U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 11:59 AM

105 posts, read 585,181 times

Advertisements

Well I read a bit about a boy's family that moved to North Carolina from Eastern Pennsylvania. Another case of those dang Yankees looking for a better life!! The boy was Daniel Boone and this was in the 1750's. He was famous for building infrastructure-tho they didn't call it that back then, roads, forts, towns. He must have driven up the prices for the locals. Dang Yankees!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2006, 12:13 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,900,687 times
What about that dang New Englander Eli Whitney who came to the south and invented to cottin gin....therefore not letting the south decline into oblivion and supporting it's plantation economy.

Old 06-23-2006, 12:15 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,670,044 times
Old Daniel fled NC for VA because of hostile locals.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:08 PM

56 posts, read 305,962 times
Default U.S.Citizen

I guess that is when it all started.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:14 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,653,088 times
Well let's not forget about old mr lincoln from Illinios

Old 06-23-2006, 01:28 PM

105 posts, read 585,181 times
Lincoln moved to North Carolina??? Daniel Boone fled the real locals..Indians.
I just find it rather ironic that one of the states hero's is a Yankee!

Old 06-23-2006, 01:46 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,653,088 times
no lincoln never moved there but did help out a lot southerners ( i was referring to the fac that he was NOT a native)

Old 06-23-2006, 02:10 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,670,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weloveantiques
Lincoln moved to North Carolina??? Daniel Boone fled the real locals..Indians.
I just find it rather ironic that one of the states hero's is a Yankee!
I don't recall Daniel Boone ever being mentioned when I was taking NC History in elementary school. The only reason I knew he briefly lived in NC, was that I'm originally from Berks County, PA, the same as him.

Old 06-24-2006, 12:03 AM

56 posts, read 305,962 times
Smile U.S.Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
I don't recall Daniel Boone ever being mentioned when I was taking NC History in elementary school. The only reason I knew he briefly lived in NC, was that I'm originally from Berks County, PA, the same as him.
Well, maybe we really don't have Daniel Boone to call our own but, we do
have Jesse Helms. Didn't he start out as a Senator from NC about the
same time. I think he and Daniel were buddys.

Old 06-24-2006, 12:14 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,184,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
That is weird, isn't it . Davie/Rowan/Wilkes counties have all been stamped by a Boone member presence. Daniel's parents are buried in Mocksville, in a cemetery right next to the old Walmart shopping center parking lot. On highway 64, there is an hysterical (that's what I call them ) marker noting a large tract of King's Grant land given to one of the other Boone kids. There is a Boone Road in Davie county and across the river in Rowan, is Boone's Cave State Park. I rode over there a few years back to check it out. It's a not particularly lovely little wayside, with picnic shelter and trail that leads down to a rock-sided hole in the Yadkin Riverbank. It supposedly provided a hiding place for Daniel when he had to scamper away from pursuing Indians. Today, judging by the beer cans and trash I had to avoid stepping on, it seems a popular hangout place for kids.
Daniel and Rebecca's last NC homestead was north of Wilkesboro.

If you look at a chronology, you see that Daniel spent ~20 years in NC
http://xroads.virginia.edu/~Hyper/HN...hronology.html

I suppose his greater exploits outside the state is why his NC connection is diminished. Someone upthread noted the roads and forts he established? That was in Virginia and Kentucky. The Wilderness Road, starting in Fort Chiswell (Virginia) and culminating at the Cumberland Gap. Then, Ft. Boonesborough in Kentucky. The dude ultimately ended up in Missouri, outside of present-day St. Charles, where he died. Where his bones lie is the subject of a lot of conjecture.

I guess not many people know about the connection between NC and the Enola Gay either (the plane that carried the atomic bomb to Hiroshima). Thomas Wilson Ferebee, the fellow who pulled the lever to let loose the weapon, was born and died outside of Mocksville. His unassuming family home still stands
http://home.att.net/~sallyann4/tom-ferebee.html (broken link)

Last edited by silverwing; 06-24-2006 at 01:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina