U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-24-2006, 09:43 PM
 
5,265 posts, read 14,874,976 times
Reputation: 4238

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
I'll take smokers over crying babies and little kids running amok. They should have a section for adults only.
While they might give you a temporary headache, I doubt the screaming kids would give you cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-24-2006, 09:57 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
56 posts, read 298,652 times
Reputation: 54
Arrow Smoking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
While they might give you a temporary headache, I doubt the screaming kids would give you cancer.
~~
I'm with I'mInformed!!
But just for the records - living in Greensboro, NC for 2 years and in Rochester, New York, prior ~
Rochester, NY = NO smoking anywhere...including bars, restaurants...
North Carolina = TRUE TOBACCO COUNTRY with lots of places for smokers...including restaurants and of course bars...even the kids in high school smoke soooo much (in the restrooms) that my daughter wait to go to the bathroom till she gets home! The smoke is that heavy!
But, as I'mInformed stated, screaming kids can give you a headache, but smoke can cause problems for someone who is type 1 diabetic (slower circulation as it is) like my daughter as well as others will allergies or other chronic illnesses...
Anyways...the point of this is to make aware the smoking allowances and regulations in NC. Hope it answered your question(s).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2006, 04:56 AM
 
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
1,111 posts, read 3,230,419 times
Reputation: 856
George Carlin said it best "the non smoking section of a restaurant is like the non peeing section of the public pool".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2006, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
12,003 posts, read 28,245,329 times
Reputation: 8510
Hey hapaleeretired...thanks for my laugh of the morning! I may have to write that one down and use it, myself!!! Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2006, 10:29 AM
 
5,265 posts, read 14,874,976 times
Reputation: 4238
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraerieL
~~
I'm with I'mInformed!!
But just for the records - living in Greensboro, NC for 2 years and in Rochester, New York, prior ~
Rochester, NY = NO smoking anywhere...including bars, restaurants...
North Carolina = TRUE TOBACCO COUNTRY with lots of places for smokers...including restaurants and of course bars...even the kids in high school smoke soooo much (in the restrooms) that my daughter wait to go to the bathroom till she gets home! The smoke is that heavy!
But, as I'mInformed stated, screaming kids can give you a headache, but smoke can cause problems for someone who is type 1 diabetic (slower circulation as it is) like my daughter as well as others will allergies or other chronic illnesses...
Anyways...the point of this is to make aware the smoking allowances and regulations in NC. Hope it answered your question(s).
Where in Rochester are you from?!?! I was born and raised in Greece and now I'm moving back after being in the triangle for 11 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2006, 12:46 PM
 
Location: The Miami Of Canada
1,044 posts, read 3,402,419 times
Reputation: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired
George Carlin said it best "the non smoking section of a restaurant is like the non peeing section of the public pool".
LOL! That is a good quote! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2006, 05:28 PM
 
Location: beautiful NC mountains!
904 posts, read 2,586,557 times
Reputation: 1250
Is smoking allowed in office buildings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2006, 05:42 PM
 
Location: Canton, Georgia
75 posts, read 245,516 times
Reputation: 33
From the Student Code of Conduct handbook for Nash County students (page 7):

"No student shall possess, smoke or otherwise use any tobacco product in any school building or school vehicle at any time, on the school premises during the school day, or during any period of time when students are subject to the authority of school personel."

http://www.nrms.k12.nc.us/pdf/student/CODE_STUDENT_CONDUCT.pdf (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2006, 05:59 PM
 
872 posts, read 3,268,658 times
Reputation: 467
While I was in HS(North Meck) probally about 50% of the kids smoked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2006, 10:13 AM
 
1,531 posts, read 6,834,684 times
Reputation: 487
North Carolina has no laws about banning smoking in restaurants, etc, at all. In fact, they have a law that bans counties or cities from enacting such laws. (Crazy, ain't it?)

NC does ban smoking in schools, colleges, government buildings, libraries, hospitals, airports, buses, etc.

Any restaurant, retail store, office bldg, etc, can very well ban smoking in their building on their own. In fact in the Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/ChapelHill) area, I have probably seen dozens of restaurants do so on their own. Even a couple of bars. Various counties have links on the websites of their health departments that list (& congratulate) such establishments. That's the most they can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top