U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-12-2007, 11:26 PM
 
4 posts, read 10,106 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I'm a 24 year old college grad, currently waitress while I try to figure things out, who has spent my life in Rochester, NY (as well as 4 years of college in Syracuse).

I am seriously considering a move to NC and want to know more about the areas down there. I currently have an interest in either Raleigh or Charlotte and would love to hear the pros & cons of each for single 20-somethings.

Night life is important to me...I want somewhere with good restaurants and entertainment, but I also want to feel safe.

I'd love to hear opinions, especially from other northerners who have relocated, and if you have other suggestions aside from Raleigh or Charlotte I'd be interested in those as well. Basically I'm looking for somewhere safe, friendly, but with a good social scene for someone my age. I can't take these long winters anymore which is my main reason for wanting to move.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-13-2007, 07:02 AM
 
Location: Concord, NC
1,418 posts, read 6,375,130 times
Reputation: 635
Both would be good areas. The Raleigh area has lots of colleges and Charlotte is full of young professionals. Uptown Charlotte is a very lively area with an nice urban feel. What kind of work will you be doing? Charlotte's economy is geared toward banking/finance/insurance and Raleigh's toward hi tech/R&D/education. That's a big factor to consider.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2007, 08:09 AM
 
2 posts, read 3,955 times
Reputation: 11
Cool Hi

Well if you are still looking to move to Raleigh I have a lot of information. There are great shopping centers, plenty of movies, clubs and its safe. Just like New York its really busy with lots of traffic and houses. Raleigh is a great place to live. But you still have to be careful like you would any other place. The people there are very friendly, so if someone says hi dont worry!!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2007, 02:14 PM
 
4 posts, read 10,106 times
Reputation: 10
Forbes.com did a review on 40 US cities (Best Cities for Singles) ranking them in each of 6 categories. Not that I way this stuff too heavily, but I can't help but ask when trying to make such an important decision...for 4 years in a row, Raleigh did very poorly in the "nightlife" category.

Those of you who do live in Raleigh, do you feel that there is enough to do at night?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2007, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,272,389 times
Reputation: 2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer82 View Post
Forbes.com did a review on 40 US cities (Best Cities for Singles) ranking them in each of 6 categories. Not that I way this stuff too heavily, but I can't help but ask when trying to make such an important decision...for 4 years in a row, Raleigh did very poorly in the "nightlife" category.

Those of you who do live in Raleigh, do you feel that there is enough to do at night?
With a 24 year old college grad I'll put on the father's cap and say, "There better not be too much to do in Raleigh".
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2007, 03:30 PM
 
Location: Woodlynne NJ
219 posts, read 787,917 times
Reputation: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer82 View Post
I'm a 24 year old college grad, currently waitress while I try to figure things out, who has spent my life in Rochester, NY (as well as 4 years of college in Syracuse).

I am seriously considering a move to NC and want to know more about the areas down there. I currently have an interest in either Raleigh or Charlotte and would love to hear the pros & cons of each for single 20-somethings.

Night life is important to me...I want somewhere with good restaurants and entertainment, but I also want to feel safe.

I'd love to hear opinions, especially from other northerners who have relocated, and if you have other suggestions aside from Raleigh or Charlotte I'd be interested in those as well. Basically I'm looking for somewhere safe, friendly, but with a good social scene for someone my age. I can't take these long winters anymore which is my main reason for wanting to move.
I am prejudiced towards the NC/SC border area on the coast.
You want restaurants? From the worst to the best.
You have entertainment and loads of things to do in Myrtle.
You mave be some hours from Raleigh/Durham but like I tell people.........if you want loud and crowds? You can always find them. Just get in your car. You want quite and peaceful? You stay home.
Denny
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2007, 04:00 PM
 
5,265 posts, read 14,872,762 times
Reputation: 4238
Well....I was also born and raised in Rochester (Greece to be exact) and have lived in and around Raleigh for the past 12 years. This is a nice place to live....but I'm moving back to Rochester soon. There's just no place like home.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2007, 09:56 PM
 
4 posts, read 10,106 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
Well....I was also born and raised in Rochester (Greece to be exact) and have lived in and around Raleigh for the past 12 years. This is a nice place to live....but I'm moving back to Rochester soon. There's just no place like home.
"i'minformed," As a Rochester native, I'm directing this next question to you...
things have probably changed since you last lived here, but would you maybe be able to tell me if there's an area of Raleigh similar to Rochester's Park Ave? I was born in Greece, then grew up in Penfield/Fairport area, and after returning to Rochester after college decided I wanted to be in the city. I've now lived in the Park Ave area for two years and absolutely adore it. I know I'm going to miss it terribly and it is home to me, but I really want to be somewhere with a warmer climate and know I will regret it in the future if I don't at least give this a shot...besides, as you know from experience, I can always come back home if I don't like it
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2007, 08:18 PM
 
5,265 posts, read 14,872,762 times
Reputation: 4238
This is true...Rocheter is easier to come back to than the exepsnive places like NYC or Boston. I really can't think of amything in Raleigh similar to Park Avnue...this city just isn't old enough. I mean, there are old neighborhoods , but none of them are really "urban". At the time the Park Avenue area came into prestige around the late 1800's and early 1900's, Rochester was an urban meltingpot city of a couple hundred thousand people.....Raleigh was a sleepy town of about one tenth the population of Rochester For the most urban experience, you would pretty much have to be "inside the beltline"...which is going to cost you top dollar.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2007, 01:36 AM
 
Location: Jackson, MS
473 posts, read 1,451,673 times
Reputation: 82
Red face What do you miss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
Well....I was also born and raised in Rochester (Greece to be exact) and have lived in and around Raleigh for the past 12 years. This is a nice place to live....but I'm moving back to Rochester soon. There's just no place like home.
i'minformed, what do you miss? I've been gone from the Rochester/Syracuse area for over 9 years now and I can't imagine going back, I'd freeze! Maybe to visit Nick's for a garbage plate, or the Lilac Festival, or Park End Fest...

I've been gone too long, I just can't go back, nor do I want to. But I'm curious why some come and go back...
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top