U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 11:01 PM

4,551 posts, read 10,178,682 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to NC from northern NH which is very rural I am really looking for more city living and a warmer climate. I want a place that I could walk my dog to a coffee shop, I would love sidewalks! We would like to be able to drive five minutes and have a bunch of places to eat and hang out. Right now the closes store is 30 minutes away ...it is yucky Any suggestions on what town/area to live in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 01:44 PM

525 posts, read 1,921,294 times
Greensboro. Close to downtown. Everything will be within walking distance of a mile or two, older neighborhoods with trees and sidewalks. How much do you want to spend? Cause the downtown neighborhoods can be expensive.
Good luck!

Old 02-14-2009, 03:12 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,739,905 times
Charlotte. Enough said

Old 02-14-2009, 04:11 PM

627 posts, read 1,860,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Charlotte. Enough said
Sorry qc dreamin, for someone that has never been to Charlotte or even N.C. "Enough said" is about equal to saying nothing.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:48 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,829,143 times
Waxhaw which is South of Charlotte. We call it the antique town. Coffee shops, restaurants, ice cream, pizza, fast foods, sidewalks, benches to sit on, the best 4th of July parade in America. Put your dog on a lease and bring it along too. Then when you want to do serious shopping, there is a shopping center in the newer section of town, a new medical building is in the works. Many tourist activities in the area from an Andrew Jackson museum to Cane Creek Park to the Queenscup steeplechase the last Saturday in April just a few miles away in Mineral Springs.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:39 PM

4,551 posts, read 10,178,682 times
Thanks will be checking the area out in a couple of weeks. Will be a fun trip if nothing more since I have only bee to a horse show in Asheville NC once in my life

Old 02-14-2009, 08:59 PM

210 posts, read 445,154 times
Make sure you check out the West End and Ardmore sections of Winston-Salem which have some wonderful examples of architecture from the Craftsman Arts and Crafts era. Stokes County is very much like a warm Maine, so you probably won't want that. Much more rural.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:41 PM

2,447 posts, read 6,643,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I am thinking of moving to NC from northern NH which is very rural I am really looking for more city living and a warmer climate. I want a place that I could walk my dog to a coffee shop, I would love sidewalks! We would like to be able to drive five minutes and have a bunch of places to eat and hang out. Right now the closes store is 30 minutes away ...it is yucky Any suggestions on what town/area to live in
NC is a large state - Land area: 48,711 square miles vs New Hampshire's land area: 8,968 square miles

There are many towns that meet your criteria. Help us, help you narrow down your options. Do you want to be in the piedmont? What kind of job will you have? Who long can you commute? What's your housing budget? etc.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:45 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,739,905 times
ok. Since me sayong Charlotte enouh said was not good enough I will expand. I a a Charlotte native who currnetly residees in Greensboro. I moved up to High point from Charlotte in 2007 and moved to Greensboro last year. If you want the big city life than you definitely need to choose Charlotte. It has the nice walkable urban areas with nice restaurants nd shops scattered all over town(university city, Birkdale village,Ballantyne, Midtown, NoDa, etc....) Greensboro and the triad are minor cities with nice,hometown feels. There is not really a lot of urbanity in the triad but you can find things to do. I think you would like Charlotte best.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:25 AM

138 posts, read 366,263 times
I recommend you check out Jamestown. It is a small town nestled between High Point and Greensboro. Nice little walking trails and sidewalks with a little downtown area to do basic shopping ( 1 grocery store, a drug store, auto parts, etc, and a few little restaurants and shops). Plus it's close enough (about 10 minutes drive to Greensboro or High Point) for any of the malls or chain stores you'd want to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina