Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 06:28 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve54 View Post
It would be nice if it were that simple. Say (especially in this economy) your employer allowed smoking everywhere would you stay or would you risk not being able to find another job and, maybe, not support your family. This question is about the greater good - no one (except maybe smokers) wants to be in a smokey atmosphere and be smelling of stale smoke. The threat to health is too great .
Smoking is a bad habit that directly affects others unlike poor diet or alcohol abuse. I've worked in offices when you couldn't see the other side of the room for smoke - did I have the option of leaving -well I guess so but it was my job, my career then and I'd like to think that we are a little more forward thinking nowadays. Look at other major countries that have embraced the no smoking policy - if they can do it then so can we
While I agree with you mostly, I would take out the part that says "look at other major countries". Other major countries have taken away many personal rights that we hold dear here in the U.S.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:39 AM

460 posts, read 1,273,829 times
Its not like a good economy would change your mind...you still wouldn't think its about choice.

Alcohol abuse doesn't affect others directly? M.A.D.D. would beg to differ. Lots of people don't drink and don't like being around obnoxious drunk people who then get in their cars and end up killing innocent people. Can I have it outlawed in ALL restaurants/bars? ....and like someone else said...."what's next?"

Some restaurants don't allow children. Some do. That decision is up to the owner/establishment.

My comments were more geared towards the restaurant/bar types of situations where I think again...the owner should have the right to decide. Then they and their biz can live/die by their own decision.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:06 AM

621 posts, read 2,217,901 times
Smokers are fighting a losing battle, all states will eventually adopt this law. If not this year, it will be really soon. Just accept it. Lived in 2 different states that have adopted this law, I've seen and heard ALL of the 'choice, private, etc' arguments---none of them will hold up.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:27 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grawburg View Post
HAHAHHHA!!!! Work someplace else. They have no obligation to work there.
To me that is exactly the same thing as saying I will chain my fire exits because I want to and if an employee has a problem with it go somewhere
else... I will sexual harrass my employees....work somewhere else if you don't like it. Worker safety laws are not new. Cigarette smoke is a
heath risk to employees. It really is that simple.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:35 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,464,599 times
It's amazing to me that smokers want the right to smoke in restaurants, but when I've worked in offices that had a designated smoking area, they didn't want to smoke there. Why? Because they didn't want to smell like smoke! So if a smoker doesn't want to reek of smoke, why should I have to smell it when I'm eating? I moved here from a state that banned smoking in restaurants in 2005 and the same arguments were posed by restaurant owners. After the ban was placed, there was an increase in business, which surprised the restaurant owners. When I moved, they were in the process of expanding the smoking ban, but I'm unclear on what that ban entailed. All I know is it was a real shock to go into a restaurant here and find out there is still smoking allowed. I eat at home now, because I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke and whether they want to admit it or not, that hurts the restaurants. I say if changing may bring more revenue in these tough economic times (some people are still going to eat out no matter what) the restaurants should welcome it. I know when I go out to eat for my once-a-month meal, I may open it up to more restaurants if I know smoking is not allowed.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:40 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
YES!!!! I hope restaurants follow through. It says the fine is only $50, big deal. As far as that Cole guy goes, he was agruing that they should limit fatty foods. Ya know, it's up to you whether or not you want to eat that food, but you can't chose not to breathe in the smoke if it's in the same establishment as you are. Anyhow, what's wrong with going outside if you want to smoke? The weather is pretty mild in NC, so I really don't find it to be a big deal! I hope this works out, I'm so glad the bill passed!

Old 04-02-2009, 08:24 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Well if nothing else, those that are such rabid smokers will silence themselves early by dying earlier. They are taking themselves out by droves in their late 50's and early 60's. Three friends, neighbors, all between 59 and 62 died of smoking related issues in the last 30 days or so.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:46 AM

584 posts, read 2,422,692 times
Quote:
To me that is exactly the same thing as saying I will chain my fire exits because I want to and if an employee has a problem with it go somewhere
else... I will sexual harrass my employees....work somewhere else if you don't like it. Worker safety laws are not new. Cigarette smoke is a
heath risk to employees. It really is that simple.
Apples and oranges. Sexual harassment and locked fire doors are illegal all around. Smoking is not illegal. If it's so bad, outlaw tobacco in this country. But no one will do that because tobacco's pockets are too deep and provide too much money for government to tax or to sue to use for projects. This is not a public safety issue, it's a right issue. Smoking is legal.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:49 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grawburg View Post
Sexual harassment and locked fire doors are illegal all around.
They weren't illegal until laws got passed to protect the employees.
Second hand smoke probably kills more people than fires.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:09 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Default Update

The final House vote (3rd reading) on the Bill passed today. The vote was 72 for passage and 45 against.

The NC Senate gets it now.

The Bill is not law until passed by the Senate, ratified, and, if required, signed by the Governor.

Last edited by mm34b; 04-02-2009 at 01:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina