U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2006, 09:02 PM

8 posts, read 19,819 times

Advertisements

I feel your pain. We are trying to sell our house in Jupiter, Florida (which is just north of West Palm Beach). It's a VERY SLUGGY market right now. I didn't see where you mentioned where you are at, but in So. Florida right now, it is just at a crawl. We are to close on our house we purchased in Charlotte in Sept. If I can't sell our house (we are using realtors) by Sept, we will have 2 mortgages to carry!

It seems that the prices are not really going down, but the market is saturated with homes for sale but not a lot of buyers. I think this is due to people just buying and "flipping" homes for a profit, and now there really are no people that want to buy and stay in them. Last year in my neighborhood 50 homes sold. This year so far, only 2 homes have sold. I would suggest using a realtor in this tough market. Get somebody really experienced. You will need all the help you can get.

This sounds really weird, but go buy a statue of Saint Joseph (he was a carpenter as well as Jesus' "stepdad" and bury it upside down , facing your door. Say a prayer every night to St. Joe. I know, I know. It does sound really weird, but people swear it works. I don't mean to offend anyone -- just look it up on the internet if you don't believe me! Even my Catholic realtor said he could get me one!!!!!

Good luck.
J.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2006, 10:23 PM

212 posts, read 822,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeffcott
I feel your pain. We are trying to sell our house in Jupiter, Florida (which is just north of West Palm Beach). It's a VERY SLUGGY market right now. I didn't see where you mentioned where you are at, but in So. Florida right now, it is just at a crawl. We are to close on our house we purchased in Charlotte in Sept. If I can't sell our house (we are using realtors) by Sept, we will have 2 mortgages to carry!

It seems that the prices are not really going down, but the market is saturated with homes for sale but not a lot of buyers. I think this is due to people just buying and "flipping" homes for a profit, and now there really are no people that want to buy and stay in them. Last year in my neighborhood 50 homes sold. This year so far, only 2 homes have sold. I would suggest using a realtor in this tough market. Get somebody really experienced. You will need all the help you can get.

This sounds really weird, but go buy a statue of Saint Joseph (he was a carpenter as well as Jesus' "stepdad" and bury it upside down , facing your door. Say a prayer every night to St. Joe. I know, I know. It does sound really weird, but people swear it works. I don't mean to offend anyone -- just look it up on the internet if you don't believe me! Even my Catholic realtor said he could get me one!!!!!

Good luck.
J.
Here it is..this came from my realtor-if you want the prayer that goes with this, let me know and I will PM it to you. Not sure if anyone would be upset with a prayer being posted here.

Procedure for burying a St. Joseph statue when selling a home:

Make a hole in the ground that is large enough to bury the St. Joseph statue (in protective wrap) vertically.
Place the statue upside down in the ground.
Face the upside down statue TOWARDS the home that is to be sold.
For nine consecutive days, pray the St. Joseph Novena included here.
Once the home is sold, remove the statue from the ground.
Display the statue in a place of honor in the new home.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:32 PM

1,735 posts, read 4,051,307 times
My sister had an issue with a buyer in Carmel, CA that I think people should be aware of. She was using a realtor so this could happen to anyone, at least anyone in CA . They had a buyer that made an offer that they accepted, so they went into escrow. The buyer looked real solid, everything checked out, job down payment, etc. A couple of days before closing the buyer wanted to know if they could move some of their things in before the actual close because they didn’t want to pay to store the items. The house was empty so it wouldn’t have been a problem, but my sister wasn’t sure what to do so she had the realtor do some checking. They found out that the buyer was pulling a scam and that as soon as they had their belongings in the house the buyer would stop the sale and the home owner would have to go to court to remove them from the house. The buyer apparently would be treated as a renter or something, and in CA the courts always side with the poor renter and it could take several months to evict them.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:43 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,465,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC
My sister had an issue with a buyer in Carmel, CA that I think people should be aware of. She was using a realtor so this could happen to anyone, at least anyone in CA . They had a buyer that made an offer that they accepted, so they went into escrow. The buyer looked real solid, everything checked out, job down payment, etc. A couple of days before closing the buyer wanted to know if they could move some of their things in before the actual close because they didn’t want to pay to store the items. The house was empty so it wouldn’t have been a problem, but my sister wasn’t sure what to do so she had the realtor do some checking. They found out that the buyer was pulling a scam and that as soon as they had their belongings in the house the buyer would stop the sale and the home owner would have to go to court to remove them from the house. The buyer apparently would be treated as a renter or something, and in CA the courts always side with the poor renter and it could take several months to evict them.
Six months if they have kids. But, if job and down payment checked out, why would someone like that do that? Meaning, someone with $40k + down payment usually doesn't pull something like that. Interesting.

That question gets asked a lot in the RE world. 99.9% it is denied for this reason.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley
Six months if they have kids. But, if job and down payment checked out, why would someone like that do that? Meaning, someone with $40k + down payment usually doesn't pull something like that. Interesting.

That question gets asked a lot in the RE world. 99.9% it is denied for this reason.
As I said it was in Carmel, CA. A $400k down payment would barely get you in the game, $40k wouldn’t get you past the initial screening. The money isn’t the issue since according to the scam they would be in the house before any money was exchanged. It's a free place to live. By doing this scam they would have a high class address to conduct their other illicit business or scams.

Old 07-13-2006, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC
As I said it was in Carmel, CA. A $400k down payment would barely get you in the game, $40k wouldn’t get you past the initial screening. The money isn’t the issue since according to the scam they would be in the house before any money was exchanged. It's a free place to live. By doing this scam they would have a high class address to conduct their other illicit business or scams.
Your previous post said it all checked out. What checked out then. My fault, when you say, "The buyer looked real solid, everything checked out, job down payment, etc. ", I assumed "all". I would look into whomever checked everything out and see where this went wrong.

FYI: I checked Realtor dot com and I found houses for $699k @ 10% gets you $69k. Geez, we got into our first house with ZERO down. Good credit gets you anything I guess.

Last edited by TornadoAlley; 07-13-2006 at 12:31 AM..

Old 07-13-2006, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Your previous post said it all checked out. What checked out then. My fault, when you say, "The buyer looked real solid, everything checked out, job down payment, etc. ", I assumed "all". I would look into whomever checked everything out and see where this went wrong.

FYI: I checked Realtor dot com and I found houses for $699k @ 10% gets you $69k. Geez, we got into our first house with ZERO down. Good credit gets you anything I guess.
The whole point of my post was to let people know that there are people that are trying to scam you. My example is one to look out for.

Of coarse the buyer will look good on paper. This isn’t hard to do and real easy if your intent is to COMMIT FRAUD.

I’m real impressed that you were able to find a house on realtor.com for $699k, but is that where MY SISTER LIVES!

Last edited by RedNC; 07-13-2006 at 09:22 AM..

Old 07-13-2006, 09:20 AM

483 posts, read 1,396,050 times
Quote:

What I don't understand is why would a potential buyer (no scam involved) even suggest putting their stuff in the home that they don't even own yet? That would only increase the risk that the seller would go thru their things or even something getting damaged. To me, that would just increase liability if something was to happen. But that's just my opinion.

Old 07-13-2006, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdj43
What I don't understand is why would a potential buyer (no scam involved) even suggest putting their stuff in the home that they don't even own yet? That would only increase the risk that the seller would go thru their things or even something getting damaged. To me, that would just increase liability if something was to happen. But that's just my opinion.
They don't. They usually will ask after it closes and funds are transfered. A lot tof times the contract is writen that the seller has +1 or +3 days after close to get out. Most buyers feel its their house since the funds are transfered and want to move in and the seller needs those extra days thus the reason they asked for them.

To get someone as stated above is rare if not impossible. Very hard to get a buyer without a prequal letter and in more cases a copy of a FICO score or even a preapproval letter. This is why agents will not take a buyer out without it. During the process as time goes on. The agent is involved with the lender. The lender will tell the agent if something is up. Trust me! If you think not, listen to a phone conversation. The lender tells the agent anything he/she wants to know regardless of laws. This also avoids something like this.

As the previous poster said, it what just to show what could happen. I know we all thought it really happen. Now, I guess it didn't. It was an example "My example is one to look out for"

Last edited by TornadoAlley; 07-13-2006 at 10:20 AM..

Old 07-13-2006, 11:18 AM

Quote:
As the previous poster said, it what just to show what could happen. I know we all thought it really happen. Now, I guess it didn't. It was an example "My example is one to look out for"
TornadoAlley you're a real piece of work. Not only do you slam what I said, you are now calling me a liar.

This did happen to my sister. A buyer did try to fraudulently get into her house, but it was stopped before they were successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or