Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 09:11 AM

67 posts, read 254,349 times

Advertisements

Can anyone describe the culture in NC (specifically the Charlotte area).

I've read a lot of posts and it seems like a very religious area. This is fine by me but as someone that is not regilous at all I was wondering if it is something that is "forced" by the culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 09:44 AM

251 posts, read 1,142,577 times
Threads like this seem to be repeating a lot on this board. Ummmm. Wonder why that is? Either some people in other parts of the country have us stereotyped or the pitchforks we have down at our county courthouses have some people running scared.

Well, anyone is welcome in the South which is why people from many different places, cultures, and belief systems live here. And a lot of people actually like it here.

But if you come down and think that someone wishing you a Merry Christmas or saying God bless is "forcing" something on you, then you won't be happy. You'll often be disgruntled and peeved.

People here don't generally hide their faith just because someone else considers freedom of speech offensive.

There is no way people in America can "force" someone to believe anything against their will.

At least, as long as Americans stay vigilant about who they put in office.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:16 AM

67 posts, read 254,349 times
Don't get me wrong I'm not super sensitive about someone wishing me a Merry Christmas or say God Bless you. That is all fine and good and I think as a whole people take things way to serious.

What I mean is really pushing their beliefs on you. I have no problem with someone being passionate about what they believe in fact that's great. But I don't want someone knocking on my door everyday pushing the bible you know. What I'm talking about is extreme. I only ask because I've had a few people message me talking about church etc and that is fine with me but just not what I believe. So I was just looking for some clarification on what others take of it is.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:24 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,147,867 times
Tolerate and you'll be tolerated.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:45 AM

474 posts, read 2,192,007 times
I've never had anyone knock on my door with religious handouts here in the mountains. Fine if they do, just take the literature, say thank you have a nice day, and get on with your day.

You need to be more concerned about the following fact:

Last edited by RaleighRob; 03-13-2007 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: off-topic

Old 03-13-2007, 10:56 AM

124 posts, read 168,126 times
This state is very diverse. I travel throughout the state on business so I've seen a lot.

I am located in Charlotte. Charlotte is a city with a lot going on culturally, socially and economically. Do people go to church? Sure. Does EVERYONE? No. I am not religious, and have never felt out of place.
Raleigh and the RTP area has one of the highest number of people with doctorate degrees in the nation. Very educated, very open, very friendly community.
Asheville is lovely. Small-town feel, friendly people, do not find it overly religious.

In fact, I doubt you will feel that "old south" and "why don't you go to church?" feel unless you moved to a small town away from a metro area. I will say I have been asked that previous question more than once in areas such as Lenoir and smaller mountain towns, usually by older folks-- but that's it.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:47 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,905,951 times
I live in the Charltote area. I'm also a devout christian (and educated ). Trust me, as long as you don't buy into stereotypes, you'll do fine here. Charlotte is an area that has a great mix of conservatives/liberals who generally get along well. No one feels they have to hide or compromise who they are in order to be friendly of get along. The key, as one poster said, be tolerant, and most likely others will as well. Good luck!!!

Old 03-13-2007, 12:21 PM

251 posts, read 1,142,577 times
Raleigh and the RTP area has one of the highest number of people with doctorate degrees in the nation. Very educated, very open, very friendly community.

Yes, and most of them Christians living in the Bible Belt.

I only ask because I've had a few people message me talking about church etc and that is fine with me but just not what I believe. So I was just looking for some clarification on what others take of it is.

You've written 9 posts on this board since very recently joining and you say a few people are messenging you to talk about church?

I'm fairly new here too and no one knew whether I was a Christian or not for quite a while as in most of my posts the topic never comes up.

And I never once have been messaged to talk about church.

But you say that with only 9 posts since joining within the past week or so, you've had a few message you to proselytize?

How many exactly?

That's pretty incredible having several people message you about church in one week or so.

Wow.

I know I didn't message you. I'm sorry others are "forcing" their beliefs on you.

Wow. Life's rough, isn't it?

Old 03-13-2007, 01:09 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,405,822 times
Exclamation Warning/Reminder

OK folks....

A) Please do not go off-topic of what the original thread is about. That will be considered "thread-jacking" and the city-data forum moderators, including myself, are increasingly losing patience on that regard.

and

B) Please do keep the tone and discussion civil. If the question of this thread insults you, you do not have to post an answer, you could simply ignore it instead. Obviously this is something the poster would like to know about the area for a good reason, or they would not have posted it. (If you find a thread topic that is out of line, you can always report it...but that's not the case for this one so far.)

Thank You.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:24 PM

474 posts, read 2,192,007 times
Back to the topic of "culture" of an area, the southern tradition includes "church families". They stick together, they welcome newcomers into their congregations, and they are the first to help you out if the time comes. That is true for employment, illness, and other neighborly causes. When they ask if "... you've found a church yet", they are merely being friendly in their way and showing manners, trying to draw you in to their family. You can't get more welcoming than that. Nothing to be offended about, consider it friendliness.

They are for the most part the givers, not the takers. Just remember to give back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina