Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did the U.S. Census rightly split the Triad and Triangle areas in to smaller MSAs?
U.S. Census should have split Triangle and Triad 12 35.29%
U.S. Census should not have split Triangle and Triad 22 64.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 01:39 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,305,658 times

Advertisements

I know I'm late ranting my frustration and disappointment about this. But has anyone else noticed that the U.S. Census has split up the Triangle and Triad areas into seperate metros. Triangle: Raleigh-Cary MSA and Durham MSA. Triad: Greensboro-High Point MSA, Winston-Salem MSA. Is this a fair reflection or did the U.S. Census royally screw N.C. especially considering places like Dallas-Fort Worth and Minneapolis-St. Paul are still lumped together?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 02:15 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,629 times
Yes Indeed. The new metro definitions have completely galvanized the Triangle area. The Triangle was only 7 counties, But the new definition for the Raleigh/Cary area is 3 counties. It's very misleading about this area. Especially considering the fact that if you added the original counties, it would somewhere around 1.7 million. Part of Raleigh is in Durham county for Christ's sake. The heaviest commuting takes place between Raleigh and Durham. On the same coin Charlotte has been awarded a 15 county CSA, that's borderline ridiculous. These new definitions fail to tell the whole story unfortunately.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:17 PM

444 posts, read 1,143,924 times
This is sad

Old 04-01-2009, 06:05 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,560,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Yes Indeed. The new metro definitions have completely galvanized the Triangle area. The Triangle was only 7 counties, But the new definition for the Raleigh/Cary area is 3 counties. It's very misleading about this area. Especially considering the fact that if you added the original counties, it would somewhere around 1.7 million. Part of Raleigh is in Durham county for Christ's sake. The heaviest commuting takes place between Raleigh and Durham. On the same coin Charlotte has been awarded a 15 county CSA, that's borderline ridiculous. These new definitions fail to tell the whole story unfortunately.
Couldn't agree more. How can they not count Raleigh and Durham in the same metro area? Like you said, there are parts of Raleigh now that are inside Durham County and pay Raleigh city taxes along with Durham county taxes. What metro area are those folks counted in? Spliting up Raleigh/Durham, but yet have Charlotte's CSA so huge is just stupid IMO.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:57 AM

I don't dosagree with the huge Charlotte CSA, Charlotte's influence in those areas is quite significant. But I am extremely upset that the Triangle and Triad areas are split. Is Burlington even considered in the Triad CSA? If not it should.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:48 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I don't dosagree with the huge Charlotte CSA, Charlotte's influence in those areas is quite significant. But I am extremely upset that the Triangle and Triad areas are split. Is Burlington even considered in the Triad CSA? If not it should.
Raleigh/Durham has a major influence as well. Under the old definition, The Triangle, Triad, and Charlotte metros were all the same size, roughly 3000+ sq miles. Charlotte's CSA is now over 15,000 sq miles. I highly doubt Raleigh only influences three counties.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Raleigh/Durham has a major influence as well. Under the old definition, The Triangle, Triad, and Charlotte metros were all the same size, roughly 3000+ sq miles. Charlotte's CSA is now over 15,000 sq miles. I highly doubt Raleigh only influences three counties.
I agree with you. That is why I am upset about the new definition. The RDU area could easily have influence in Vance county (that's Henderson and Kittrell if yall didn't know).

Old 04-01-2009, 06:41 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,005 times
Not sure what the moral of the story is...even if you take the MSA (smallest area) of Charlotte 1,897,034 and took the CSA (largest area) of Raleigh/Durham 1,635,974.....Charlotte still has 261,060 more people...that is about the size of Winston-Salem...quite a bit larger. Just food for thought!

Old 04-01-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Not sure what the moral of the story is...even if you take the MSA (smallest area) of Charlotte 1,897,034 and took the CSA (largest area) of Raleigh/Durham 1,635,974.....Charlotte still has 261,060 more people...that is about the size of Winston-Salem...quite a bit larger. Just food for thought!
I understand that. The purpose of this is should Raleigh and Durham have separate MSAs and should Winston-Salem and Greensboro have separate MSAs, or should they be one MSA each? I think they should and, to me, it doesn't make sense that U.S. Census Bureau broke the Triangle and Triad into separate MSAs each.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:52 PM

3,307 posts, read 8,560,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Where do you get your figures from? Even Charlotte's chamber of commerce shows your 2009 MSA population at 1,725,759 Charlotte Chamber (http://74.125.93.104/search?q=cache:Gq48TFW3nOUJ:www.charlottechamber.c om/index.php%3Fcategory%3DDemo_ecoProfile%26ref%3DPop ulationEstimates2008%26src%3Dgendocs%26submenu%3Dp opulation_estimates+charlotte+msa+square+miles&cd= 2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us - broken link), which is almost 200,000 less that what you have. Also Raleigh's CSA population (2009 Estimate) is 1,683,296, which is close to 60k more than you have Population Characteristics - Wake County Economic Development

While I don't have the square mile difference between Raleigh/Durham's CSA compared to Charlotte's MSA I gaurantee you it's not that big of a difference. Again Charlotte is bigger than Raleigh (especially when taking into account downtown skyscrapers), but it is not that big of a difference. I don't know why you can't admit that? Charlotte has double to square mileage of Raleigh which makes up for the population difference, even though Raleigh is more densely populated that Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina