U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-21-2007, 08:01 PM

15 posts, read 34,426 times
Question Do Jobs Exist For New College Grads? (From CT)

I've enjoyed reading all the posts on this site and I've been excited about the thought of moving to Raleigh, NC since I visited back in 2004.

I currently live in Stamford, CT and I pay $800/month for a tiny roach infested studio. Its impossible for me to go out to eat with anyone without spending at least $80 for sub-standard food. The area is congested and hectic and after coming back down to Stamford from upstate CT...I find the people rude and pretentious.

When I graduated college this was not what I dreamed of. The job market in CT is stagnant and while I have job opportunities...I unfortunately hate it here and I find it hard to commit to long term prospects in an area I can't afford or want to be in.

I know I will love the climate and the cost of living in the Raleigh area. I also enjoy Carolina Barbecue and College Basketball. I'm a Big East fan (Uconn) but I like watching the ACC too!

My question...If anyone would be able to help me is pretty straight-forward:

Could a recent college grad with a business degree from the University of CT and only a year's worth of work experience hope to find work in the Raleigh area?

I know in certain areas they may be biased for home-grown grads or that in fact the area simply caters to the natives or those that have been relocated with a job or who have extensive work experience.

I've got money saved - An expired lease - A degree - And a dream for a better life - Is there opportunity in the area for someone like myself?

My gf and brother are also wondering how the area is for those without college degrees but who have corporate work experience.

How much truth do you think there is to the new report issued by Forbes that lists Raleigh as the #1 place for jobs in the US?

Any response is appreciated and thanks for the time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 09:27 AM

2,357 posts, read 27,557 times
i graduated from college about a year ago, and have just recently started my second job. My advice is to stay open about different locations. I'm from South Carolina, and I was willing to move anywhere between Washington DC and Jacksonville, FL. After 3 months of applications, interviews, and general BS, I wound up in Greensboro. Now I'm in Wilmington. I'd guess that I sent my resume to 50 places, was contacted by about 10 of them, and interviewed with about 3 or 4. Several places contacted me in October, when I'd sent my resume way back in May. I'm not in business, though, I'm in a fairly specialized tech-related field.

I had a friend/roomate that had to move to Charlotte. He was more or less local (1hr away), and it took him about a year to secure an entry-level job. He was about to start working for $7/hour at Kinko's, and a good gig just fell out of the sky.

Long story short, my advice is:
1. Secure a job before you move
2. Broaden your search, i.e. in addition to Raleigh, I'd also be looking in Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Charlotte, Durham, Chapel Hill, Asheville, Wilmington, Richmond VA, etc. You know, Raleigh is nice, but it's nothing special. I think the whole area from Raleigh to Winston-Salem is all very similar. Charlotte is a large banking and financial center, and would be a good place for someone with a business degree.
3. Do what you've gotta do to get by. Apply to places you think you're overqualified for. Having options is the key, and to have options, you need to be more flexibile IMO.

good luck.

Last edited by anonymous; 03-22-2007 at 09:43 AM..

Old 03-22-2007, 12:29 PM

15 posts, read 34,426 times
Thanks Everyone!
I appreciate the input

When your graduating the sky is the limit - Companies are willing to interview out of state if they know you'll move. If I was specialized into a specific field and had experience in it - It would be easier to find interested parties

I stepped out from those doors (college) and the only offers I receive now are in the NY Metro area - I have sought out positions that are located further south and west - Local talent is preferred

I have a little over a year and half work experience - Various temp assignments - And a years stint as Client Coordinator with a Financial Software company.
Most new business grads will look fairly similar on paper.
I always distinguish myself in interviews...but getting someone from out of my area to look at my resume just isn't gonna happen.

I need to move to find work unless i'm willing (which i'm not) to stay in the NY metro area - The C.O.L is prohibitive and I'm tired of the area

I'm qualified and interview well enough to get offered positions in the NY metro area - But I need a move - Market rate for my 400 sq ft studio is $950 (connections got me a "deal" at 800/month) - I sought to upgrade but when a median level 1 bedroom apartment goes for $1400 and my market rate is 35-40 G/yr...Its just not worth it -
I understand the concept that financially I would be better off earning a higher salary and slumming until I had enough experience to get relocated... rather than earning less in a new area, facing uncertainty and having a higher Quality of Life.

While I am still young - I still beleive that the quality of my life is more important than the quantity in my bank

I used the info from Forbes "Best cities for Jobs" - Raleigh is ranked #1 - My research indicated that this would be a good area - I also like the climate and the area when I visited a few years ago. I'm intelligent enough to know that this may not mean anything for someone in my situation - Interesting enough Charlotte and other parts of NC are ranked fairly low on this list with higher rates of unemployment and less job growth.

Please - I would love to hear more anecdotal stories from the area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina