U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2009, 02:33 PM

844 posts, read 2,671,855 times

Advertisements

We are currently looking to retire to the New Bern area, but with the property insurance going through the roof due to the hurricanes, we might be reconsidering.

We were in the Pinehurst/So. Pines area about 4 years ago, and it looked to be really nice overall, but, we're wondering if there's enough to do if you are not a golfer?

Our son and his family might follow us south, so are there things for younger families in the area?

Is Aberdeen a busy town with things to do?

Thank you,....marc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 10:31 PM

1,673 posts, read 1,527,571 times
It might be easier to list your hobbies (I live in Pinehurst) and I can give some feedback. It is a classic resort town, and there are lots of social events as I've seen. However, due to my age difference with the majority of the population, I don't attend most of these events. Anyways the highlights are horseback riding, golfing, and other outdoor activities such as biking/hiking/running.

Downtown Southern Pines is neat for most people due to the boutiques but it is small. Aberdeen is where all your "modern" shopping takes place. If you want true culture, you need to go to Raleigh (1 hour away) or Charlotte (1 3/4 hour).

I will say for its size, this area has some excellent restaurants that rival full metros. I guess that is what a resort town does for you.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:19 PM

87 posts, read 172,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
It might be easier to list your hobbies (I live in Pinehurst) and I can give some feedback. It is a classic resort town, and there are lots of social events as I've seen. However, due to my age difference with the majority of the population, I don't attend most of these events. Anyways the highlights are horseback riding, golfing, and other outdoor activities such as biking/hiking/running.

Downtown Southern Pines is neat for most people due to the boutiques but it is small. Aberdeen is where all your "modern" shopping takes place. If you want true culture, you need to go to Raleigh (1 hour away) or Charlotte (1 3/4 hour).

I will say for its size, this area has some excellent restaurants that rival full metros. I guess that is what a resort town does for you.
Hi Maabus1999,
Just discovered Pinehurst online. It looks very appealing but maybe you can give me the real scoop since you live there. I currently live in Portland Or by way of California. Portland is a great place, walkable, green, upscale, excellent public transportion, restaurants, all this and more. The problem you might ask?? The gray, dreary, rainy winters! I have no interest in going back to CA, so I'm looking for a small place with pleasant winters, where I can ride my bike safely, green/natural surroundings, maybe walk to food and drink. I'm not interested in big box shopping, prefer small and local. The village atmosphere appeals to me, is it possible to find a nice house with trees, close to village and bike friendly? Are winters nice? I don't golf, will I go crazy? thanks for any info you can give me.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:30 AM

88 posts, read 158,759 times
Default pinehurst weather

Have my retirement choices narrowed down to South Carolina or Pinehurst/ Can any residents tell me what to expect in winter? How cold , snow etc? I would only be there from November to April/ I am leaning to Charleston or Hilton Head only because of the warmer winter/ thanks

Old 06-07-2009, 02:22 PM

5 posts, read 28,861 times
From November to April the weather varies from 50's and 60's to some warm 70's days. We wore shorts during February some so it just fluctuates. Nice sweater weather but no need for a big winter coat most of the time. I lived in Ohio most of my life and the difference here is that the skies are normally bright blue during the winter, and one can wear just a sweater or light jacket except for possibly January needing a little more. I think it did snow once or twice briefly a few of the years I was here. Hope that helps and if you need a realtor here are some Home*-*Pinehurst Real Estate, NC Retirement, Horse and Equestrian, Golf Packages in North Carolina Sandhills.

If you would like family and children information for your son and his family here is a good site: SandhillsKids

Old 06-07-2009, 08:40 PM

1,673 posts, read 1,527,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybarry View Post
Hi Maabus1999,
Just discovered Pinehurst online. It looks very appealing but maybe you can give me the real scoop since you live there. I currently live in Portland Or by way of California. Portland is a great place, walkable, green, upscale, excellent public transportion, restaurants, all this and more. The problem you might ask?? The gray, dreary, rainy winters! I have no interest in going back to CA, so I'm looking for a small place with pleasant winters, where I can ride my bike safely, green/natural surroundings, maybe walk to food and drink. I'm not interested in big box shopping, prefer small and local. The village atmosphere appeals to me, is it possible to find a nice house with trees, close to village and bike friendly? Are winters nice? I don't golf, will I go crazy? thanks for any info you can give me.
Well the best thing to do is visit. But I will add this:

Pinehurst is very, very safe but is dark at night (few street lights), so be warned about walking somewhere. If you live in old town, lake pinehurst, or the neighborhood near the hospital, you can walk to food/drink; old town being the center though is very pricey (1 million and up is often seen in the local ads).

Weather is 4 seaons but almost all are mild (summer can get hot in the 80s to low 90s with 50% humidity).

Biking is great to do around here (it is what I do). There is Wicker park in the middle of Pinehurst with trails going out to multiple different neighborhoods and through nature perserves. There is Reservoir park with a trail around the lake and outshoot trails that go through the local community college and up to the Carthage reservoir. There is Weymouth woods which is a state park/perserve with a ton of trails for walking only. Biking is supposedly not allowed. Fort Bragg is a military installation that borders the area that is open to the public with 100s of miles of sand roads and lakes open to public use (within reason if they decide to do excersises). I can go on here for a bit but there is a ton to do outdoor wise.

Oh and if you like horses, you will find a HUGE following here (with the Carolina Horse Park about 10 miles away). If you like NASCAR, there is a track they are trying to get back in the circuit 20 miles south. Raleigh is 1 hour away and has whatever you need, and if it doesn't, Charlotte will have it.

For more culture, Atlanta and Washington DC are 5 hours away. For some of the best beaches in the country, you can be there in 2 hours (3 hours for the outerbanks or Cordova beach). Two hours or so and you are in the mountains with tons of hiking, waterfalls, camping, and skiing For world class rafting, west virgina is about 4-5 hours away. Etc...

This is a great place to live. Again, my only gripe in the world is the social life for people in my age group at times (mid 20's). I get a lot of strange looks in Pinehurst when they find out I'm a homeowner down here. Awesome place to live though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or