U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to North Carolina: relocating, golf course, real estate, Charleston, job market.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 12:25 PM

1,044 posts, read 3,406,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing
Certainly we would have had reason to feel put upon and resent any remarks made by natives about where we were from, but I honestly don't recall any of that. Initial teasing, I think, mostly based on some faux paus we committed: not liking Cheerwine, asking "who in the heck is Dale Earnhardt and why is he so popular" and expressing revulsion over the BBQ -- which I have never gotten to like. Sorry, but putting cole slaw on BBQ instead of the side? *blech* When we make trips back to the Midwest, we load up on the KC Masterpiece sauce to bring back. I make noooo apologies for disliking the BBQ
Mmmm...KC Masterpiece...yummy! I guess I just won't order BBQ when I'm in NC as I know now it just isn't the same as "back home".

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing
The only thing I can advise is to accept that this is a different place, but don't look on the differences as being negative. And don't worry about how you'll be treated. You'll be living in an area that has had more time to adjust to the transplants than when we first moved down here. And if we weren't hassled that much, I doubt you'll have many problems, unless you bring them on yourself (as I could say about some of the posters here )
I agree that accepting NC as a different place is a good attitude to take. After all, the reason I want to move there is because it is different from where I am now, and I have no plans to change a thing when I get there either.

I just hope that some of the folks in NC are as accepting of my uniqueness as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 10:28 PM

17 posts, read 91,094 times
Wink Oh For Heaven's Sake!

You know, I think wanting to know about the area you are considering relocating to is understandable. However, shouldn't one select their information from an unbiased and far less opinionated source?
Making decisions based on what you read from other people is as far fetched as buying a lottery ticket and hoping to have the winning numbers. It is all in the luck of the draw as to what opinion you will get.
I mean honestly, isn't life what you make of it?
What may be absolutely wonderful to me, might be the worst experience of your life, right?
Having moved all over the states I feel pretty well rounded and able to give an opinion on this particular subject matter. The point is... it's just an opinion.
If you want that opinion, here goes: I lived in NC (Various location)for 21 years.
Someone asked about Maysville--- Maysville is a small rural town. The jobs with any real pay (within reasonable commuting distance) will be in New Bern, Jacksonville, or Kinston so expect to drive. Think Mayberry and you will define Maysville (in my opinion). Yes, the folks are a little standoffish but that is because many of them have been burned by fast talking people who will take the shirt off their back and then sell it to someone else right in front of them. People mistake their kindness for ignorance and that has made so many of the older generation who have always lived a laid back slow life guarded and unwilling to accept change nor new faces. AKA: They trust what they know. Prove yourself to them and they will accept you too. Many of these people have a heart that is big and yet they have to warm up to you first.
I lived in Swansboro for a while which has Jacksonville and Morehead City growing closer everyday. Still your major industry, medical opportunities, and much much more can be found in Raleigh, Cary and Durham (Which yes, be careful in Durham, crime rates are amuck) and of larger areas like Charlotte or Greensboro.
I liked the small town of Rocky Mount NC and found it to be close enough to Greenville for a commute but also a quaint town that had many charms. Still close enough to drive to the beach but we didn't deal with all the tourist traffic and influctuence of our County's income due to tourism season.
I also lived in Greenville, NC which was a wonderful town and far more accepting to "Come Heres" like myself. (Which, might I add, New Yorkers can also tend to be just as unaccepting of new blood in their state. Wish I had a nickle for eveytime I was made fun of for my accent or called a redneck or hillbilly. I politely smile with southern charm and a gentle nature and pass it off as their ignorance.)
Most of Greenville is made up of ECU Alumni blended with locals (some of which, yes, were made rich overnight, all people change when this happens). All the same, this town proved to be a lot of fun with much to do and a pride that I found to be stimulating. I am a team player so "pride" in my area is something I thrive on. Better to be proud of where you live than to find the negatives about everything under the sun. Tell that to Seinfeld, the minister who couldn't find much of anything good to say about NC.
So there you have it... I've found from Southern California, to North Carolina, South Carolina to New York... life is what you make of it and people are generally good. Find the good in them and be leary of passing judgment before you give people a chance. Oh yea, and do try everything once. Even the N.C. BBQ Pork (which I am pleased I am still able to get here in the Northern Neck of Virginia!) We are all a little nervous about trying new things but go in with a good attitude and most of the time you will be pleasantly surprised. Reminds me of the first time I tried Sushi... I was delighted! But what if I turned my nose up at it and never tried it because someone else said it was nasty? Each area has it's specialities and I have done without a favorite food or drink no matter where I roam!
Leave it to a minister to ring me up enough to submit a post here. Sir, with all due respect, shouldn't you be out visiting the sick or witnessing to someone somewhere in need? Perhaps if you used your time more wisely serving God you wouldn't find so much time to be negative at an entire state's expense.
Best of luck to you on your relocation.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:04 AM

4,402 posts, read 3,031,556 times
Default It IS what you make it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunetteCarolinaGirl View Post
You know, I think wanting to know about the area you are considering relocating to is understandable. However, shouldn't one select their information from an unbiased and far less opinionated source?
Making decisions based on what you read from other people is as far fetched as buying a lottery ticket and hoping to have the winning numbers. It is all in the luck of the draw as to what opinion you will get.
I mean honestly, isn't life what you make of it?
What may be absolutely wonderful to me, might be the worst experience of your life, right?
Having moved all over the states I feel pretty well rounded and able to give an opinion on this particular subject matter. The point is... it's just an opinion.
If you want that opinion, here goes: I lived in NC (Various location)for 21 years.
Someone asked about Maysville--- Maysville is a small rural town. The jobs with any real pay (within reasonable commuting distance) will be in New Bern, Jacksonville, or Kinston so expect to drive. Think Mayberry and you will define Maysville (in my opinion). Yes, the folks are a little standoffish but that is because many of them have been burned by fast talking people who will take the shirt off their back and then sell it to someone else right in front of them. People mistake their kindness for ignorance and that has made so many of the older generation who have always lived a laid back slow life guarded and unwilling to accept change nor new faces. AKA: They trust what they know. Prove yourself to them and they will accept you too. Many of these people have a heart that is big and yet they have to warm up to you first.
I lived in Swansboro for a while which has Jacksonville and Morehead City growing closer everyday. Still your major industry, medical opportunities, and much much more can be found in Raleigh, Cary and Durham (Which yes, be careful in Durham, crime rates are amuck) and of larger areas like Charlotte or Greensboro.
I liked the small town of Rocky Mount NC and found it to be close enough to Greenville for a commute but also a quaint town that had many charms. Still close enough to drive to the beach but we didn't deal with all the tourist traffic and influctuence of our County's income due to tourism season.
I also lived in Greenville, NC which was a wonderful town and far more accepting to "Come Heres" like myself. (Which, might I add, New Yorkers can also tend to be just as unaccepting of new blood in their state. Wish I had a nickle for eveytime I was made fun of for my accent or called a redneck or hillbilly. I politely smile with southern charm and a gentle nature and pass it off as their ignorance.)
Most of Greenville is made up of ECU Alumni blended with locals (some of which, yes, were made rich overnight, all people change when this happens). All the same, this town proved to be a lot of fun with much to do and a pride that I found to be stimulating. I am a team player so "pride" in my area is something I thrive on. Better to be proud of where you live than to find the negatives about everything under the sun. Tell that to Seinfeld, the minister who couldn't find much of anything good to say about NC.
So there you have it... I've found from Southern California, to North Carolina, South Carolina to New York... life is what you make of it and people are generally good. Find the good in them and be leary of passing judgment before you give people a chance. Oh yea, and do try everything once. Even the N.C. BBQ Pork (which I am pleased I am still able to get here in the Northern Neck of Virginia!) We are all a little nervous about trying new things but go in with a good attitude and most of the time you will be pleasantly surprised. Reminds me of the first time I tried Sushi... I was delighted! But what if I turned my nose up at it and never tried it because someone else said it was nasty? Each area has it's specialities and I have done without a favorite food or drink no matter where I roam!
Leave it to a minister to ring me up enough to submit a post here. Sir, with all due respect, shouldn't you be out visiting the sick or witnessing to someone somewhere in need? Perhaps if you used your time more wisely serving God you wouldn't find so much time to be negative at an entire state's expense.
Best of luck to you on your relocation.
While I disagree with what you said with coming here to the forums to inquire about a place to move, GREAT POST! No where can you find so many opinions! They may be pro or con but after all is said it IS up to you, the inquirer, to narrow down possibilities and then go see for yourself.

I have lived in 10 states and what I have found is that we are all the same. Yes you will find regional differences in food, attitude, climate and language (ie: accent and colloquialisms) and I think that that's a good thing. I have enjoyed each place I have lived. I have moved from the serenity of a small town (Cape May) in NJ to all of the coastal states south of there to PA and currently Michigan. Sure there are things that I do not like in all areas but I have found that no matter where I have lived it was up to ME to make it home.

DH and I will be moving from MI, hopefully in the next year and will be returning to NC or VA. Out of all the places I have lived those are the two states that have ended up on our short list. 25 years south of the Mason Dixon line just kinda makes me want to go "home." We will be leaving here next Monday for a 2 week fact finding mission. We are concentrating on coastal NC from Mayville north to Elizabeth City and in VA we will be checking out the Northern Neck, the Middle Peninsula (taught @ Gloucester High School for 12 years) and Prince George County.

I miss so much about these areas. It's funny, some of the things that I miss are things that I wasn't too keen on when I first heard, saw, tasted or experienced them. I love eastern Carolina BBQ. Gimmie that cole slaw on top anyday with a few shakes of Texas Pete. lol The first time I saw it? omg I about gagged. Do I miss that? nope. I learned how to make it and I do so frequently here in North Western Michigan. I don't tell my guests what it is until after they have tasted it. Once someone hears the words BBQ they have something in mind that is NOT what EC BBQ is. I have yet to find some one that doesn't like it. Sure they say, "That's not BBQ." But, they expect it when they come over.

In the end my advice is: Experience life everywhere you go. Take what the locals have to offer. Add what you like to your life and put the rest on the shelf. Learn it though. Someday you just may have to use some of it to your advantage.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:18 AM

17 posts, read 91,094 times
Talking Amen, ibginnie!

Well said!
I am enjoying Essex County myself, but am always ready for an adventure. No doubt my wonderlust will kick in sometime and I will be ready to move on to the next local when the whim strikes. The funny thing is... a piece of my heart will probably always stay in North Carolina.
Have fun on your fact finding mission and good luck on your decision. You have so many wonderful places to chose from Between VA and NC.
Moving can be so much fun! A lot of work, but a chance to start anew and fresh new places to explore! I am excited for you!

Last edited by BrunetteCarolinaGirl; 01-07-2008 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: mispelled user name

Old 01-07-2008, 11:50 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,547,444 times
Thumbs up Brunswick..yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelllington View Post
Brunswick County has 39 golf courses, and is close to beach, but still has plenty
of room for horses. Close to Wilmington, a beautiful, historic, port town.

More affordable than most places near water.
I agree, and I am a North Carolinian.

the gold mecca in NC is in Pinehurst but you will be a long ride from the beach.. From Brunswick you can just "hop" down to SC and try Myrtle Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina