U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 09:59 PM

7 posts, read 172,375 times
Default Where is the snow!?

We moved to North Carolina from California almost two years ago now. We are in Irdell County. Prior to moving here we asked everyone, everwhere we went, "Does it snow here?" We were told by everyone that it does indeed. "The whole town shuts down." So, we waited. And waited. No snow! Why lie?
Now we are looking to relocate-again. This is what we are searching for:
Near a larger city, preferablly one with live theater, not to be mistaken with community theather. SNOW! Nice community. SNOW! To be near a larger city. SNOW! Some activiies that we enjoy are:Bowling, SNOW, Skateboarding, SNOW, Hiking, SNOW, Watersports, SNOW, Bikeriding (does anyone in the south do that? Haven't seen many sidewalks muchless bikeriders.) SNOW! Painting...did I mention we would REALLY like to be were it SNOWS?
I do not want to peeve anyone, but is there a suburb around where the men and women don't put on a bunch of air? Maybe it is the place I am in, but what a bunch of gossiping, backstabbing, uppity little things! Then on Sunday they are off to church. I know of FIVE families that have left for this very reason.
No need to mention the schools to me-I have seen the scores for NC and have seen them in action. I went with homeschooling.
So, where is the snow next to a larger city with plenty to do, shopping, skateboarding, sidewalks (lol), down to earth, shoot from the hip kinda folks, with the culture I so miss?! A five star restaurant is also desired. Is there any true fine dining in North Carolina?...where it....SNOWS? lol Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 10:28 PM

5,660 posts, read 17,941,434 times
It does snow, but it's been way below normal for the last few years even in the mountains. The National Weather Service is reporting the following snow totals at their local airport monitoring stations for the 2006-2007 winter season:

Asheville - 1.9"
Raleigh-Durham - 1.6"
Elizabeth City - 1.5"
Charlotte - 1.0"
Greensboro - 0.8"
Wilmington - 0.0"

Normals

ASHEVILLE - 15.2"
CAPE HATTERAS - 1.9"
CHARLOTTE - 5.5"
GREENSBORO-WNSTN-SALM-HGHPT - 9.1"
RALEIGH - 7.5"
WILMINGTON - 2.0"
http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/.../snowfall.html

GREATEST 24-HOUR SNOWFALL
36 inches Mount Mitchell, Yancey County March 13, 1993

GREATEST SINGLE STORM SNOWFALL
60 inches Newfound Gap, Swain County, Great Smoky Mountains National Park (unofficial) April 2-6, 1987
50 inches Mount Mitchell, Yancey County March 12-14, 1993
http://www.nc-climate.ncsu.edu/climate/extremes.html

Last edited by mm34b; 03-27-2007 at 10:59 PM..

Old 03-27-2007, 10:58 PM

3,124 posts, read 8,793,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
We moved to North Carolina from California almost two years ago now. We are in Irdell County. Prior to moving here we asked everyone, everwhere we went, "Does it snow here?" We were told by everyone that it does indeed. "The whole town shuts down." So, we waited. And waited. No snow! Why lie?
Now we are looking to relocate-again. This is what we are searching for:
Near a larger city, preferablly one with live theater, not to be mistaken with community theather. SNOW! Nice community. SNOW! To be near a larger city. SNOW! Some activiies that we enjoy are:Bowling, SNOW, Skateboarding, SNOW, Hiking, SNOW, Watersports, SNOW, Bikeriding (does anyone in the south do that? Haven't seen many sidewalks muchless bikeriders.) SNOW! Painting...did I mention we would REALLY like to be were it SNOWS?
I do not want to peeve anyone, but is there a suburb around where the men and women don't put on a bunch of air? Maybe it is the place I am in, but what a bunch of gossiping, backstabbing, uppity little things! Then on Sunday they are off to church. I know of FIVE families that have left for this very reason.
No need to mention the schools to me-I have seen the scores for NC and have seen them in action. I went with homeschooling.
So, where is the snow next to a larger city with plenty to do, shopping, skateboarding, sidewalks (lol), down to earth, shoot from the hip kinda folks, with the culture I so miss?! A five star restaurant is also desired. Is there any true fine dining in North Carolina?...where it....SNOWS? lol Thanks
It does snow...it's just been a few years of very mild winters....no one lied to you about that.

...looks like you didn't really research the area you were moving into if you want culture and 5 star dining around Statesville. I hesitate to suggust anything else though.....sounds like you've already made up your mind to dislike NC.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:24 AM
Status: " Love is Freedom, Love is Equal, Love Conquers Hate" (set 6 days ago)

21,912 posts, read 38,797,534 times
I find this thread hilarious!!

Moving to a location base on someone telling them something without doing research is hilarious!

Im going on vacation in may to the outer banks but I have the statistics provided by NOAA on what the average temperature will be, What the average water temperature will be for the ocean and sound, and the average amount of rainfall.

It doesnt guarnateen if any of the above will be more or less of any but I can have a general idea what to expect.

And what the person said is true yes we do have snow and things shut down but that is because HELLO we dont get it often this isnt a known snow state.
Statesville received 12 inches of snow in 2004. Information I just pulled up something a person that is moving to a location base on snow would have researched. http://cirrus.dnr.state.sc.us/cgi-bin/sercc/cliMONtsnf.pl?nc8292 (broken link)

Also this was a el nino year another great thing to research if your moving base on weather to look up on it effects of a area.
For instance during a el nino year it a mild season for hurricanes. we had 0 landfall this past season. The weather is colder and low precipitation in this area. Enjoy going back to the land where a another big earthquake is over due to happen within next 5 years base on the earth cycle, wildfires will be rampant for this summer due to no wet rain season this past winter. And the homes triple the price here with less sq footage.

Another good thing is calling or emailing meterologists of news and radio stations on snow probability. They would have inform you that this area is on the outskirts of the foothills and less likely to get heavy snowfall unless it a nor easter due to any front coming from the west loose there punch by the time they get over the mountains.
thanks

Old 03-28-2007, 05:28 AM

2,658 posts, read 4,882,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
It does snow...it's just been a few years of very mild winters....no one lied to you about that.

...looks like you didn't really research the area you were moving into if you want culture and 5 star dining around Statesville. I hesitate to suggust anything else though.....sounds like you've already made up your mind to dislike NC.
Well, a Hooters has recently been opened in Statesville. I hear that place is well attended

And the OP is whining about snow? We live some 20 miles east of Statesville. This picture was taken February 27, 2004. Those are three of our dogs standing in the middle of the road, buried up to their bellies in 10" of the white stuff.

Mind, that is an event that had everyone out taking pictures and enjoying. So much snow is sort of a rare event. It also shut down the whole area as far as schools, stores ....

Old 03-28-2007, 07:02 AM

50 posts, read 188,999 times
It has been a mild winter with very few snow storms but that isn't the case every year. If your looking for snow why not head up to the NC ski resorts it would only be about an hour drive. App mtn has plenty of snow even after a week of 70 degree weather. Melt down games are this weekend

Old 03-28-2007, 07:20 AM

212 posts, read 735,994 times
I'm sorry, I don't have time to post much today, I am very busy gossipping about and backstabbing my neighbors, especially the one's who will burn in eternal hell for not going to church 3 days a week.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:33 AM

8,018 posts, read 8,030,959 times
Sounds like this person would be happier in Asheville. I lived 18 years at 4,000 feet, about 90 miles SW of Asheville. Lots of snow , very cold spikes in temp. sometimes 20 below ! Not uncommon for 30" snow overnite , depending on the temp, ether lots of snow , or the dreaded ice stuff. Yes , everything shut down, sometimes that was aggravating , but , the locals were very independent, and went with the flow. Great food ( resort area), lots to do. theater, etc. Expensive living costs. ( Ca. people would like that )...all in all, not like the rest of NC in any way .

Old 03-28-2007, 08:00 AM

1,860 posts, read 3,242,212 times
Gee...I had a house in NY you could have had....real cheap!!! Snow....there's about 12" of it right now melting around it with the last snow fall they had last week. Last year, the day we left to come to NC for a house appt., we had 24" of snow that day. HMMmmmm.....Broadway is a 90 min ride away on the Metronorth train...5 star dining all over NY.

I think you're looking in the wrong state if it's ALOT of snow that you want.

BxRosie

Old 03-28-2007, 08:30 AM

7 posts, read 172,375 times
The people we asked when we came here-prior to moving here we stayed for two weeks, most lived here their entire lives. Good enough for us. But we did research. That is about all that I am going to comment on the rude post left, which btw is EXACTLY what I was talking about.
I have been reading about Asheville and planned to take a look around this week. And to the last post, I have also been visting some of New Yorks websites.
The first winter here there was an icestrorm that took my breath away. It was so beautiful. When the snow did not come I started asking again.
I will look at the links left by some of you. Thanks.
My first post. I am frustrated. Thus far it hasn't been the greatest experience. We wanted to get away from liberal California. When visiting here everyone was so kind. When we moved to this plantation everyone was smiling in peoples faces then talking about them when they would leave. I always walked away when they would do this. Now I just keep to myself in this neighborhood. The people who have lived here for years tell me it is people from out of state - they have experienced and witnessed the same. And yes, many of these same people who are hurting others with gossip go to church every Sunday. Real encouraging for any non believers.
Back home never did I ever experience that. Where you would think you would find it in California, I instead found it here. So, yes fed up with it, just like the other families that left this plantation due to this behavior.

If I do decide to go to NY to look around ( I have only driven from the airport to the bus stop on my way to Maine years ago), where would you suggest? I do enjoy a five star restaurant from time to time, and the theater. However I am also a tent camper, hiker, biker (bicycles), bowler... I grew up in a small town, I am a small town girl at heart that enjoys the finer things in life not as a lifestyle, but a privileged treat at times.
One last thing. We so very much want the snow. But not months, hip deep, snow.
The photos posted- ugh so beautiful. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina