U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to North Carolina: relocating, golf course, real estate, Charleston, job market.

Old 01-23-2006, 02:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,481 times

Advertisements

I live in Myrtle Beach, SC and I am also looking to move to NC. It will be in the Belmont area, near my boyfriends family. I am pretty much going into this blind.Except for what I have found online. I have been in Myrtle beach for 6yrs and it has been a struggle the whole time. I will tell you if you are moving near the coast it is very expensive and the pay is terrible. The rent is high along with everything else. Traffic in the summer is AWEFUL. The locals are mad b/c we cant get to work. The tourists have no idea where they are going.
The reason why we are moving is we are at our breaking point. We are broke.
Even though we keep trying we cant even come out even. Dont get me wrong it is a beautiful place. The beach is awesome, but we have no time to enjoy it. I was warned before I moved here I would hate it in a year. It took 2
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2006, 09:34 AM

8 posts, read 25,398 times
April Maybe - Love your enthusiasm, and info, THANKS! we are still searching & weighing pros & cons - most definately need to take a road trip and explore a little in person. best of luck to you & your decisions also! - relocator.

Old 02-04-2006, 04:43 PM

9 posts, read 31,188 times
babdoll, I think theres still a drive-in movies in Belmont. !!Pretty cool!! I think you can see 3 movies for the price of one>>>

Old 06-29-2006, 02:24 PM

956 posts, read 4,075,477 times
Default Wake up and smell the coffee

Dude,

If you have made up your mind to go to NC, "there ain't nothing nobody can tell you (just get used to that kind of language, because you will here it all the time even from school teachers)."
Just want you to know that from one Yankees perspective who lived there for 12 years, you had better get ready for a culture shock.
1. Get used to being called a Yankee and blamed for everything bad in society. The civil war was yesterday to indigenous Tar Heels. Unless you are willing to chime in and slam the North every other breath, you will stick out like a sore thumb.
2. Get used to waiting and waiting and waiting. It is a slow down kind of culture. You may want that, but just don't chaff against it.
3. Don't try and sound too educated. They equate that will being "prideful".
Don't pronounce the "ings". Shorten to in. Swimmin or Walkin.
4. Get used to being nickeled and dimes to death on taxes. I even had to pay tax on each car I owned and had to list our pets.
5. Adjust to $10 per hour being good pay, unless you luck into a big company or own your own business.

Now as to areas. I lived in Western NC for 5 years. The areas West of Winston Salem along I 40 through the foothills are rural, mostly old mill towns. They were vibrant towns with textile miles that kept generations going. Now that the textile miles have gone to Mexico and South America and China, these towns are in trouble (my mom stills lives in one they retired to). The town I used to live in there (about 30 east of Asheville) has gone 15 years with positive job growth. However, I think in some ways those areas are easier to adjust to. Hickory is nice and really becoming a bedroom community for Greater Charlotte.
Eastern NC -I live in Greenville NC for 7 years. It has a booming economy and is the cultural and educational center for all of Eastern NC. They have an amazing medical center there (my wife is a nurse and works in a hospital here in NYC and says they are years behind the one in Greenville). There is ECU and still some manufacturing that moved there years ago from NJ. That town seems to grow about 1000 per year. So, you can make a living there.
The negatives however drove me back North. First, I have never lived anywhere with such regional pride. They don't even accept people from other areas of the state very fast. They think Pitt county is unique in the State. It is made up of old tobacco farms, who sold out to build subdivisions and became millionaires overnight. In seven years there, I can't remember a single day that someone didn't make a crack about Yankees.
Secondly, the weather is brutal. You have about 5 months out of the year that the heat and humidity is oppressive. I mean from 7 in the morning to 11 at night. They you have the Hurricane Season. I went through 7 hurricanes while I live there. Then in the spring you can't go outside without sneezing your head off from the yellow pine dust everywhere from the Yellow Pines all around. In the winter, it rains. I actually did less outdoor stuff there than when i lived in South East Michigan.
Thirdly is the food. Better have your last bite of good Chinese or pizza before you go to Eastern NC. Oh, learn to love hog. You will have to endure a Pig Picken at every major social function from graduations to weddings. And, it is a unique kind of sauce. All Vinegar and peppers. If you like it, more power to you.
Fourthly is the general culture. Tobacco. Chew it, smoke it, live it, love it.
Heard a guy say at a church breakfast that "i think all them Yankees want to kill us folks down here, because of tobacco".
PS-Hope you don't like major sports.....

If that doesn't discourage you, then maybe you ought to go down and join the red-neck revolution.

Have fun.

Old 06-29-2006, 02:41 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,654,772 times
I do not want to get into a debate with anyone but need to make some points - Raleigh specifically has a very educated community due to not only the colleges in the area but alot of those people work in the pharm industry and have Phd's - so I do believe there are some intelligent people in the state........(saying they are not educated is no different from them calling you a yankee...)

As for the tax issues, NC is no different that NY in regard to taxes..while no we do not pay taxes are our cars, (we do pay a reg fee every 2 years) they could tax my car 10x and adding that to the property taxes my taxes there would still be less...they have a different tax system, it is no better or worse then ours...taxes in and of themselves is the issue and how states get and assess is the issue...

While I appreciate the comments on the negatives, each area is different...rural vs. non-rural...just like here in NY, those who reside on the island are different to those then reside in the city or upstate...I will tell you that certain areas upstate is a different world then here on long island....the schools are even different and the way they educate all within our state...

Old 06-29-2006, 03:04 PM

1,044 posts, read 3,408,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010
Dude,
If you have made up your mind to go to NC, "there ain't nothing nobody can tell you (just get used to that kind of language, because you will here it all the time even from school teachers)."
Just want you to know that from one Yankees perspective who lived there for 12 years, you had better get ready for a culture shock.
1. Get used to being called a Yankee and blamed for everything bad in society. The civil war was yesterday to indigenous Tar Heels. Unless you are willing to chime in and slam the North every other breath, you will stick out like a sore thumb.
2. Get used to waiting and waiting and waiting. It is a slow down kind of culture. You may want that, but just don't chaff against it.
3. Don't try and sound too educated. They equate that will being "prideful".
Don't pronounce the "ings". Shorten to in. Swimmin or Walkin.
4. Get used to being nickeled and dimes to death on taxes. I even had to pay tax on each car I owned and had to list our pets.
5. Adjust to $10 per hour being good pay, unless you luck into a big company or own your own business.

Now as to areas. I lived in Western NC for 5 years. The areas West of Winston Salem along I 40 through the foothills are rural, mostly old mill towns. They were vibrant towns with textile miles that kept generations going. Now that the textile miles have gone to Mexico and South America and China, these towns are in trouble (my mom stills lives in one they retired to). The town I used to live in there (about 30 east of Asheville) has gone 15 years with positive job growth. However, I think in some ways those areas are easier to adjust to. Hickory is nice and really becoming a bedroom community for Greater Charlotte.
Eastern NC -I live in Greenville NC for 7 years. It has a booming economy and is the cultural and educational center for all of Eastern NC. They have an amazing medical center there (my wife is a nurse and works in a hospital here in NYC and says they are years behind the one in Greenville). There is ECU and still some manufacturing that moved there years ago from NJ. That town seems to grow about 1000 per year. So, you can make a living there.
The negatives however drove me back North. First, I have never lived anywhere with such regional pride. They don't even accept people from other areas of the state very fast. They think Pitt county is unique in the State. It is made up of old tobacco farms, who sold out to build subdivisions and became millionaires overnight. In seven years there, I can't remember a single day that someone didn't make a crack about Yankees.
Secondly, the weather is brutal. You have about 5 months out of the year that the heat and humidity is oppressive. I mean from 7 in the morning to 11 at night. They you have the Hurricane Season. I went through 7 hurricanes while I live there. Then in the spring you can't go outside without sneezing your head off from the yellow pine dust everywhere from the Yellow Pines all around. In the winter, it rains. I actually did less outdoor stuff there than when i lived in South East Michigan.
Thirdly is the food. Better have your last bite of good Chinese or pizza before you go to Eastern NC. Oh, learn to love hog. You will have to endure a Pig Picken at every major social function from graduations to weddings. And, it is a unique kind of sauce. All Vinegar and peppers. If you like it, more power to you.
Fourthly is the general culture. Tobacco. Chew it, smoke it, live it, love it.
Heard a guy say at a church breakfast that "i think all them Yankees want to kill us folks down here, because of tobacco".
PS-Hope you don't like major sports.....

If that doesn't discourage you, then maybe you ought to go down and join the red-neck revolution.
Have fun.
Everything I had worried about NC up until now has been expressed by your post.
Is your information only for Western NC or the whole state?

Old 06-29-2006, 03:24 PM

956 posts, read 4,075,477 times
Cool I actually found people in Eastern NC harder

In my view the culture in suburban/simi-rural Eastern NC is harder and more hostile to outsiders than Western NC. The Western part of the State was kind of divided during the Civil War, and doesn't harbor as deep a resentment to outsiders as the Eastern sections where they had large plantations.
As one of the posters said, there are areas that are more progressive and educated. For instance, my wife worked in a hospital. There was more diversity within her work environment, which helped. Those however are kind of pockets of insular communities within the State at large. Places like Care/Apex etc. are examples. However, those areas are also much more expensive and the economic benefits of moving there are not as great.

I used to tell people that I found the culture in Eastern NC as different from Western NC, as I found Western NC different from South East Michigan. Even the food is very different. In the Western part of the state they eat Sweet BBQ, in the East it is Vinegar based. They eat Pinto Beans in the West and Collards in the East. They bake thick fluffy corn bread in the West and flat dense corn bread in the East. That kind of thing.
Western NC is more Hillbilly and Eastern NC is much more Old South.

I am not saying that it isn't a great place to live for some people. Obviously, lots of outsiders make a home there. I am just saying that you kind of have to have a thick skin. I do believe that it is different than a North easterner moving to say, Wisconsin. You don't have the whole "war of northern aggression" thing going on.
Sorry if I burst your bubble.

Old 06-29-2006, 03:36 PM

1,044 posts, read 3,408,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010
Western NC is more Hillbilly and Eastern NC is much more Old South.

I am not saying that it isn't a great place to live for some people. Obviously, lots of outsiders make a home there. I am just saying that you kind of have to have a thick skin. I do believe that it is different than a North easterner moving to say, Wisconsin. You don't have the whole "war of northern aggression" thing going on.
Sorry if I burst your bubble.
I am a midwesterner who doesn't have a thick skin.
I can joke that I am a "Yankee", but if it is said to me in a hostile manner, on more than one occasion, I would not be appreciative.

Dare I ask what happens if you don't enjoy tobacco in it's many forms or don't love "hog"?

Last edited by ITChick; 06-29-2006 at 03:41 PM..

Old 06-29-2006, 03:49 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,690,690 times
I agree with most of mhogan10010's statements concerning Western NC (Mountain Region). One can not really get a true feel of North Carolina culture by visiting only one of the three regions. Yes, it's that different from one end of the state to the other. Generic statements about North Carolina are misleading at best.

Last edited by mm34b; 06-29-2006 at 03:59 PM..

Old 06-29-2006, 03:56 PM

787 posts, read 3,324,375 times
I personally don't think I could live in the mountains. One trip around Black Mountain in 2001 left permanent fingerprints in the arm rest of the vehicle we were driving not to mention that you can't pop phenergan or dramamine every 5 minutes and the recommended dose didn't even phase me. I was sick as heck before we got out of there. But I have to say what I could see of it was beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina