Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2009, 09:04 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,166,303 times

Advertisements

Why are Western and Eastern North Carolina's economies so weak in comparison with the Piedmont region? Why don't these two areas use their natural advantanges (Mountains in the West and Ocean in the East) to foster greater development? Any other suggestions or comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 09:14 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Why are Western and Eastern North Carolina's economies so weak in comparison with the Piedmont region? Why don't these two areas use their natural advantanges (Mountains in the West and Ocean in the East) to foster greater development? Any other suggestions or comments?

Textile and agriculture in NC have taken a big hit in recent decades. That has translated into far fewere jobs in those areas.

Trust me, there is plenty of development going on along the coast and in the mountains. But that isn't enough to bolster up the economy to everyon'e benefit in those areas.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Textile and agriculture in NC have taken a big hit in recent decades. That has translated into far fewere jobs in those areas.

Trust me, there is plenty of development going on along the coast and in the mountains. But that isn't enough to bolster up the economy to everyon'e benefit in those areas.
I know there is development in these areas, just nothing equal to the Piedmont region. The state government should focus more on these areas, and less in the central part of the state.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:39 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,042 times
I used to work for the NC Dept of Commerce and a local economic development organization in northwest NC in the 1980's & 90's. I'm not totally current on all the state's economic development efforts, but trust me, there have been many state-supported and other programs designed to encourage development in outlying areas, including more tax breaks etc. (such as the Bill Lee Act). The NC Rural Development Center also has had all kinds of programs. The state of NC does not "focus" primarily on the Piedmont, but has to help facilitate business relocations/expansions wherever companies decide THEY want to look. You can lead a horse to water...

Old 02-10-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
I used to work for the NC Dept of Commerce and a local economic development organization in northwest NC in the 1980's & 90's. I'm not totally current on all the state's economic development efforts, but trust me, there have been many state-supported and other programs designed to encourage development in outlying areas, including more tax breaks etc. (such as the Bill Lee Act). The NC Rural Development Center also has had all kinds of programs. The state of NC does not "focus" primarily on the Piedmont, but has to help facilitate business relocations/expansions wherever companies decide THEY want to look. You can lead a horse to water...
If this is true, why don't more companies choose the mountains and coast?

Old 02-10-2009, 05:38 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
because in the Piedmont, industries have access to 85, 77, 73, 40 to transport goods that many companies already have a distribution location.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-10-2009 at 06:41 PM..

Old 02-10-2009, 08:45 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,042 times
Exactly... more business resources in the Piedmont. Also access to skilled labor force, and many other business considerations. It's not simply a matter of where the CEO or business owner might want to live and play.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:45 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,694,892 times
Rocky Mount looks really sad. It has charm to it. I wish they could fix up that place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina