U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 06:02 PM

779 posts, read 2,926,706 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know about the cities/areas which have the strongest multi-culural areas? I'm gonna go ahead and guess right out that there's no Chinatown per say, but are there areas which are more "world ethnic"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2006, 06:15 PM

336 posts, read 401,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeg4sushi
Does anyone know about the cities/areas which have the strongest multi-culural areas? I'm gonna go ahead and guess right out that there's no Chinatown per say, but are there areas which are more "world ethnic"?
Aren't "Chinatowns" within a city the opposite of "multi-cultural"? More like a single culture grouping themselves into a single area?

Old 06-27-2006, 06:35 PM

480 posts, read 2,111,397 times
There are people from around the world here, but there is no one neighborhood around whom a single world ethnicity or culture is dominant. Everyone is kind of spread out.

If this question is related to food, there are Asian and other ethnic markets here and there ... again, everything is spread out.

Old 06-30-2006, 08:09 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,036,293 times
I think it'll take a while for a notable Asian Pacific or Indian or North African community to take root. It'll happen in the decades to come, just not right now.

Old 06-30-2006, 08:29 AM

1,531 posts, read 6,834,046 times
Nothing like what you see in big cities, but at times you do seen trends of tons of related businesses and other facilities opening in similar areas. For instance many businesses, restaurants, and other establishments catering to folks from India seem to be concentrated in Southwest Raleigh and Northeastern Cary areas from what I've seen. Why? Probably a few started and others just followed.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:14 AM

53 posts, read 69,068 times
In Charlotte we have a Diversity Council of the Carolians and a International House, where you can meet almost every ethnic group. There are Hindu, and Buddhist churches. The Unitarian universalist church strives to be multicultural, and universities sponsor student ethnic associations.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:48 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,215,705 times
With our Military presence Fayetteville is pretty multi-ethnic. Just in our circle of friends we have Filipinos, White and Black Americans, Thais, Laotians, Dominicans, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Indonesians, Koreans, and probably a few more. We throw some great parties with awesome food! I'm white guy and my wife is Filipino and we attend a Korean Presbyterian Church in town.

We also have a excellent International Folk Festival each hear with food booths, ethnic dances and a parade or Nations. Last year the wife handmade over 1000 eggrolls rolls for our Filipino club to sell.

International Folk Festival | Fayetteville | North Carolina | Festivals NC

Old 07-31-2012, 08:58 AM

964 posts, read 2,039,982 times
In the Triangle, RTP and the Universities attract people from all over the world. The Triangle overall has a slightly larger, per capita, Latino population than the rest of NC, and a significantly higher (again, in percentages) Asian population, it seems especially Chinese and Indian. I know around UNC (I used to work in Southern Village) there are a lot of Japanese and Koreans, mostly university affiliated, and it seems the condos around Southern Village are something of a mini-enclave.

Morrisville - between Cary and RTP is, by percentage, the most Asian city between Washington DC and Houston, with Cary and Durham not very far behind.

This isn't really found in ethnic enclaves, but is more integrated throughout the Triangle, though there's something of a 'Little India' in Cary near the Galaxy theater (also owned by Indian entrepreneurs), and there is a big Latino concentration on the SW side of Carrboro, so those are the exceptions. There's also a small, but rather visible Burmese-exile (Karen, specifically) community in SW Carrboro. In both of those areas, there's a lot of ethnic-oriented entrepreneurship and mom-and-pop type businesses springing up, which tells me that this diversity is growing some solid roots and is very much here to stay, in businesses in particular. And it ranges from low income to upper class, and all points in between; from doctors and post-doc researchers to small businessmen and women, so it's turning into a broad kind of diversity.

To me it does make the Triangle more cosmopolitan!

Old 07-31-2012, 12:20 PM

116 posts, read 284,770 times
Raleigh and Charlotte are most diverse and Greensboro has a pretty large Vietnamese population. Raligh.Cary area has a huge amount of Asian restaurants and markets of all ethnicity and some pretty good larger multi cultural markets as well. Some of the best Pho I have had outside of Vietnam has been in raleigh. In all I would say that is the most diverse part of the state with Charlotte not far behind.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:33 PM

6,270 posts, read 9,992,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgpeacock View Post
Raleigh and Charlotte are most diverse and Greensboro has a pretty large Vietnamese population. Raligh.Cary area has a huge amount of Asian restaurants and markets of all ethnicity and some pretty good larger multi cultural markets as well. Some of the best Pho I have had outside of Vietnam has been in raleigh. In all I would say that is the most diverse part of the state with Charlotte not far behind.
Though this is a rather old thread, here are the 2010 numbers for Raleigh and Charlotte courtesy of the US Census.

Raleigh
Total population-----403,892
Non-Hispanic White---53.3%
Black----------------29.3%
Hispanic-------------11.4%
Asian----------------4.3%
Reporting biracial-----2.6%
Foreign born---------14.5%
Other languages-----17.7% (other than English)
Raleigh (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Charlotte
Total population-----731,424
Non-Hispanic White---45.1%
Black----------------35.0%
Hispanic-------------13.1%
Asian----------------5.0%
Reporting biracial-----2.7%
Foreign born---------14.6%
Other languages------18.8% (other than English)
Charlotte (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Though Cary is nearly 13% Asian, it's only 8 percent black and 7.7% Hispanic. This may seem like "diversity", but Cary's 69% Non-Hispanic white population is anything but diverse. I'd have to say that Durham is the most "diverse city" in NC. I placed "diverse city" in quotes because I'm only going by Durham's population of over 200,000 while totally ignoring the fact that Charlotte (slightly less diverse) has more than 3 times the population of Durham.

Here's why total population is a major factor when trying to measure diversity. Durham's 5.1% Asian population comes out to 11,645 Asians. Charlotte's 5.0% Asian population comes out to 36,571 Asians. Though the Triangle as a whole is generally thought of as being more diverse than Charlotte, there is only one Triangle county more diverse than Mecklenburg (Durham). Being that Meck county is more than 3 times Durham county's population, is Durham really "more diverse"? Some say yes; some of us question it. I tend to question it. No matter, IMO any thread about diversity in NC is basically a Durham vs Charlotte thread. Wake county's 62% non-Hispanic white population should end all consideration for that county when it comes to diversity. Yes, there may be some "pockets" of what seems to be diversity within Wake, but the county as a whole isn't even close to what Durham and Meck both bring to the table (again, totally ignoring the fact that Meck is more than 3 times Durham's population here).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina