Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2009, 11:49 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,465,730 times

Advertisements

It looks like one committee has passed this. I hope this goes all the way through, but we'll have to wait and see!

NC House committee approves public smoking ban - Politics - News & Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/politics/story/1426391.html - broken link)

Old 03-03-2009, 12:21 PM

584 posts, read 2,423,574 times
Pathetic. If you don't like people smoking around you then freakin' go someplace else.

I'm sorry her husband died, but his habit was his. Does anyone really think that inhaling a burning substance is good for you? Come on.

And the restrictions on where he could and could not smoke helped him cut back - therefore - allowing him to smoke in places encouraged his habit? So it's the states fault that he couldn't quit cause they didn't tell him he should stop. Our society has become so weak and sad.

I guess overweight people are going to sue McDonalds cause McD didn't stop them from eating. Wait....hasn't this already been done.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:38 PM

321 posts, read 1,577,471 times
i think maybe you missed the point of the story. She was not suing the State, or anybody else, for her Husband's death. Simply supporting the no-smoking ban.
As an ex-smoker from a state that changed over to non-smoking while I was there, I have to say it was much more pleasant to go out for dinner after the ban, even though I was still a smoker.
It was very strange to come here after that. In some restaurants that have smoking sections, there is no clear distinction between the two. Cracker Barrel is one such place where the smoke drifts, also, the Longhorn steakhouse in Brier Creek and Applebee's in Brier Creek. It is REALLY noticeable since I quit.
As for going someplace else, that's just rude. Why should non-smoker's not go to places they like because of the smoke? I support the smoking ban in NC, and would have supported it as a smoker. It just makes the environment more pleasant, and everything feels cleaner, never mind being considerate to the other customers.
A fat person eating McDonald's triple decker burger with extra large fries does not spill trans-fats over to everybody else around eating a salad does it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina