Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 03:49 AM

5 posts, read 28,084 times

Advertisements

I too love the Bradford blossoms, even when they are "snowing" off of the trees on a blustery day! We had a beautiful one in our yard that the original owners had planted 10 years previous. During a severe ice storm about 3 or 4 years ago the entire tree just split right down the middle into 3 pieces. I'd never seen a tree do that!! We chose not to replace it with another bradford, but I do enjoy seeing them in other's yards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 12:18 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki View Post
I had to make a couple trips to Goodwill today to drop off a bunch of boxes of things. I did notice the dogwoods blooming. (It was dark the last time I had been out.) It was a beautiful day for a drive here in Greensboro. All the lovely trees blooming.

Off topic, but the fall foliage in Greensboro was really remarkable to me. I'm really glad that I lived there long enough to see that. Prior to that, I'd only lived in more coastal-type areas with pines and oaks. We never had many hickories or other large deciduous trees that turn crazy shades of gold, red, orange, yellow, etc.

But I moved to Wilmington just in time to see the azaleas blooming

Old 03-30-2007, 01:51 PM

143 posts, read 485,412 times
Dogwoods are coming out "big-time" now around central NC. Redbud, too! I agree about the smell of the Bradford Pear but the appearance makes up for it! It was great to see all the trees coming out in March, as this is our first spring here (we moved from MA). This much leaf activity doesn't happen until May up there

I'm also noticing that most of the hostas in my yard grew several inches out of the ground this week! I'm loving it!!!

Old 03-30-2007, 04:10 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Default Bradford Pears, my neck of the woods (Wake county)

A feast for the eyes ... for those who are not (yet) in NC!
Attached Thumbnails
Tree's W/White Blossoms?-spring-blooms-004.jpg   Tree's W/White Blossoms?-spring-blooms-005.jpg   Tree's W/White Blossoms?-spring-blooms-006.jpg   Tree's W/White Blossoms?-spring-blooms-007.jpg  

Old 03-30-2007, 11:10 PM

73 posts, read 308,816 times
Default From Hickory

Hello,
It's nice to hear how all the folk's that have moved here from the different states are enjoying the tree's bloom. It's now time for the tulip's to pop up.
Happy Springtime in NC
CATHY

Old 04-02-2007, 12:20 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,213 times
Anonymous,
There's an azalea festival every April in Wilmington. Complete with Southern Belles.

I drove by several beautiful yards here in Greensboro the other day with redbuds, dogwoods and azaleas in them. It's hard to stay on the road this time of year when you pass by such beauty.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 12,358 times
Default Dogwood Tree

I hope this helps everyone.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogwood

Old 04-02-2007, 04:34 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jul4pfam View Post
I hope this helps everyone.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogwood
yes it did help, I never realized there were so many dogwood species. The only one I've ever (knowingly) seen was the white flowering dogwod.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:48 AM

1 posts, read 4,892 times
What are the white flowering trees in the woods all along the highways in NC right now (March)? They are not dogwoods--they are tall and the blossoms almost look like apple trees. They're everywhere!

Old 03-25-2016, 06:54 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen76 View Post
What are the white flowering trees in the woods all along the highways in NC right now (March)? They are not dogwoods--they are tall and the blossoms almost look like apple trees. They're everywhere!
Look at the pics of the Bradford Pears from the 2007 posts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina