U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 02:38 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,229,244 times

Advertisements

Do y'all think we're stuck up and snobby? Some people moved here from Greensboro and they say its hard to make friends here because we're all too clannish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 03:48 PM

1,878 posts, read 4,765,953 times
My brother lives in Fredericksburg and I haven't noticed the people to be much different (or anywhere I have been in VA, but I have never lived there). Other than some people are surprised we don't have a southern accent and that the weather isn't much different. But ignorance can come from anywhere. The main thing I noticed is the lack of sweet tea and Bojangles Then again those aren't people either, lol.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:20 PM

127 posts, read 419,102 times
My wife and I lived in Richmond for five years. We found the locals to be aloof. Most of the friends we made were not originally from Richmond.

Last edited by fmors; 03-01-2009 at 05:35 PM..

Old 03-01-2009, 05:58 PM

3,856 posts, read 6,624,384 times
I have friends from all part of Virginia, but never lived there myself. Just like ALL states, Virginia is diverse with a variety of cultures in different parts of the state. I think there are probably snooty people everywhere if you look hard enough. The people I know from VA aren't. It's not fair to generalize about any state.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:26 AM

1,335 posts, read 4,593,762 times
I moved to NC over 10 years ago from the southwestern part of Virginia. Additionally, I met some really good friends that happen to live in Richmond. Honestly, there are so many transplants in NC that when asked where I moved here from I usually reply "Oh just Virginia." I've never encountered any bad vibes.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:28 AM

127 posts, read 419,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
Do y'all think we're stuck up and snobby? Some people moved here from Greensboro and they say its hard to make friends here because we're all too clannish.
I cannot comment on all of Virginia only Richmond where we lived for five years. We found Richmond to be very clannish. It is a city truly divided by the James river. The whole time I lived there people would ask "Do you live on the west end or the south side?". The blue blood Richmonders lived on the west end while the transplants seemed to be more concentrated on the Southside. Needless to say I found the Southside more to my liking. Also, North Carolina was the brunt of many jokes.

Last edited by fmors; 03-02-2009 at 08:35 AM..

Old 03-02-2009, 12:29 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,722,309 times
When I graduated from College in Raleigh, a good friend of mine did too and moved to Richmond. A year later, I saw him at a football game and asked him how he liked Richmond. He said something that has stuck with me ever since. He said, "I didn't know it was possible to move north and south at the same time". Mind you, this was a long time ago and his perspective was from that of a child of a transfered family from NY. When I dug deeper, he said that he felt that the Richmond community was much more stratified and separated and that the nature of the City/County relationships made that even more evident since cities and counties are independent from each other.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:36 PM

310 posts, read 1,000,744 times
If they want to wait 'till they're married, that's fine with us.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
When I graduated from College in Raleigh, a good friend of mine did too and moved to Richmond. A year later, I saw him at a football game and asked him how he liked Richmond. He said something that has stuck with me ever since. He said, "I didn't know it was possible to move north and south at the same time". Mind you, this was a long time ago and his perspective was from that of a child of a transfered family from NY. When I dug deeper, he said that he felt that the Richmond community was much more stratified and separated and that the nature of the City/County relationships made that even more evident since cities and counties are independent from each other.
Thats true. Richmond is much more Southern than Raleigh.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
My brother lives in Fredericksburg and I haven't noticed the people to be much different (or anywhere I have been in VA, but I have never lived there). Other than some people are surprised we don't have a southern accent and that the weather isn't much different. But ignorance can come from anywhere. The main thing I noticed is the lack of sweet tea and Bojangles Then again those aren't people either, lol.
We have plenty of sweet tea in Virginia, and Bojangles as well- mostly Bojangles is South and East of Richmond.

We have Southern accents in Virginia. They must have been DC people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina