U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 09:24 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,982,959 times

Advertisements

It is not necessary to bury the statue of St. Joseph, simply ask for him to pray
for you that your house sells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 01:41 PM

758 posts, read 2,085,092 times
Unhappy Please help if you can (sigh)

We have struggled (for five months!) to sell a tough house in an even tougher San Diego market. We have felt frustrated and sad because we're eager to move on. We're not getting younger, and for the first time in our lives we feel helpless and out of control. Our two-story 2600 sq. ft. house is staged, beautiful, immaculate, and has breathtaking city/harbor views—the best on the market today in this price range. Unfortunately our property also has challenging staircases—a steep driveway and FORTY STEPS up to the second floor where most of the living happens. Every single thing that comes in or out of this house, including groceries and trash, involves a staircase or two. It has kept us fit for 37 years, but in the current market people are either too young to have the money to buy it or too old or unfit to want to handle the staircases. We’re looking for that one fit couple, say, in their forties, with no more than one child (who should be over the age of five), with lots of money. Wow. Hey--why not specify they also be under 5'8" and have fiery red hair. Oh well, at least we haven't lost our sense of humor yet... quite.

The homes that are selling around here are priced either much lower or much higher than ours. We recently slashed our price for the third time--we don't much care--but if we reduce it any more they’ll start asking, "What's wrong with it?" We recently increased the buying agent's commission to 3.5% and the selling agent’s to 2.5%. (Going rate is 5% for high-end homes.) We have a fine realtor who is also a longtime caring friend who has worked very hard for us!--MLS, two well-attended realtor caravans, several open houses, ads all over the Web. Now she's advertising on a boating website. Gosh, maybe we should advertise in "fitness" websites--LOL. We hope not to have to rent out our lovely home as a vacation destination. But our house in Weaverville will be ready to move into sometime between December and February. We were hoping to watch it being built this August, but haven't had a single offer here in five months. Everyone raves, nobody offers. It's truly scary!

Except for the 2003 kitchen, it’s been 20 years since our last update, but we understand that cosmetic changes like new paint and carpet won’t make the difference in our case. Our problem is those blasted staircases —and those we can’t change. (Installing an elevator would involve major demolition.)

Thank you for your time--I know this is a long post. Any ideas or encouragement would be welcome. I know some of you have been on the market much longer than we have, and we want you to know we feel your pain. If nothing else, maybe this post will brighten the day for those of you who have an easier house to unload! AHHHH ha ha ha ha ha ha........

Jan & Bill

Old 06-20-2007, 02:16 PM

485 posts, read 410,659 times
We are just getting ready to sell our home - probably in the Fall.

Our house is just 15 years old and we are the sole owners (we had it built after we designed it). It is built to the minimum CC&Rs for this neighborhood. It is surrounded by home worth more than twice as much (with a few others of our value and up). There is an elementary school nearby. We have 25 trees, including 7 citrus trees on our lot. We were sure we could get a good price for the house...

And then the bottom dropped out of the market. A local RE Agent just sent me a bunch of what he called "comps" to our home that would value it less than the tax assessment value! I was shocked and dismayed. On top of that, he said it would take 90-180 days or more to sell in this over-built market.

Things have changed in the last 12-18 months, that is for sure. Back then, houses were selling faster than they could be listed. Like always, we missed the good times - always a day late and a dollar short.

I'm not going to use the Agent who gave us the poor information, but neither am I going to have high expectations. It will certainly impact our ability to move if our equity is reduced as much as it appears it may be.

So to the OP, yes - I believe we may have trouble selling our home. At least for as much as we need to get from it.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:23 PM

55 posts, read 144,391 times
For the Parkies - I truly appreciated your post! It does help knowing other people have similar struggles.

However, I have to admit we are the converse regarding housing markets. I live in one of the most stable (let me rephrase that: cheapest) housing markets in the country, so I can't relate to the price points. Upper class homes here go for the price of starter homes in SD. No joke. Still, houses move when they "want to", as opposed to the ebb and flow of the market, making it tricky to plan for a future move.

Sounds like your selling point should be the view - that is huge in SD, as things are so cramped.

Wish I had some advice to impart. Probably the best is have faith and patience. Best wishes.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:30 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Parkies View Post
We have struggled (for five months!) to sell a tough house in an even tougher San Diego market. We have felt frustrated and sad because we're eager to move on. We're not getting younger, and for the first time in our lives we feel helpless and out of control. Our two-story 2600 sq. ft. house is staged, beautiful, immaculate, and has breathtaking city/harbor views—the best on the market today in this price range. Unfortunately our property also has challenging staircases—a steep driveway and FORTY STEPS up to the second floor where most of the living happens. Every single thing that comes in or out of this house, including groceries and trash, involves a staircase or two. It has kept us fit for 37 years, but in the current market people are either too young to have the money to buy it or too old or unfit to want to handle the staircases. We’re looking for that one fit couple, say, in their forties, with no more than one child (who should be over the age of five), with lots of money. Wow. Hey--why not specify they also be under 5'8" and have fiery red hair. Oh well, at least we haven't lost our sense of humor yet... quite.

The homes that are selling around here are priced either much lower or much higher than ours. We recently slashed our price for the third time--we don't much care--but if we reduce it any more they’ll start asking, "What's wrong with it?" We recently increased the buying agent's commission to 3.5% and the selling agent’s to 2.5%. (Going rate is 5% for high-end homes.) We have a fine realtor who is also a longtime caring friend who has worked very hard for us!--MLS, two well-attended realtor caravans, several open houses, ads all over the Web. Now she's advertising on a boating website. Gosh, maybe we should advertise in "fitness" websites--LOL. We hope not to have to rent out our lovely home as a vacation destination. But our house in Weaverville will be ready to move into sometime between December and February. We were hoping to watch it being built this August, but haven't had a single offer here in five months. Everyone raves, nobody offers. It's truly scary!

Except for the 2003 kitchen, it’s been 20 years since our last update, but we understand that cosmetic changes like new paint and carpet won’t make the difference in our case. Our problem is those blasted staircases —and those we can’t change. (Installing an elevator would involve major demolition.)

Thank you for your time--I know this is a long post. Any ideas or encouragement would be welcome. I know some of you have been on the market much longer than we have, and we want you to know we feel your pain. If nothing else, maybe this post will brighten the day for those of you who have an easier house to unload! AHHHH ha ha ha ha ha ha........

Jan & Bill
Hey, cheer up! You bought it, didn't you? There will be someone else who will love it, and the reduced price, and buy it too Have faith that when it is meant to sell, it will sell.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:34 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father John View Post
We are just getting ready to sell our home - probably in the Fall.

Our house is just 15 years old and we are the sole owners (we had it built after we designed it). It is built to the minimum CC&Rs for this neighborhood. It is surrounded by home worth more than twice as much (with a few others of our value and up). There is an elementary school nearby. We have 25 trees, including 7 citrus trees on our lot. We were sure we could get a good price for the house...

And then the bottom dropped out of the market. A local RE Agent just sent me a bunch of what he called "comps" to our home that would value it less than the tax assessment value! I was shocked and dismayed. On top of that, he said it would take 90-180 days or more to sell in this over-built market.

Things have changed in the last 12-18 months, that is for sure. Back then, houses were selling faster than they could be listed. Like always, we missed the good times - always a day late and a dollar short.

I'm not going to use the Agent who gave us the poor information, but neither am I going to have high expectations. It will certainly impact our ability to move if our equity is reduced as much as it appears it may be.

So to the OP, yes - I believe we may have trouble selling our home. At least for as much as we need to get from it.
Surely in 15 years you've seen a nice amount of appreciation, even if you won't make on it what the over-inflated market would have given you last year?

I think the great thing is that you are a lower priced home in an area of higher priced ones, plus your lot sounds lovely. Try not to panic until you talk to a few more realtors

Old 06-20-2007, 06:59 PM

Thanks, Back2NC and LovesMountains. You're right. We need to cheer up and get busy with all those photo albums hanging around in boxes! LOL

Old 06-20-2007, 07:39 PM

29,740 posts, read 34,764,641 times
after months we buried the statue and sold.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:01 AM

Congratulations, TuborgP!! We're happy for you!

So which way did you face St. Joe?--facing the street or the house? Did you have the statue blessed? Pray the novena? (This subject intrigues me!)

It must feel wonderful to have your life back..... !

Old 06-21-2007, 12:13 AM

911 posts, read 3,245,108 times
Smile Don't go Cheap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2boys View Post
That's great advice! I had three realtors call me this morning, the first one said he'll charge a flat fee of $4k. The next one said don't do it, he'll have hidden fees. Go with her, she'll just charge $5500 and alternate MLS on the computer, and newspaper. The third said, don't go with her, sounds bad alternating. He'll just charge 9k over our price. Oh my gosh, I should have taken a realtor's class. This is so new to me!
Hi Mom;
If your trying to sell in a slow market, you need a realtor more than ever(I am a seller).
I paid my realtor 6% and offered $3k bonus to selling agent...
It seems to be working for me. It's better than letting your home sit.
Best of luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina