Smithfield. early84459@mypacks.net

Old 03-16-2007, 09:02 AM

10 posts, read 19,689 times
Default Native Charlotte Realtor

Hey--

I am a native of Charlotte and a realtor here. If you need some relo info let me know and I catch up with you while your in town, or I will sent you a relo package. Being married and in my 20's I could give you a good idea of what to expect from Charlotte.

Feel free to PM me.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:32 AM

7 posts, read 10,969 times
Default RE: Checking out North Carolina this weekend help

Wow is everyone from Michigan trying or moving to NC. I just recently started posting on this board about moving to NC. My husband and I are in our early thirty's and we been talking about moving south for the past seven years. I really wish we would have done it when we were in our 20's. Now it is harder because we own a home and have to sell it and leave so many people behind if we want to move. I recently got my degree in accounting and have been working at a small private company doing accounting clerk work for past 8 years. Now i want a new job in a larger company where I can grow and use my degree, I have had no real luck in my job search in past year here in Michigan. My husband whom works for a beer distributor has had no luck moving up in his company nor no luck finding a new job. WE found the Raleigh and Charlotte area to have tons of jobs. We went to raleigh a year ago and loved the area. Never been to Charlotte though. if you find an area down there you like I would say go for it and move, Michigan probably only is going to get worst and you are young enough the move will be easier. WE are still considering trying to sell our house this summer and if we sell moving down there and finding jobs, we have to really think this over though first, I don't want to make any mistakes.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:19 AM

1,512 posts, read 4,772,831 times
Hi!
You didnt mention which downtown city you were referring to?

Anyway, my opinion?
Clayton.

Also, look under www.craigslist.org under "Real Estate" to kind of give you an idea.
I found that the best "older" homes that are extremely nice, were in Clayton. Also, new homes (Anderson, Centex and even KB homes) fall right around your price range.

If you are looking for a townhouse, you can find some pretty nice ones in that range as well.

Clayton borders Garner, which has plenty of shopping and Smithfield is next door (Carolina Premimum outlet shopping). Plus, everyone here is super nice!
Great schools too (if you have kids)
Its about a 20 minute drive into Raleigh, and this community is rapidly growing.

PM if you have any additional questions. I'm going to try to post some Clayton photos this weekend!

Old 03-16-2007, 10:29 AM

271 posts, read 845,365 times
Knightdale and Eastern Wake County is a good Place to look for homes in that Price Range and have fairly good access to Downtown Raleigh. In fact you can see downtown Raleigh from parts of Knightdale which is fairly hilly.

Also consider the towns of Fuquay-Varina and Wendell.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:13 AM

88 posts, read 259,444 times
My fiance' and I are from Michigan and also planning to move to NC. I'm starting to feel bad for the North Carolinians. I hope that everyone intends to blend in to their culture rather than subject them to ours! My post is "Asheville, Greenville, Wilmington?" on this board. - Brandon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina