Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 08:32 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times

Advertisements

nyxmike,

Thanks for the lighten up thing. I guess I am just a little disappointed at the way some ideas are going today. I probably just had too much coffee because I had trouble sleeping last night. We saw something really bad on Highway 16 last night and still don't know what happened. Most of the time I can take or leave or look over most things. I meant the "Pardon" as a joke. Sometimes you don't know with me whether I am serious or not. I apologize to anyone I offended. Ya'll have a good night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 09:49 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,795,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
I know I'm jumping in here without reading all the posts, but wanted to share my husband's opinion of Southern women....because of upbringing, values, slower life pace, and I'm sure many other factors, Southern women are, by far, more attractive, overall then anywhere else in the U.S. Please don't get mad at me, just my husband's opinion. Honestly though growing up in Northern NJ, I always had that belief too, that women from the South had some kind of charm and beauty that women up North didn't have...kind of like the Scarlett O'Hara type........

She looks just like my mama !

Old 09-03-2007, 12:39 AM

57 posts, read 425,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
Then maybe they should learn. Yes some people do speak respectfully to those around them. I think it is very disrespectful to call a woman a guy.

I have always been accustomed to hearing Mam and Sir.

A guy is a person of grotesque appearance.
The word originated with a man named "Guy" who tried to blow up the British Parliament. He was executed.
verb guy--to make fun of.

I have never liked the word even when it referred to men. I looked it up hoping to find I was wrong. My instincts were right.
Wow. You need to get out more.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:15 AM

39 posts, read 152,095 times
Default Not all Northern Women are....

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
North Carolina has no "guys," they are gentlemen. Guy is a very uncomplimentary term and should be removed from your vocabulary. I don't use the word, but I have noticed lately that when we go out to eat more and more waitresses will say, "What will you guys have." I have seriously thought about getting up from the table and leaving, when addressed that way. In North Carolina we are ladies and gentlemen.
I am from Michigan and although I do not think that it's proper for a waitress to address a table in that manner I have to say that in MI that is how we speak. Manners are VERY important to me but here 'you guys' is not considered bad manners. Although, I must agree it sounds terrible!!!!!
'Ya' guys' here would be comparable to 'ya'all'.

Regarding other posts:

I must also say that I smile all the time at everyone-it makes the world a better place! Nearly my entire wardrobe has been purchased from thrift stores and I always get compliments on the way I dress. I have never shown cleavage nor worn shorty shorts or skirts-well, at least not in public! My door is always open and I am pleased to fix a plate or two for company anytime. Although I'm sure i couldn't whip up anything comparable to you Southern ladies, I do my best. I was brought up, as stated in a post here, to treat company like family and family like company. I guess it just all depends on how you were raised and not where you were raised.

However, I'm not a fake. I will always do my best to be polite even when I don't care for someone but I will surely not pretend to like someone I don't care for and will be open to tell them 'nicely' why I don't if they want to know. That's probably that Northern directness!?!
I hope that I do find, when I move there,that men in the south have better manners than they do here!!! How refreshing that would be......When I finally get there I will be seeking out some refined southern women to teach me the ropes and to help me higher my standards on male behavior. Not that there aren't gentlemen here, they just seem far and few between.Okay, I've rambled on & on enough.........

Old 09-04-2007, 12:24 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
At least when I was younger and single, I noticed that the 18-25 year old women from up North were quite a bit chunkier than the Southern gals. I attributed it to being cooped up all winter.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:36 PM

4 posts, read 14,282 times
I see it's been awhile since there has been an update. But, it is nationally known that the women in New Hampshire look worse than anywhere in the south or anywhere else for that matter. If you are looking for an overweight slob who doesn't comb her hair and put on make up when she gets out of bed in the morning New Hampshire is the place to be. When God created New Hampshire it was because he needed someplace to stash the homely chicks. New Hampshire really needs to change their state slogan from "Live Free or Die" to "Welcome to the Scarecrow State".

Old 07-05-2009, 10:15 PM

880 posts, read 2,861,026 times
I take offense to your comments on women in NH lychanthrope. I am from NH and found the women there to be quite attractive. I have lived in GA for many years and find the women no different.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:12 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
how could the women of the south be more attractive than anywhere else when there is such a variety of women in the NE and the west coast of the united states??

you name it, NY has it. cali has a large asian and latino population as well...although the variety isn't as large as NY, its still larger than the south by far.

IMO:

women in the north dress better
9/10 are go getters that are doing something in life or on the way to doing something in life

women in the south don't dress as well, overall (generalization)
a lot are content with the simple life

one is not better than the other necessarily. i'm dating a girl from the south...i'll probably end up marrying her.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:49 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
What a discussion!

As a native North Carolinian - w/ family roots here back to the 18th C - and as a person who has relatives in NJ and PA . . . and who has lived in the midwest . . .

I assure you, Southern women ARE different. However, it all depends on what social strata you were raised in as to what those differences are - and how they will be expressed. Simple as that.

Additionally, just b/c someone's grandparents moved here and the family stayed - it doesn't mean they have really embraced Southern culture (or that Southern culture really embraced THEM) and therefore, they may have raised their daughters differently than old Southern families do.

So just cause a woman says she is from Greensboro or Charlotte or Raleigh . . . it doesn't mean she is all that Southern these days.

Same for the young men.

The Southern women you all are trying to find (and define) were raised to be as comfortable on the shooting range as the country club dance floor. Many of us are still raising our daughters that way.

Anyone who thinks Southern women are not into fashion just hasn't met the right Southern women. Studies show that here in the South, women spend more $$$ per capita on hair products, cosmetics and accessories than anywhere else in the USA.

But again . . . just b/c someone has an accent and was raised in NC . . . it doesn't mean her family raised her w/ the particular Southern traditions that have been the reason why many of the women here act, dress and express themselves differently f/ women who grew up elsewhere.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:46 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
spending money on hair products doesn't = looking better tho.
again, there is more of a variety of women in the north and there are better stores (this is not subjective. this is pretty much fact. you name it, the north has it -including a lot of stores you can also find in the south.).

fashion in the south is just...not really there (generalization).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina