U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 05:49 PM

11,790 posts, read 26,711,628 times

Advertisements

I was watching CNN and heard about this. NC is wanting to install a meter on your car to count your mileage. They want to tax you for the amount of miles that you drive. IMHO, I think it's rediculous, especially that they already tax your car every year. They did say it would probably take about 10 years to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 06:04 PM

2,698 posts, read 9,911,979 times
i think it's a more fair way of doing it. the current system (a combo of taxing gas and an anuual tax on the vehicle) has started to run into a fundamental flaw. cars are becoming increasingly more fuel-efficient, which means less tax dollars overall. but just because cars become more fuel efficient doesn't mean roads need any less maintenance or we need fewer new roads, so the difference eventually needs to be made up.

they could raise the gas tax, but if vehicles keep getting more fuel-efficient, that doesn't help. they could also raise the vehicle tax, but is that fair? if i own a $250K sports car (i don't, but a boy can dream) that hardly ever sees the road, should i pay more than the person driving the $500 clunker 100+ miles a day? which one is more directly causing the need for road maintenance and expansion (hence the need for the tax)? and keep in mind, in the end, the person with the sprts car probably still pays more just on the annual tax alone.

the only thing i don't like is having some device installed on my car. i don't like Big Brother. i would hope they would find a way to just use odometer readings.

Mike

PS - i actually do have a 100+ mile daily commute, so this would hurt me most. still, what's fair is fair.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:19 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,484,987 times
There are people like me who do business inthe border states. So alot of my mileage is put on in another state.
I dont think locals, retirees should be penalize for out of state travel.
This isnt a reasonable option.

In 10 years we will have different state senators and representative who will laugh at this

Old 02-20-2009, 07:26 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,634,454 times
Apparently, the Feds were thinking about a mileage tax too...........until today.

Transportation agency: Obama will not pursue mileage tax - CNN.com

Old 02-21-2009, 04:20 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,898,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I was watching CNN and heard about this. NC is wanting to install a meter on your car to count your mileage. They want to tax you for the amount of miles that you drive. IMHO, I think it's rediculous, especially that they already tax your car every year. They did say it would probably take about 10 years to do.
It is already on your car, it is called an odometer, and it would take no time to do, and no expense to the state. When you get your annual vehicle inspection the record the mileage. (they always have) and they compute the difference between this year and last year, and you pay the tax right then and there plus the vehicle safety and emissions fees. Since inspections must be online to inspect your car, when they enter the tag number, and the current mileage they have all the information they have and will charge you, via the inspection station, on the spot.

The idea kinda got dropped a while back, but with the current economic environment, I'm sure they are looking for every possible way to pickpocket every time they can from our pockets.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:42 PM

795 posts, read 1,229,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
There are people like me who do business inthe border states. So alot of my mileage is put on in another state.

In 10 years we will have different state senators and representative who will laugh at this

I didn't think this was a bad idea until I read your post. You bring up a very good point.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordomo View Post
I didn't think this was a bad idea until I read your post. You bring up a very good point.
I suspect that it would never stand up to a legal challenge. How can any state justify taxing drivers for miles driven in other states, or even other countries. Some day I'd like to spend some time touring Canada, and I'll be damned if I'm paying NC for the privilege.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Hopefully sooner than than 10 years

Old 02-21-2009, 08:30 PM

924 posts, read 1,854,323 times
I am a vendor and I drive over 100 miles each day of the work week to and from different places in NC and SC. I think this would be extremely unfair.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:37 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,829,143 times
Quote:

I so hope you are right. That sounds like a retiree's nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina