U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 05:14 PM

212 posts, read 987,586 times

Advertisements

Don't run afoul of the "Porch Couch" law! Wilson actually has a law outlawing the placing of living room furniture on the front porch! Imagine!
That's freaking communism if you ask me!

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...29/ai_20521271
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2006, 06:06 PM

1,735 posts, read 4,220,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clodhopper
Don't run afoul of the "Porch Couch" law! Wilson actually has a law outlawing the placing of living room furniture on the front porch! Imagine!
That's freaking communism if you ask me!

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...29/ai_20521271
What! Where's my dog supposed to sleep?

Old 06-20-2006, 06:12 PM

4,958 posts, read 10,563,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC
What! Where's my dog supposed to sleep?
Forget about the dog! Where would my in-laws sleep???

Old 06-20-2006, 06:55 PM

787 posts, read 3,316,802 times
Okay you two you are cracking me up. Is this honestly the best they can do? In Greene County (a bordering county of Wilson County) you can't have a unregistered vehicle on your property if you live in the city limits. In other words, no vehicles on blocks in the back yard. Now where is the fun in that when that is what people expect us to do? I have to say though I am not surprised. What about the car seats that people leave on the property? Any laws on that?

Old 06-21-2006, 08:24 PM

12,000 posts, read 28,233,094 times
I sold a home in Johnston County in a subdivision that was pretty far out without alot of homes in the area. It had been just woods and I guess alot of hunters had been using the woods for target practice or hunting. One of the covenants stated that there was to be "no shooting of firearms in the subdivision". Being from North Raleigh and a bit more "city like", we laughed about it but one day, while doing an inspection, we heard gunshots in the area. I said that I wasn't going to be the one to tell the guy with the gun about the covenants!!! Vicki

Old 06-22-2006, 09:25 PM

75 posts, read 245,390 times
LOL! Well, gow'lee! I might just have to make mention of this in my novels somewhere...

Thanks for the giggle, y'all!

Old 06-22-2006, 09:36 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,870,706 times
Uh... you think that's bad? When we lived in Cary, we left our towels out to dry on the front porch railings, and received a nasty letter from the TOWN, saying that such rude and OBNOXIOUS behavior would not be accepted and that we would be fined next time! I'm sorry but I really hate that snooty town.

Old 06-22-2006, 10:09 PM

693 posts, read 2,544,719 times
I personally think that having towels hung on the front porch can be quite unsightly

[note to self: ask realtor to include Cary in my searches]

Old 06-22-2006, 10:47 PM

787 posts, read 3,316,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianalee4jc
LOL! Well, gow'lee! I might just have to make mention of this in my novels somewhere...

Thanks for the giggle, y'all!

Hey don't forget the seats of a car that are pulled out of cars and left in the yard as "patio furniture" if you will. That is not to mention the big spools that wire come on that some people use for picnic tables. And let's see what else I can come up with, the very first car the hubby owned is now under a shade tree strung up by the (what the heck is that word for the thing you pull a motor out of a car with?) Some trampolines that have way passed their prime can be seen out in yards, along with "left overs" from a hurricane that the owners couldn't bear to part with as the fence or even parts of a tree particularly the stump. And what good old fashion North Carolina yard would be complete without a tire swing hung from the higest oak tree in the yard.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:10 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,167,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
Uh... you think that's bad? When we lived in Cary, we left our towels out to dry on the front porch railings, and received a nasty letter from the TOWN, saying that such rude and OBNOXIOUS behavior would not be accepted and that we would be fined next time! I'm sorry but I really hate that snooty town.

:::shudder:::
Thank Bob we live in the country

Neither we or our neighbors do anything so trashy as has been written about in this thread, but we do have privacy and a sense of "people mind their own d* business" where we live.

I sometimes drape area rugs across the side of my pickup to hose down if one of the animals p**s on it, then they get hung across the deck rail to dry. Dh, when he smoked, was sometimes wont to sit out on the deck in his skivvies in the early morning to puff a cigarette and listen to the birds chatter off in the woods. No one could see him, and if they did they *shrugged* and thought nothing of it since they probably did the same things themselves. If the trash bag needs to go out and I set it on the porch for a few hours before taking it around back to the bin because I'm busy with other chores - no big deal. No one will see, or care, honestly. We've purchased items in large boxes, cutting down the cardboard and piling it on the porch, to be taken to the dump the next day. No one in our neighborhood carped.

I'm glad to see people pointing out the "busybody" areas so I can avoid them. Frankly, I'd machine gun anyone who tried to force me to live in one. I wonder if the town officials come around and measure the circumference of flower pots to see if anyone is in violation of the standard issue ordinance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina