U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 10:37 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,646,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Agreed and thus the need to analyze the numbers within the numbers before using a broad based number to decide to or not to relocate. Still a good time for some and not others. The state wide number is insufficient for good decsion making. Read the first 5-6 post and if you read them as I did they are making some sweeping generalizations. It is not just enough to have a college degree you need to have one that is marketable across economic conditions. Look at how many people major in History, Political Science, Sociology and English. Other then getting teaching certification the job prospects are? Oh yeah History teachers almost always are a dime a dozen. Thus many college graduates sold themselve short by not doing a good enough job looking at the employment numbers for their field. Might I add Graphic Design. Of course those fields are hurting.
TuborgP You're kinda preaching to the choir. In each thread there is an unspoken "YMMV". General statements are made on this board because it is the NC forum. It's not region, city or industry specific. The statistic the OP referred to is about NC. A state with 100 counties, 48,711 square miles and over 8 million people.

I think you misunderstood the comments up thread.

For years people on city-data have said "Make sure you do your research" when it comes to job hunting. Of course every industry is different. We're talking about two different types of newcomers.

The "don't come without a job" are directed at those with nothing more than a desire to move. No plans, no ideas, just dream to escape their current location. That's different from the I am in ________, I have researched NC and see that cities x, y, z have a good prospects. or "What can you tell me about the working in ______ in x, y, z.

Regardless, people answer honestly. "That's a great demanding field". "There have been layoffs". "The market is getting tighter, lots of competition" etc. Either way we get called either Pollyanna's of unwelcoming. It gets frustrating. You can't win for losing. That's why you see the "Aw shucks, come on down" responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 11:34 AM

6,196 posts, read 14,214,969 times
NCGirl is absolutely right! YMMV!

And if I might add -- things may change in a particular industry as well. Previously, education was wide open (as far as job opportunities). Now, Wake County has a hiring freeze. Wake Tech is considering a short work week in the summer. Things change.

Healthcare is wide open, too, but certainly there has to be some effect if jobs are lost, health insurance is lost, and people can't pay their health care bills? Or they are avoiding going to the doctor because they can't afford it? Avoiding procedures? There has to be some kind of effect, but I hope it's small.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:23 PM

Go to CNN dot com and see the article: "Wanted: Lousy job, low pay" posted today.

It reflects the reality everywhere.

It IS the reality in NC as we've been discussing in this thread.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:49 AM

444 posts, read 1,027,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
One anecdotal story does not a data base make. No it doesn't answer anything other then did you ever have a teacher you didn't like.
Even though we were the same race and the same sex, she still discriminated me cause i am a native. Live with that!

Old 02-26-2009, 08:14 PM

29,749 posts, read 34,791,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raivere View Post
Even though we were the same race and the same sex, she still discriminated me cause i am a native. Live with that!
Ok and the significant impact of it is?

Old 02-27-2009, 06:59 AM

34 posts, read 91,553 times
Default Whatever

The market here is no worse than anywhere else. If anything it is better because of cheap cost of living especially now with the market being down a bit.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 03-02-2009 at 02:17 PM..

Old 03-01-2009, 09:51 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,294,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raivere View Post
Last sememster I had a freaking N.C. racist translpant for a teacher!!!
I'd rather it be a Hispanic. At least they are nicer!!!!!
Complaining about racism and then saying something racist all in one breath. Gee there's something new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcuzino View Post
The market here is no worse than anywhere else.
Yes, actually, it is. Suggest re-reading the OP.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:38 PM

The cost of living isn't cheaper. Real estate taxes are cheaper. That's about it. And you get taxed every year for your car, too.

And we are the state with the 8th highest unemployment rate in the COUNTRY. So there are 42 states that are in better shape.

I don't know why people don't understand this.

Quote:
The market here is no worse than anywhere else. If anything it is better because of cheap cost of living especially now with the market being down a bit.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:39 PM

19 posts, read 29,987 times
North Carolina is ranked number one place to not live in my book! I hated living in Jacksonville!

Old 03-02-2009, 09:55 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,884,566 times
Quote:

That's definitely one of those "naive comments" that a previous poster was talking about. The cost of living is definitely not "cheap". It is more affordable than major cities like NYC, LA, SF, Boston, Chicago, etc. Most cities with the same population as Raleigh have similar or lower costs of living. I lived in Raleigh for 13 years. I moved there from Rochester NY in the mid 90's when the cost of living was about the same in both areas. Since then it has gotten much more expensive to live in Raleigh and the surrounding area and it is now (even with high property taxes) more affordable to live here (I moved back to NY in 2007) than in Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or