U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-16-2007, 11:16 AM

42,174 posts, read 48,615,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewire View Post
All things considered, I would like to live in the southern Charlotte area. I looked around Fort Mill and loved it. However, for this job situation, I obviously can't live in that area and commute to Hickory.

My priorities are probably living close to Charlotte. Traffic I don't mind as I am from California. I'd rather not commute more then 35 minutes if possible. I know Gastonia is close to Charlotte but I have read some unfavorable things of that city. Maybe you can clear up some misconceptions for me if you know anything about it? Is Gastonia a nice place to live? Decent place for a multi-cultural family?

Cost of living and heat are not of concern, I'll be able to afford a house outright so I'm not worried about that. I'm not too worried abut the heat either.

Mainly its a lifestyle thing for me. I am a city kid through and through so it will be an adjustment living in an area in metro California area with 5 million people to a smaller city like Gastonia...that is why I would like close proximity to Charlotte.

I don't mind suburban living.

Well.... if it were me, I'd still choose the Hickory area And it has about the same amount of retail and things to do, if not more, than Gastonia. But if being close to Charlotte is important to you, than Gastonia is the answer. It is a quick 20 minutes from Gastonia to uptown Charlotte in non traffic times. And you can access Hickory from Gastonia very easily in 30 minutes via hwy 321. May I suggest you check out Belmont? It is still in Gaston county, but even closer to Charlotte than Gastonia. There are new homes being built there on the water that are VERY nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-16-2007, 11:26 AM

124 posts
Quote:
@19yearsinCharlotte & lovesmountains:

My wife has reported unfavorably about Hickory, that is the primary reason I am not considering it. Maybe you could help enlighten me - how are the schools and style of living? Like I just mentioned I am cityboy so it is going to be quite an adjustment for me...I'd like to live in south Charlotte but unfortunately, the job situation with where I work likely won't relocate me there...

But I'm up for a change to be honest, I am pretty flexible.

As for Statesville, I mainly mentioned that because I understand that heading south, there are lots of cities and things to do...also close to the lake as well. That was primarly why I mentioned that as a possibility (Troutman or more south in particular, but the drive seems a lot worse from that area).

can anyone advise in regards to Gastonia, maybe Belmont?
Well, here's the deal: I am not sure why your wife is against Hickory. I once had a job working with the schools in that area as well as other areas, and the kids and teachers were great in Hickory. The previous poster is right-- there are just as many shops and restaurants in Hickory as in Gastonia. I really like Hickory, personally. And if the wife was against Hickory, she would HATE Statesville.

So if Charlotte is out of the question, I agree with previous poster: I'd go with Hickory first. If you absolutely must be closer to Charlotte, then go with Gastonia. I'm telling you, I'd leave Statesville out of it completely (sorry Stateville folks, but this is a city boy here, and as a city girl myself, Statesville would be too small for him ).

Unread 03-16-2007, 11:33 AM

929 posts, read 2,070,056 times
Wow, I fear you are in for some real culture shock. I hope the good outweighs the bad. Statesville would make sense because of the access to both Charlotte Winston Salem and Greensboro. Forget my suggestion of Caldwell County. That would be a bit toooo rural.
Best of luck.

Unread 03-16-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
@19yearsinCharlotte & lovesmountains:

My wife has reported unfavorably about Hickory, that is the primary reason I am not considering it. Maybe you could help enlighten me - how are the schools and style of living? Like I just mentioned I am cityboy so it is going to be quite an adjustment for me...I'd like to live in south Charlotte but unfortunately, the job situation with where I work likely won't relocate me there...

But I'm up for a change to be honest, I am pretty flexible.

As for Statesville, I mainly mentioned that because I understand that heading south, there are lots of cities and things to do...also close to the lake as well. That was primarly why I mentioned that as a possibility (Troutman or more south in particular, but the drive seems a lot worse from that area).

can anyone advise in regards to Gastonia, maybe Belmont?

The name of the new developments in Belmont escape my memory at the moment I'm afraid. Send a pm to our regular poster, xray42, he has been house hunting there recently and could tell you more And maybe others with better info will chime in too now The more I think about it, the more I think Belmont is your best choice.

Unread 03-16-2007, 11:46 AM

19 posts, read 35,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
Wow, I fear you are in for some real culture shock. I hope the good outweighs the bad. Statesville would make sense because of the access to both Charlotte Winston Salem and Greensboro. Forget my suggestion of Caldwell County. That would be a bit toooo rural.
Best of luck.
I know I am. Thats ok, I'm ready for it. I am preparing. That is why I'm hoping for a little bit of a go between. Isn't Hickory itself quite rural itself?

I am thinking Statesville is a no go for me...after considering it more...

Unread 03-16-2007, 11:48 AM

@ lovesmountains:

My only thing is, Belmont is closer to Charlotte but further from Hickory. Is it too much of a commute? :-x

Unread 03-16-2007, 11:50 AM

Quote:
@ lovesmountains:

My only thing is, Belmont is closer to Charlotte but further from Hickory. Is it too much of a commute? :-x
Not much at all, maybe another 7 to 10 minutes. Belmont is just on the other side of Gastonia heading toward Charlotte.

Unread 03-16-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The name of the new developments in Belmont escape my memory at the moment I'm afraid. Send a pm to our regular poster, xray42, he has been house hunting there recently and could tell you more And maybe others with better info will chime in too now The more I think about it, the more I think Belmont is your best choice.
I remembered one name: Reflection Point. Maybe you could google it

Belmont is a really pretty little town with many old restored "mill homes". It is also home to Belmont Abby College - a private Catholic college with beautiful grounds and buildings about 100 years old.

Unread 03-16-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19yearsincharlotte View Post
Well, here's the deal: I am not sure why your wife is against Hickory. I once had a job working with the schools in that area as well as other areas, and the kids and teachers were great in Hickory. The previous poster is right-- there are just as many shops and restaurants in Hickory as in Gastonia. I really like Hickory, personally. And if the wife was against Hickory, she would HATE Statesville.

I'm glad you are reporting favorbly about Hickory. I might have to broach the subject with her again. I appreciate your replies. She is from eastern Tennessee so she is vaguely familiar with the area.

Can you tell me a little bit more about Hickory? Food options? Pace of life? Schools in particular? Is the city transitioning away from furniture as a lot of that is now done overseas? Is the city continuing to grow or stagnate? I have heard people describe it as pretty dead and other people describe it as a market that will soon be expanding rapidly. Can't get a good handle on it :-) especially since I can't visit anytime soon to guage it.

I have a 2 month old so schools is a pretty big consideration..

Unread 03-16-2007, 12:00 PM

@ lovesmountains

Again, I really appreciate all of your answers.

One quick question, what is the highway like between Gastonia and Hickory? Lots of lights? Dedicated 2 lane highway with off ramps? I know that if its about 30 miles and no lights, I can probably zoom through there in 20 minutes or so and it wouldn't be as bad as it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina