Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 06:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,326 times

Advertisements

hi i am planning on visiting the charlotte, hickory area next week from new jersey and would love info on great areas to live...i have a few teenage children and work in the special education field....i can afford housing prices up to $400 thou...thank you for any information....dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 08:56 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,352,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnG View Post
hi i am planning on visiting the charlotte, hickory area next week from new jersey and would love info on great areas to live...i have a few teenage children and work in the special education field....i can afford housing prices up to $400 thou...thank you for any information....dawn
Hi Dawn! There are two regular posters here who I know could give you much info. Send a private message to them each: hapaleeretired and QUINCY5121@NETZERO.NET

I like the Hickory area myself, in particular the little town of Taylorsville near it. Best of luck, have a safe trip!

Old 03-26-2007, 05:03 PM

3 posts, read 14,077 times
You may want to try Mooresville, its right outside of Charlotte & closer to Hickory.
BTW, lovesMountains ... I'm in T-ville too

Old 03-26-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtttandras View Post
You may want to try Mooresville, its right outside of Charlotte & closer to Hickory.

Lucky you Can't wait til I can one day live with a mountain view! Until then I just keep coming up your way for visits! Hope you don't mind me telling folks about your great little town?

Old 03-27-2007, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,266 times
also looking to relocate to lake norman area next spring...looking for the best of both worlds...quaint, picturesque town within reasonable distance from shopping, lake, affordable...with an acre or two. Husband is a real estate investor/carpenter needing access to home depot/lumber yards...I'm a school psychologist/teacher...looking for good school system...any suggestions...much appreciated!!!

Old 03-27-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paigeCT View Post
also looking to relocate to lake norman area next spring...looking for the best of both worlds...quaint, picturesque town within reasonable distance from shopping, lake, affordable...with an acre or two. Husband is a real estate investor/carpenter needing access to home depot/lumber yards...I'm a school psychologist/teacher...looking for good school system...any suggestions...much appreciated!!!
My suggestion to you would be to check out Iredell county, particularly the towns of Troutman and Mooresville, for what you seek I like Lake Norman high school, but I am sure there are other good ones. Good luck!

Old 03-27-2007, 03:25 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,069,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtttandras View Post
I dont think anyone else needs to move there (Mooresville), too many people already.

Old 03-27-2007, 05:34 PM

2 posts, read 4,106 times
Default Long Time Hickory resident

My wife and I moved away from Hickory a few years ago to Asheville. Hickory is a town that I grew up in and know very well. In fact, I owned a very successful business there and became very involved in the community. Hickory is frustrating in that it just can't seem to establish an identity. Recent news is always of umemployment, slow economy and core businesses moving elsewhere. We are much happier in a larger city that offers more diversity. The downside to areas just outside of Charlotte are the traffic and lack of personality that these cities offer such as Mooresville, Huntersville, Concord, etc. These cities are nothing more than commute hubs and traffic is horrible getting to and from any of them. I would recommend cities like Asheville, Winston Salem, Wilmington for NC. They are large enough to offer everything you need and also have a personality all their own.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:57 PM

57 posts, read 159,865 times
mooresville is not the place to go! much to much traffic wait untill the new stores on perth rd open up you are not going to be able to move on 150. look in denver,hickory area.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:37 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,069,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotablue View Post
My wife and I moved away from Hickory a few years ago to Asheville. Hickory is a town that I grew up in and know very well. In fact, I owned a very successful business there and became very involved in the community. Hickory is frustrating in that it just can't seem to establish an identity. Recent news is always of umemployment, slow economy and core businesses moving elsewhere. We are much happier in a larger city that offers more diversity. The downside to areas just outside of Charlotte are the traffic and lack of personality that these cities offer such as Mooresville, Huntersville, Concord, etc. These cities are nothing more than commute hubs and traffic is horrible getting to and from any of them. I would recommend cities like Asheville, Winston Salem, Wilmington for NC. They are large enough to offer everything you need and also have a personality all their own.

I agree about the identity part. The job loss is pretty much behind the city now though. Its still a big furniture city and fiber optic cable producing city.

Hickory is caught in the middle of fast growing areas. The Asheville area to the west, and Charlotte and Lake Norman to its south and east. Hickory has had trouble tapping into to all of this growth. Hickory is too far a commute from either city for daily commuters. There is a growing medical field in the Hickory area though.

The city has the roads and land available for growth. Growth is occuring, but it is steady paced. Reminds me of trying to start a fire. You have the flint stones and the wood, but you are lacking that spark to set the blaze. Maybe its a good thing.

On a different note, there is a carnival in Hickory this week at the Valley Hills Mall from Wednesday til Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina