Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 11:26 AM

29 posts, read 98,196 times

Advertisements

Hello. I tried searching for information regarding this route I'll be taking from NY to Winston-Salem, NC, but I couldn't find anything. I'd like to know if I can drive this Uhaul truck on the highways and roads I'll be taking. I'll be towing a car, but not sure if that matters. Please see the links if you need specific details.

Vehicle: U-Haul: Moving equipment guide: Moving trucks, cargo trailers, utility trailers, vehicle trailers

Route: Driving Directions from 100 Main St, Monsey, NY to 100 Brookberry Dr, Winston Salem, NC

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 02:42 PM

917 posts, read 2,298,630 times
I'm pretty sure the only road you need to stay away from is the Garden State Parkway in NJ. You should be fine.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:24 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The El View Post
Hello. I tried searching for information regarding this route I'll be taking from NY to Winston-Salem, NC, but I couldn't find anything. I'd like to know if I can drive this Uhaul truck on the highways and roads I'll be taking. I'll be towing a car, but not sure if that matters. Please see the links if you need specific details.

Vehicle: U-Haul: Moving equipment guide: Moving trucks, cargo trailers, utility trailers, vehicle trailers

Route: Driving Directions from 100 Main St, Monsey, NY to 100 Brookberry Dr, Winston Salem, NC

Thanks in advance.

It's a lovely drive, I see no reason why you couldn't do it with a UHaul, especially on that small!

Old 03-23-2009, 08:48 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,005 times
That's a small U-haul, and even with a trailer you'll be fine. Going down I-81 through VA and Fancy Gap on the state line may get a slight bit dicey, but again for a small U-haul I think you'll be ok.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 03-23-2009, 09:18 PM

Thanks all! I was concerned about parkways like the Garden State. Not sure about the rules in NC regarding trucks on parkways.

I remembered seeing commercial trucks on all roads, except some smaller ones closer to the NC border, but I presume it's okay.

Last thing I'd want is to be pulled over.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:53 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times
Are any of those roads toll roads?

Also, remember that you must pull into the weigh stations if your GVW mandates it. I doubt it will for a truck of that size, but just be aware of it.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:24 AM

Thanks for the last tip, SuperK.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:13 PM

8 posts, read 251,563 times
You won't have any problems in terms of restrictions. Some bridges/tolls require paying by the axle. Try to keep out of a situation where you'd have to back up in reverse. Careful of drive thru's- fast food, coffee, atm machines, etc,...can cause roof damage. Lower your driving speed, increase braking distances, widen your turns and wear your seatbelt. Periodically pull over to a safe location, and inspect the hook up, and ask them how to or what to check before you leave.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:50 AM

44 posts, read 245,122 times
Yes. Why wouldn't it be ok?

Old 04-21-2009, 04:13 PM

2 posts, read 8,857 times
I have a question kinda off subject.... did you purchase the truck or rent it. My girlfriend moved from Des Moines to Tampa FL. She actually found that buying a used Uhaul box truck was more econmical for her in the long run. She ended up using the truck for storage until her house was built and then selling the truck and making a profit off of it!

Just a thought that you may want to consider! : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina