U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-01-2006, 09:26 PM
 
483 posts, read 1,403,687 times
Reputation: 178

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WenIs02
Beware with open houses - a lot of noisy neighbors come calling.
Yep, that happened to me. My first open house I was not home but my agent said that some of my neighbors came over. I hate that because all they wanted to do was to see what my house looked like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-01-2006, 09:28 PM
 
483 posts, read 1,403,687 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
I would definitely invest in some cheap hidden cameras for an open house.
I had the same idea but my husband was too nervous that someone would see them. I wish I had though. Would have been curious to hear what they had to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2006, 09:33 PM
 
483 posts, read 1,403,687 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by WenIs02
Beware with open houses - a lot of noisy neighbors come calling.
Speaking of nosy, I forgot to mention something. Every time I had a phone call to show my house, I would run home from work and make sure that our cats were put away until the potential buyers were done looking at my house. Well, I had one showing that turned out to be a woman that had her house on the market about a mile down from me but she had her house priced $40k higher than mine. She was definitely over priced considering that our houses were very comparable. Well, needless to say, her listing agent brought her to my house to show her what she was competing with and to try and convince her to lower her price. Well, we had an offer on our home that we accepted and several days later, this other house dropped her price by $30k. I was more angry at the fact that they wasted my time coming from work to let them see the house and I didn't realize who she was until I drove past her house that same day and saw her and the vehicle that she had when she came to my house. Guess I had the last laugh because I sold my house first. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2006, 09:36 PM
 
483 posts, read 1,403,687 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by linearity
Yes, I agree that all of hte realtors we've interviewed have quoted a percentage not a flat price. Also, beware of open houses, I've heard that people will try to steal things at open houses (according to one of our realtors we talked with) so put away all your valuables.
That's true. My agent advised us to store all valueables away, even the little fragile items or figurines that are sentimental to you. I even hid my bills and checkbook. Best place is either in the trunk of your car (unless you are planning to drive around and are nervous to leave that in the trunk), or somewhere where it would be hard to reach in the garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2006, 10:02 PM
 
22 posts, read 63,378 times
Reputation: 11
Hi momof2boys,
Sorry you are having such a hard time with the house, but please keep in mind that right now it really is a "buyers market" out there. My hubby is a RE Agent and out here even the new builders are making lists of potential buyers. Most homes here are taking at least 7 months to sell so my hubby is not taking any additional listings if the sellers are in a hurry. He is just telling them how long it can take. It really is hard now..a month or 2 is not that long...especially for a FSBO. Keep in mind the realtors have MLS and all kinds of contacts. They advertise, hold open houses, network with other realtors. If you do use a realtor get a national one...like a Coldwell Banker, ReMax etc. They usually have contacts for people who are relocating to your area. These national ones all work together so tjat might help. Good luck.
Watch out for the ones who make promise. Get everything in writing. My hubby said a decent agent will not hesitate to put his terms in a contract for you. If he won't then walk away from him (or her).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2006, 10:50 PM
 
693 posts, read 2,473,260 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdj43
Yep, that happened to me. My first open house I was not home but my agent said that some of my neighbors came over. I hate that because all they wanted to do was to see what my house looked like.
I had no problems with my nosy neighbors coming to see my home (and boy they did show up!) because after the changes for the staging the home didn't look anything like it was before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2006, 11:43 PM
 
170 posts, read 502,626 times
Reputation: 67
Thank you all for your responses! They are so, so helpful. I read them nightly to hubby, as we sit here trying to figure what to do. Now we're in July, ugh!! We're taking flyers and posting them in the post office, local mini-mart, etc., as well as our signs on the roads, and in the local paper. I don't know, I guess it will depend how long we should hold out. Boy, those realtors are calling! They confuse me more by the phone call! You guys are awesome, at least I know I'm getting truth. Thanks again!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2006, 01:43 AM
 
1,126 posts, read 3,482,252 times
Reputation: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR
Sorry Tornadoalley but I disagree with you. The seller is responsible for paying the Real Estate Agent's commission. In the long run, yes, probably the buyer does pay a portion of it in the price of the home, but most FSBOs want their cake and eat it too. They don't want to pay a Realtor but they want to list their home at what it will sell for. I doubt they will give any extra discount to the buyer. So if you are assuming that the price of the commission is in the price of the home, thats probably true. But again, FSBOs aren't going to lower their home 6% so who gets the extra???
Yes. The seller does pay "on paper". That's the only way to collect right? Can you imagine getting money from the buyer? But as you stated after, the 6% is in the price of the home. No doubt. That means the buyer pays it. I am actually surprised your RE teacher never taught you that?

Who gets the 6% on a FSBO? The seller not the Realtor. Ask a seller if its a good idea He keeps more money?

Having your cake and eating it too isn't bad is it? If your a Realtor watching 3% (or 1.5% depending on your agreement with your Broker) going away, maybe.

I understand where your coming from. I really do and I am in no way saying anything bad about your job. Really. Just IMHO correcting you is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2006, 04:16 AM
 
Location: Summerville, SC
33 posts, read 223,825 times
Reputation: 41
Cool Definitely a Buyer's Market

We just sold our home in Stafford, VA in less than six weeks, however we ended up coming down on our initial asking price about $60k. Our desire to move and get started in South Carolina was stronger than "holding out" for a higher price.

A couple of things we had to realize. First, our home is 20 yrs old. Although we completely redid the bathrooms (beautiful tile work), all new carpet, new appliances, all new windows, etc., we were competing with literally 600+ homes in our area many of those being newer ones. My sister, who is also my agent, had this mantra that drove me crazy.... "The market will set the price." We couldn't get showings at the first level of pricing we had, because it was just priced too high. Once we lowered the price we started to get showings, but then other issues came up for buyers, i.e., we don't have a basement. Also, we never held an open house.

The buyers out there are taking their time because there is SO much on the market to see. They also feel emboldened because the market has truly turned from a sellers market to a buyers market. Many, many contracts are having the seller pay closing costs any where from $3k - $10k. At least that is what is occuring here in the Fredericksburg/Stafford, VA areas.

My sister works for a broker and we had to pay the 4.5% commission although she is giving us back her part which is .5. I think I have that right. If you price your home right, it will get you showings and hopefully a quick sale! I know it is such an emotional thing and a real pain in the butt to constantly keep the house picked-up especially when you have young ones. I hope you sell quickly and good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2006, 06:23 AM
 
693 posts, read 2,473,260 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2boys
Thank you all for your responses! They are so, so helpful. I read them nightly to hubby, as we sit here trying to figure what to do. Now we're in July, ugh!! We're taking flyers and posting them in the post office, local mini-mart, etc., as well as our signs on the roads, and in the local paper. I don't know, I guess it will depend how long we should hold out. Boy, those realtors are calling! They confuse me more by the phone call! You guys are awesome, at least I know I'm getting truth. Thanks again!!
I don't know if you considered this (thread too long to go back and re-read) but could you rent a small place for you and your 2boys so they can get started with school and hubby stays there until the house is sold? Rent can be really inexpensive if you look in the right places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top