Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to North Carolina: healthcare information systems, employment hospital, buying a home, house for sale, biotech research.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,145 times

Advertisements

Hi all!
We are a young(27 & 30) family of 3 who are sick and tired of MA. We have crazy laws, and crazy taxes and are tired of it all. My husband is an avid hunter, and we are conservatives (i know like the only ones in ma LOL!) so we sort of don't fit in here anymore. We visited NC 2 years ago and loved it. We picked this area for relocating to because:
-we wanted to still be able to drive back to MA to visit
-we wanted to stay near the ocean
-we wanted a warmer climate
-we wanted to live somewhere that allows me to stay home with our baby
-and we love the southern way of life.

My question is, where would be the best area to move to? My husband works in information systems for a hospital and has a position lined up he could take at any time working from home making the same salary he makes now (i.e. he could live anywhere in the country). I work in biotech now, and may be able to transfer if i needed to work, but our main goal is to be able to afford for me to stay home until our child and future children can go to school full time. We want a safe small town feel, with a good school system, and a home with decent land ( at least an acre or more). A development would pretty much be out of the question unless the houses were not on top of each other.
So what area would you guys recommend?
Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 06:04 PM

201 posts, read 593,005 times
There are several good medical centers/hospitals, etc... in NC.

The Research Triangle Park (Raleigh/Durham) would be good. About 2 hrs to the coast.

The triad area (Winston-Salem/Greensboro/High Point) would be good because of WFU/Baptist Hospital. About 4 hrs to the coast.

There may be something close to Charlotte area, I'm not sure but that is a larger metro area so higher costs, taxes, more crime, etc...

I live in the Triad and love it!!

Good luck in your decision!

Old 02-21-2009, 04:17 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,072,539 times
A small rural town sounds perfect for you. So the Triangle area might not be a good fit.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:02 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,434,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvas2004 View Post
Hi all!
We are a young(27 & 30) family of 3 who are sick and tired of MA. We have crazy laws, and crazy taxes and are tired of it all. My husband is an avid hunter, and we are conservatives (i know like the only ones in ma LOL!) so we sort of don't fit in here anymore. We visited NC 2 years ago and loved it. We picked this area for relocating to because:
-we wanted to still be able to drive back to MA to visit
-we wanted to stay near the ocean
-we wanted a warmer climate
-we wanted to live somewhere that allows me to stay home with our baby
-and we love the southern way of life.

My question is, where would be the best area to move to? My husband works in information systems for a hospital and has a position lined up he could take at any time working from home making the same salary he makes now (i.e. he could live anywhere in the country). I work in biotech now, and may be able to transfer if i needed to work, but our main goal is to be able to afford for me to stay home until our child and future children can go to school full time. We want a safe small town feel, with a good school system, and a home with decent land ( at least an acre or more). A development would pretty much be out of the question unless the houses were not on top of each other.
So what area would you guys recommend?
Thanks for any info!
You would be 3+ hours to the ocean but Cabarrus county may be a good fit. It's right outside of Charlotte. There are several nice hospitals in the area and in surrounding counties (Mecklenburg, Rowan, Iredell). In a small town called Kannapolis there is the NC Research Campus.

Quote:
a world class research hub where collaborative science will lead the charge for great discoveries in nutrition, health and biotechnology research.
Cabarrus County
City of Kannapolis

Last edited by NCgirl; 02-21-2009 at 05:12 PM..

Old 02-23-2009, 07:51 AM

635 posts, read 3,088,319 times
Talking You might consider Sanford, NC

As mentioned above, the Triangle/Triad have a lot of biotech and IT, so that might be a good area for you to base out of. Charlotte also has a large biotech campus that was just built to its north, although I forget exactly where. I also think Charlotte may be a bit more "conservative" given the heavy banking industry there, so that may be something you are interested in as well. The Chapel Hill/Carborro area is pretty "liberal", and the Triangle is a mix. But these are of course generalizations.

But if you like the Triangle/Triad area, but you are looking for land, open space, affordability, and more of a small/mid sized town feel, you might consider Sanford.

We are almost smack-dab in the middle of the state, and practically equidistant from Greensboro, Raleigh/Durham/Cary, and Fayetteville. So we have easy ~30min access to any of those metro areas, and are equally 2-3 hours from beach or mountains.

Sanford has everything you need, being a mid-sized city of around 30k population, but still has a mayor that will wave to you and probably know you by name. And if there is something you "want" that Sanford doesn't have, again, the larger cities are just 30 minutes away.

We moved here, by way of a quick 1yr in Cary, from San Jose CA and have been very pleased. In the short 3 years we've been here, we've made more friends and gotten more involved in local government, community, etc than we were able to during a decade in the "big city". It really seems like you can make a difference and see progress in these smaller communities.

Being relatively small, Sanford has a variety of housing, everything from rural farms, historic housing, new condos, to golf/gated communities... all within minutes of each other.

City of Sanford, North Carolina | Official Government Website

Live Well Centered.

Here are some maps showing Sanford's relative position in the state:

Live Well Centered.

Good luck!
Al
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina