U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 04:35 PM

170 posts, read 517,960 times

Advertisements

Hmmm.... I'll definitely have to think about that. I hate nosy neighbors! I was just thinking, if you use a realtor, and they have no luck, and you switch, are you off the hook with the first realtor? I was just wondering, I've seen a few people around here actually switch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2006, 04:44 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,650,900 times
You usually sign a contract giving them x amt of days...make sure YOU READ before you sign!!

Old 06-28-2006, 06:19 PM

85 posts, read 237,984 times
Default $4k sounds really low to me.

I agree with the other realtors when they said , that charging a flat fee of $4k sounds really low and would have to involve hidden costs, unless you're house is selling for hardly anything, $4k just doesn't sound right to me for ALL the closing costs! Were they just talking about the commission when they said $4k? There's a book out there called "House Selling for Dummies" that my husband bought a few years ago and he seemed to think it was pretty good. If anything (even if you go with a realtor) maybe this will help to inform you of the process.

Old 06-28-2006, 06:23 PM

85 posts, read 237,984 times
Yes, I agree that all of hte realtors we've interviewed have quoted a percentage not a flat price. Also, beware of open houses, I've heard that people will try to steal things at open houses (according to one of our realtors we talked with) so put away all your valuables.

Old 06-28-2006, 06:46 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,755,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linearity
Yes, I agree that all of hte realtors we've interviewed have quoted a percentage not a flat price. Also, beware of open houses, I've heard that people will try to steal things at open houses (according to one of our realtors we talked with) so put away all your valuables.
I've heard on average open houses aren't very effective. They simply are there to appease the anxious seller. The seller then feels that since a lot of people go through the house, that will generate leads and possible offers. Seems to be mostly a place for the realtor meet new clients for *other* prooperties.

Old 06-28-2006, 07:09 PM

14 posts, read 31,109 times
Open houses are mainly for realtors to meet new buyers. They are not effective at all, I'm a realtor and have never sold a house by doing an open house. There are realtors out there that will charge a low comission or a flat fee, but that stops other realtors from showing your home, they're gonna show the homes where they can paid. It would probably be good for you to use a realtor, but take your time and interview a few of them so you find one that your comfortable with. Also, a realtor will be able to do a market analysis for you, so you know if your house is priced right. That should be done for free!

Old 06-28-2006, 07:18 PM

14 posts, read 31,109 times
I forgot to tell ya, if you have a good reason to switch realtors, you can request to be let out of your contract.

Old 06-28-2006, 07:24 PM

170 posts, read 517,960 times
That makes a lot of sense regarding open houses. I'll keep all this in mind. And yes, the $4k fee was just their commission fee, not including closing costs. I will definitely do some research regarding realtors, heck, I might even have to get that book! Oops, there goes my phone, gee, wonder who that could be? Thanks again for all the help.

Old 06-28-2006, 07:28 PM

693 posts, read 2,546,669 times
Open houses are not very effective and too many of them can be detrimental. What can be really helpful is the broker's open house. That's when your agent have all his friends agents coming in for a lunch and they all get to know your property. Eventually one of those agents may have a buyer looking for something that matches your property and you have a potential sale right there. Be careful when selecting your broker. Discount fee brokers don't offer much $ to the buyer's broker so buyer's brokers give the lowest priority to houses sold by discount brokers and your house will sit.

Old 06-28-2006, 07:59 PM

12,009 posts, read 28,276,351 times
LOL...I'm sorry but you guys crack me up. Yes, I AM a Realtor but I'm not a "dirty" Realtor. I'm still trying to figure that one out. Lets see if I can make this simple.

1. Go with a full service agent that will charge you what is customary for your area. In Raleigh, its 6% but I charge 5% if you are a previous client or are buying another home from me. I also give my sellers a break by charging even less if I have both sides of the transaction, even though it IS more work for ME. Full service means it goes into MLS, the advertising is paid for by the Realtor, all the flyers and tv, etc. is paid for. Discount brokers do not always put it in MLS and they don't negotiate for you. So, ASK QUESTIONS.

2. The reason agents call when you are FSBO is that stats show FSBOs can't do the work involved, don't know the laws and are concerned about being sued, so within 30 days...they list. Its usually the NEW agents that call. The rest of us prefer to get us business through word of mouth and our own advertising.

3. Realtors can get your home sold faster since we DO have access to the people coming from out of town as well as the other agents in our office that we market to. Without an agent, do you know what repairs you are responsbile for? Do you know the law? Do you know that if you misrepresent something, you can be sued? I have insurance for that but thank goodness, I know the laws, abide by them and have never been sued. My out of town clients won't buy FSBO. Who is going to lead them through the maze of paperwork and legal jargon?

4. The best way to get a reputable agent is through word of mouth. Call friends and relatives. Ask who sold their home. Meet with the agent. Feel comfortable with the agent. Ask more questions. Each month you have your home listed, you make another house payment...how much will it continue to cost you?

Ok...getting off my soapbox again...

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina