Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2009, 03:52 PM

5 posts, read 10,611 times

Advertisements

I've been reading tons of Fayetteville posts and wondering if moving there is a good idea. I'm a single female 39 yrs. old living by myself. Is the crime really that bad? Is there a better part of town and ones to avoid? All info is appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 06:45 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,985,615 times
I don't think it is so bad. I chose to move back here after I retired form the USAF las year. I'm married with a 5 year old and a 16 month old. There are plenty of nice safe areas to live. There is plenty of activites to participate in town too.

The only crime that has happened to me in all the years I have lived here is having a utility trailer stolen from behind my office. It was padlocked to a light pole for several months. It was my own fault. There is a mission church behind our office that give free bags of food to the poor each week. It attracts some shady characters. I guess it was too tempting.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:43 PM

983 posts, read 3,988,236 times
I've lived in this area my entire life. I've never been scared to go by myself or just with my kids to town. Stay out of the ghettos and you'll be fine. Just like anywhere else, just make sure you're always aware of your surroundings and take normal precautions---locking your doors, locking your car, not leaving valuables in plain sight.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:15 AM

586 posts, read 1,547,003 times
Unfortunately, crime in Fayetteville is not confined to shady areas. I have been robbed at gunpoint x2 during the 10 years that I lived in Fayetteville. Once was at 9pm in a Walmart parking lot and another time was while I was getting my haircut in a beauty salon at 6pm on a weeknight. There are nice areas in town and in my neighborhood there was no crime but from what I hear, that has been changing. Check out the crime map via the Fayetteville City police website to get a better idea of areas to avoid. I was a single woman in Fayettevile for most of my time there. It was okay. It really depends what you are looking for, a place to put down roots or a place to stay for awhile. Feel free to PM me if you want some information about a particular area. While I do not live there anymore, I still work in Fayetteville.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:04 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,985,615 times
Here is the crime map
Crime iMap 9.3 (http://police.ci.fayetteville.nc.us/imap/ - broken link)

and the Sheriff's incident database. You can enter street names to see what had happened there.

Sheriff's Incident Report

Old 02-14-2009, 05:37 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,919 times
There's more crime, I would imagine, in Fayetteville than in your average city with a comparable population. I'm not stating that as a fact, just something I believe.

I personally can't stand it here (24 days til I leave!), but to each their own, I guess. If you have to live in the Fayetteville area, there are nice, ruralish areas around it that might not be all bad. If you live in Fayetteville proper, a general rule would be to avoid living North and East of Bragg Blvd (crime), and West of All-American (sprawly, big box store, strip mall, suburban oblivion). The area, particularly on either side of Morgantown/Hay from McPherson Church Rd. to downtown is actually kinda nice and includes some really, really nice homes in certain areas.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:12 PM

586 posts, read 1,547,003 times
This article was in the Fayetteville Observer today:

FayObserver.com - Current Article Page (http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=318630 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: