Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 04:24 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murtha View Post
Thanks for all the additional information! I think I will be able to manage the salaries -- I lead a pretty inextravagant lifestyle. I'm single and prefer renting, so all I need is a pet-friendly apartment for me and my cat, and I'm set. I always get a two-bedroom apartment -- the second bedroom is for my library. Here in Appleton such apartments, including pet fee and garage, are to be had in the $500-600 range.
If you are looking for something similar in NC, you need to concentrate on rural areas. Rental rates are much higher in the larger cities. Another thing to consider is that most managed apartments require a monthly income that is three times the monthly rental rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 04:42 PM

182 posts, read 369,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
If you are looking for something similar in NC, you need to concentrate on rural areas. Rental rates are much higher in the larger cities. Another thing to consider is that most managed apartments require a monthly income that is three times the monthly rental rate.
I understand that urban rents will be higher than what I'm used to. The 3x rule should not be a problem.

Texas has one advantage over North Carolina and Florida in my search: the cost of housing is in some cases less than what I've been paying.

Dallas 83/93 52/79
Houston 83/86 52/65
Fort Worth 83/78 52/45
San Antonio 83/75 52/47
Austin 83/96 52/97
El Paso 83/80 52/48
Amarillo 83/74 52/38

The first sets of figures are the overall cost of living, with Appleton at baseline 83 (compared to national average 100); the second set of figures is housing cost, with Appleton at baseline 52.

All the Texas cities but Austin should be well within my means.

Here are the comparisons for Charlotte and Raleigh:

Charlotte 83/91 52/78
Raleigh 83/106 52/111

Raleigh might be beyond my means. Charlotte is comparable to Dallas (which is on the higher side for the Texas cities).

Here are the major Florida cities:

Jacksonville 83/91 52/82
Gainesville 83/91 52/80
Tampa 83/95 52/84
Orlando 83/94 52/84
Miami 83/137 52/190
Key West 83/168 52/278

I could handle the first four cities listed, which are comparable to Charlotte and Dallas.

Overall, on the basis of cost and with an emphasis on housing, Houston, Fort Worth, and San Antonio are three of the most attractive cities, not just in these three states, but the entire U.S.

POSTSCRIPT: I should add, I think that rents nationwide are going to be dropping throughout 2009, in some cases dramatically. The recession bites, but that will be one of its few moderately beneficial side effects on the consumer side.

Last edited by Patrick Murtha; 02-08-2009 at 04:52 PM..

Old 02-08-2009, 06:25 PM

210 posts, read 507,539 times
Quote:
Quote:
Sure. And higher education is even worse on the labor side -- constantly replacing well-paid tenure-track faculty with dirt-cheap benefit-less adjuncts. In that case we are talking about equivalently talented people in both categories, but the few tenure-track faculty have a future and the many adjuncts don't (which means that they will wash out of the profession). Higher education, for all its supposed sensitivity to social responsibility, actually constitutes one of the most brutally exploitive labor markets out there.
This one I can really answer to. I am one of those former adjunct professors in Massachusetts. I was VERY well respected and liked by the students, . ALL my evaluations were mostly 5's with an occasional 4, and my courses were filled before anyone else's. I revamped courses, worked with students separately if needed, and always treated them fairly. Students openly thanked me for all that I taught them, and I am still in contact with some of them.

When they finally had some full-time positions open, they offered me a 1 year contract and a 5 year contract to someone they had to bring in. They figured they had me entrenched, and I could go back to teaching adjunct if they lost one of the full-time positions. Students actually protested to the Dean, but it did no good. By this time, I had gone into the industry I was teaching, so I taught my final evening courses, then stopped teaching with them. I made much more in my day job, but I really miss teaching.

The prof they brought in was a total failure. The mouth on her was totally unprofessional. She was continually brought in to the director's office for verbally fighting with students, and after a few years, she left. The person who replaced her had plenty of tenure and had been banished from the department several years before. They had a continual losing cycle going on but couldn't understand why their retention rate was so poor.

I'm now looking at some higher education positions here in NC, and I'm hoping this time will be different. After all, it's a different state.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:49 PM

I wish you better luck in North Carolina!

BTW, I have a Birman as my companion cat -- a breed similar to the Ragdoll in temperament, although physically smaller. Claire is very puppy-like, a sweet, devoted cat. She follows me whatever I'm doing!

Old 02-08-2009, 09:43 PM

210 posts, read 507,539 times
Quote:
Quote:
I wish you better luck in North Carolina!

BTW, I have a Birman as my companion cat -- a breed similar to the Ragdoll in temperament, although physically smaller. Claire is very puppy-like, a sweet, devoted cat. She follows me whatever I'm doing!
Aw, she must be beautiful! Birman's are smaller, but they look so very much like the Ragdolls. My Mackie has beautiful blue eyes, weighs from 13 to 16 lbs depending on the time of year, and he is blue mitted. He also follows me around, like a puppy.

Wherever you go, make sure you get to take your Claire!

Old 02-08-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragdoll Kitty Lover View Post
Aw, she must be beautiful! Birman's are smaller, but they look so very much like the Ragdolls. My Mackie has beautiful blue eyes, weighs from 13 to 16 lbs depending on the time of year, and he is blue mitted. He also follows me around, like a puppy.

Wherever you go, make sure you get to take your Claire!
I certainly shall! Claire is about 8 pounds. She is a seal point, with the four white paws ("gloves") characteristic of Birmans. She is a very fastidious and dignified cat. She was a rescue cat, who had a rough early life of which I don't know the details; I found her through Petfinder.com six years ago, living in a foster home at that point. She is about 13 or 14 years old now, in great health and with plenty of youthful spirit still. I couldn't ask for a better companion.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:15 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
There is a hiring freeze at the Wake County School system until June 2009; this includes Raleigh and Cary, NC. Google "Wake County School system" to find more on their home page.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:39 PM

256 posts, read 1,145,302 times
Default Cms cancels job fair

Here is the latest on the CMS Job Fair:

DISTRICT NEWS

CMS Job Fair cancelled; transfer fair for new schools only

This time of year, we would normally begin the busy staffing period in preparation for the coming school year. This year, CMS is faced with unfamiliar challenges as we prepare to make reductions to current staffing levels.

In order to maintain as much stability in our schools as possible, we will have a transfer fair for new schools only.

The annual job fair, which was scheduled to be held at the Charlotte Convention Center on April 18, has been canceled, as have all out-of-town and overnight recruitment trips. We will participate in local recruitment efforts as we continue to strengthen relationships with the surrounding colleges and universities.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:10 PM

Well, one perseveres, or one lies down and gives up. Not much choice there, wouldn't you agree?

I'm treating this like our Great Depression. I see no evidence that it isn't.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:01 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Well, one perseveres, or one lies down and gives up. Not much choice there, wouldn't you agree?

I'm treating this like our Great Depression. I see no evidence that it isn't.
Plenty of difference between this recession and the Great Depression But being financially conservative is probably a great idea for everyone right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina