Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 12:18 PM

5,742 posts, read 17,594,046 times

Advertisements

8. North Carolina ... 8.7 percent unemployment
December 2007: 4.7 percent
Over-the-year rate change: 4.0 percent
Mean annual salary: $36,900

MSN Careers - 15 Worst States to Find Work - Career Advice Article
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 08:50 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
Oh that's crazy talk. Everyone knows NC is the land of milk and honey and jobs blah blah blah

Old 02-16-2009, 06:30 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
Oh that's crazy talk. Everyone knows NC is the land of milk and honey and jobs blah blah blah
ROFL. Yep, Bill. The flood gates are open and we are begging people to come on down and take advantage of our cheap houses, cheap taxes, plentiful jobs, etc. etc.

Every time I try to tell someone our jobless rate will be over 9 % in Charlotte at the end of this quarter . . . I am told I am unwelcoming and even prejudiced against newcomers. When I tell them - "don't come without a job," some posters get quite indignant and accuse me of being condescending "cause why would someone move without a job?" I am gonna quit saying a thing other than - SURE!!! Come on down and buy a house!!! At least that way, some desperate homeowner here can sell his/her house and a realtor can make some money and the county can collect some taxes . . .

Old 02-16-2009, 07:14 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Don't forget about the fantastic weather!!!!! Who needs to worry about a job when it's nice outside?

Old 02-16-2009, 04:34 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
Don't forget about the fantastic weather!!!!! Who needs to worry about a job when it's nice outside?
Yes, this is Home Sweet Home here, alright.

And nary is heard a discouraging word . . . so everybody just come on down.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:35 PM

24 posts, read 109,342 times
hmmm what about people who are from NC and still have family in NC they're trying to get back to? Are they considered "outsiders" too?

Old 02-16-2009, 07:17 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, this is Home Sweet Home here, alright.

And nary is heard a discouraging word . . . so everybody just come on down.
Besides there are a multitude of places along the interstates to pitch camp. Don't need no stinking job or house, just find some plastic sheeting and some twine. Dozens are doing it right along I240 in Asheville. Convenient to fast food joints, homeless shelters for meals, and intersection to display your "work for food" sign, though there is never any intention to actually work.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:56 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
8. North Carolina ... 8.7 percent unemployment
December 2007: 4.7 percent
Over-the-year rate change: 4.0 percent
Mean annual salary: $36,900

MSN Careers - 15 Worst States to Find Work - Career Advice Article
One has to ask what the relationship in North Carolina is between education level and degree of difficulty in finding work. Are those relocating with specific marketable skills and higher education having the same difficulty as those who have minimal education? Is the North Carolina dropout rate coming home to roost? Are transplants having an easier way to go then natives? Are there regional differences? Does this thread have greater accuracy in the Charlotte thread? Lots of questions and not seeing much in the way of answers.
How does the education and income average for transplants and natives compare? What is a native and how long do you need to live here to be one. Is it only folks who are born here? Would that make natives on average older than transplants? Is the average age of those who have relocated similar to natives? How does the appropriate data between the two compare.

I am a recent transplant and yes it is sunny all of the time and the weather is so much better. My transplant neighbors seem to be enjoying the good life also. Maybe the industries transplants came for are doing better then the jobs natives inherited. Everytime I shop at Whole Foods it seems like we see lots of happy people. Trader Joe's seems like a happy place etc etc.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:07 AM

State unemployment in December rises to 8.7 percent : News-Record.com : Greensboro, North Carolina
His predictions are grim: He expects the jobless rate to hit 10 percent this year amid the state's volatile manufacturing industry - an economic sector that gets hit hard during recessions - and the financial industry's tumble.

State leaders have worried that North Carolina's job market will continue to get worse in 2009 as the large banking industry prepares to shed jobs.

Transplants may not want to consider relocating if they are in manufacturing or banking (especially in Charlotte) otherwise use your research skills and assess your career area and the market stability in the area you are considering relocating to. Life is still great and remember it is not just where you are going but where you are coming from.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:15 AM

Transplants the following link is based on November numbers and is dated by a month. However it shows you where the land of plenty is shining the most and where it has gotten cloudy and you may want to avoid. I wonder if there is any correlation with unemployment and the quality of the school system in that county? I wonder if all areas with transplants are hurting equally?
Unemployment up in every N.C. county - 6-Jan-09: article
Orange County, which has a 4.7 percent unemployment rate, is the only county in the state where unemployment is below 5 percent. Meanwhile, the number of counties with unemployment at or above 10 percent jumped from four in October to 17 in November.

Edgecombe County has the state's highest unemployment rate at 13.3 percent, followed by Scotland County at 13.1 percent.

Both Wake and Durham counties reported 5.8 percent unemployment, while Cumberland County posted a 7.6 percent unemployment rate. Johnston and Franklin counties each had unemployment rates of 7.4 percent.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/...6/daily63.html
The two federally defined Metropolitan Statistical Areas that comprise the Triangle posted the two lowest unemployment rates among North Carolina MSAs in December. The Raleigh-Durham area also is home to four of the five counties with the lowest unemployment rates.

The above link includes the December data. Transplants you know where to come and this is the forum to find a good realtor to help you find the home of your choice at a price you will love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina