U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2009, 07:30 PM

1,851 posts, read 1,878,352 times

Advertisements

Interesting title.

So can someone explain to me where all this money from this so-called "Education Lottery" goes?

Every year people are winning millions, upon millions.......upon millions of dollars by playing the "North Carolina Education Lottery" which results in millions, upon millions.......upon millions of dollars in tax revenue.

Yet ......

Teachers are being laid off.

Schools have friggin' single-wide trailers (as opposed to true construction additions to their structures) as add-ons for the expanding student populations.

Parents have to buy just about everything under the sun in school supplies, for their kids (and their teachers ); so that they have even the most basic of school supplies.

I mean, what the hell is going on here?

Since when are parents required to buy teachers stick-um pads and other school supplies?

Where's all these countless millions upon millions of dollars the state rakes in from this "North Carolina Education Lottery" ??????????

I don't know about anyone else, but something stinks to high heaven, here!!!

Maybe someone can explain this to me. Maybe breakdown the numbers, connect the dots and fill in the missing gaps. Because I smell doo-doo.

From the "North Carolina Education Lottery" website:

About Us

" ...100 percent of the net proceeds of the North Carolina Education Lottery will go to education expenses, including reduced class size in early grades, academic prekindergarten programs, school construction, and scholarships for needy college and university students..... "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 07:38 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,670,044 times
Budgetary raid on lottery funds raises alarm :: WRAL.com

Old 03-14-2009, 07:41 PM

769 posts, read 1,983,679 times
I found this to be an interesting article NY lottery biggest in '05, Ohio's cost most-agency | Reuters.com

It doesn't mention NC specifically, but the first factor is that term in your quote "NET profits". The article says that more than $48 billion in tickets were sold in 2005 (in all state lotteries combined) and yet only $16 billion was paid out to state education systems - less than 1/4 of gross sales. 16 billion is a lot - until you spread it across 50 states.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:47 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,147,825 times
Well, HALF of the profits go for a program to put underprivileged 4 year olds into a pre-school program. The chart on the page on the link below shows this and lumps class reduction size in with it, but dig through the figures to really see the millions spent on 4 year old pre-school classes. I think I am the only person in the state that finds this large expenditure of money rather curious, b/c your child and my child cannot participate in this free program unless your child is determined to be "at risk." I would really like to see how this program is measurably doing anything that is actually improving education in NC.

About Us: Where the Money Goes

50 percent of the total remainder shall be used for reduction of class size ratios in early grades to 18 children per teacher and for prekindergarten programs for at-risk four year olds who would not otherwise be served in high-quality settings.

40 percent of the total remainder shall be used for school construction. Roughly 65 percent of this total shall be distributed to each county based on total school enrollment. The remaining 35 percent of this total shall be distributed to each county with average effective county property tax rates above the state average based on total school enrollment.

10 percent of the total remainder shall be used for college scholarships for students who qualify for the federal Pell Grant. These scholarships can be used at North Carolina public and private universities and community colleges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or