Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2009, 03:18 PM

3 posts, read 6,103 times

Advertisements

Well first off im a young man looking for a change of scenery. Me and my 2 friends were thinking about moving. I've been reading a little here and there on this site too. If i move down:
1. I love the beach so i was thinking of checking out Wilmington area or maybe Myrtle Beach (i know SC). I will be looking for a bartending job perhaps or something commercialized to help get me settled. Are these areas good to look into for those types of jobs and amenities, (malls, restaurants,shops, movies, go-karts ect.ect.) or..
2. I look into the raleigh/chapel hill area. Which areas around there are somewhat commercialized and easy to live in? Safe and friendly. Not to much in the city but a nice town near it. I want nice neighborhoods with your amenities in different plazas but sort of shuffled around so its a litlle interesting.

I don't want to live in a congested city, but similar to towns like longwood or winter park Florida (sorry if you've never heard of them). I've lived in Longwood FL, El Paso TX, Ridgefield CT, Newton MA, Arlington TX, and I don't like Texas so much because it is to spread apart. I don't like MA becasue its to congested, roads are terrible, hate the weather. El Paso and Florida were my favorites (El Paso is the desert, to hot) but they were nice places to live. Everything you'd ever need were there. And it wasn't harsh driving anywere. So are these places good to look into?

Sorry if this is long but im trying to make a detailed thread for the right people. Thanks

Last edited by oceanisla; 03-17-2009 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: try to make it more comprehendable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 10:55 AM

917 posts, read 2,299,304 times
Probably any beach area would be good for finding a bartending job. Yes, I would think Wilmington and Myrtle Bch. would have plenty of those, but you said you didn't want congestion... Any city is going to have some of that. The smaller towns along the coast would maybe be to your liking but jobs are pretty seasonal there. If you want stuff to do, malls,arcades etc.. you are going to have to be in or very near a city.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:41 PM

I don't mind congestion so much as boston, (were im at now) that is to grid-like, no parking, expensive and stressful to go anywhere. I know most cities will be like that but say florida towns for example have bigger roads and better mobility. As far as the beach towns, are they very quiet in the fall, winter times? I don't want it to be really hard for my friends and i to pay the bills. Is it very retirement oriented with not much going on in the way of businesses. Obv. golf courses would be a good place to look for a bartending job but my friends might not have anywhere to look for jobs. So i guess Raleigh is the better place to move to. Which areas around Raleigh are nice neighborhoods? Is Chapel Hill a nice area? I'm just trying to get a better understanding of the surrounding areas. Newer towns are the best imo. Again nothing very quiet. (Just a great balance of everything

Old 03-19-2009, 07:59 AM

444 posts, read 1,143,989 times
Florida...and el paso... My favorite places that about fit your description are charlston,sc and Savanah, Ga (both are close together near the state line right at the beach). It is small living but so very relaxed, warm, and everything you need is right there. Please check them out.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:35 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanisla View Post
Well first off im a young man looking for a change of scenery. Me and my 2 friends were thinking about moving. I've been reading a little here and there on this site too. If i move down:
1. I love the beach so i was thinking of checking out Wilmington area or maybe Myrtle Beach (i know SC). I will be looking for a bartending job perhaps or something commercialized to help get me settled. Are these areas good to look into for those types of jobs and amenities, (malls, restaurants,shops, movies, go-karts ect.ect.) or..
2. I look into the raleigh/chapel hill area. Which areas around there are somewhat commercialized and easy to live in? Safe and friendly. Not to much in the city but a nice town near it. I want nice neighborhoods with your amenities in different plazas but sort of shuffled around so its a litlle interesting.

I don't want to live in a congested city, but similar to towns like longwood or winter park Florida (sorry if you've never heard of them). I've lived in Longwood FL, El Paso TX, Ridgefield CT, Newton MA, Arlington TX, and I don't like Texas so much because it is to spread apart. I don't like MA becasue its to congested, roads are terrible, hate the weather. El Paso and Florida were my favorites (El Paso is the desert, to hot) but they were nice places to live. Everything you'd ever need were there. And it wasn't harsh driving anywere. So are these places good to look into?

Sorry if this is long but im trying to make a detailed thread for the right people. Thanks
Small world, I live in Longwood. We too are looking to move to NC. I really like Myrtle Beach to vacation. It may be a good place to bartend. As for towns like Longwood, you may like Wake Forest, Apex, or even parts of N. Raleigh. Actually N. Raleigh reminds me more of Altamonte Springs. I haven't really looked into other areas of NC.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Small world, I live in Longwood. We too are looking to move to NC. I really like Myrtle Beach to vacation. It may be a good place to bartend. As for towns like Longwood, you may like Wake Forest, Apex, or even parts of N. Raleigh. Actually N. Raleigh reminds me more of Altamonte Springs. I haven't really looked into other areas of NC.
I used to live in Sable Point. If N. Raleigh is like Altamonte Springs then that sounds like a good place for me to go check out, if i remember Altamonte and Longwood correctly. The two are right next to each other and was almost like one right? Maybe i should think about moving back to Orlando haha.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:25 AM

444 posts, read 1,143,989 times
Just to warn you...myrtle beach is way overcrowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina