Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 04:57 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,385 times

Advertisements

Is it allowed in public places )rest, bars, etc) here in NY I do not think it is allowed anywhere except outside anymore. The bars in NYC fought it but I think they lost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2006, 05:05 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,718,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WenIs02
Is it allowed in public places )rest, bars, etc) here in NY I do not think it is allowed anywhere except outside anymore. The bars in NYC fought it but I think they lost
That's a good question.

Isn't NC one of the major tobacco crop producing states besides KY? So cigarettes must be cheaper too? Does that mean more smokers per capita than other states?

I think I tried to google this stuff but came up with very little info (except what the American Lung Association had about smoking in general).

Old 06-24-2006, 05:11 PM

132 posts, read 403,696 times
Yup they have smoking sections in restaurants. We can't smoke anywhere here in Delaware either and it was weird being asked smoking or non when we went out. And I guess since we are so used to not smoking inside we still chose non.

Old 06-24-2006, 05:21 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick
That's a good question.

Isn't NC one of the major tobacco crop producing states besides KY? So cigarettes must be cheaper too? Does that mean more smokers per capita than other states?

I think I tried to google this stuff but came up with very little info (except what the American Lung Association had about smoking in general).
NC is the number 1 grower of tobacco.

NC does not have the lowest cigg. prices.

NC does not have the most smokers per capita.

While some NC places have smoking sections, some do not permit smoking in their business at all.

Last edited by mm34b; 06-24-2006 at 05:26 PM..

Old 06-24-2006, 05:41 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
This is tobacco country.... banning smoking in NC would be like banning corporate business in New York. I personally can't stand cigarrette smoke though.

Old 06-24-2006, 06:34 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,825,036 times
I believe Pittsburg, PA just started a smoking ban as did the state of Hawaii. Just a matter of time. They were all up in arms when CA did it years ago, but it's great! After a couple of months of complaining smokers it's a non issue.

Nothing like sitting in the non smoking section, next to the smoking section, discusting!

Old 06-24-2006, 06:38 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
amen.... before they banned smocking in altogehter in public in NY state, they did have it so that most restaraunts had seperate smoking ROOMS, so it didn't linger into the non-smoking area.

Old 06-24-2006, 06:38 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy
I believe Pittsburg, PA just started a smoking ban as did the state of Hawaii. Just a matter of time. They were all up in arms when CA did it years ago, but it's great! After a couple of months of complaining smokers it's a non issue.

Nothing like sitting in the non smoking section, next to the smoking section, discusting!
I'll take smokers over crying babies and little kids running amok. They should have a section for adults only.

Old 06-24-2006, 08:08 PM

170 posts, read 566,209 times
Here in WA state, they recently passed a law where not only can you not smoke at all in restaurants and businesses, but you must be 25 ft. from the building when smoking outside. They are issuing tickets if you're within that range. You should have seen the smokers at my work, outside with measuring tapes and marking chalk on the roads. (I'm so glad I don't smoke )

Old 06-24-2006, 09:35 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
In Raleigh and Cary, you cannot smoke at the mall nor can you smoke in most public buildings. There was some law passed a few years ago that said if you had a small restaurant or bar, and you didn't have some type of filtration system that you could not have a smoking section. Some restaurants do allow smoking in the smoking section. No movies allow smoking. I'm not a smoker so it sure doesn't bother me! I'm not too impressed with companies that allow their smokers to block the entrance while smoking either. Nothing I hate worse than walking through a bunch of smokers coughing and smoking all over me! Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina