Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2007, 08:27 AM

33 posts, read 209,895 times

Advertisements

Has anyone lived in the Rocky Mount/Stony Creek area or visited? What can you tell me about the area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 08:37 PM

36 posts, read 109,428 times
I worked in Rocky Mount for 6 years, what more specifically would you like to know? We just moved to your state, by the way.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:45 PM

Interesting! Where in PA?

I would like to know anything at all about Rocky Mount. My husband and I are considering relocating southward. We are tiring of the cold winters here in PA, but we'd have to find just the right place to move to. This town came up on a site as a place that we might like, based on our preferences.

What is your overall impression of the atmosphere, lifestyle and economy there?

I'm getting the impression that the schools in NC are lacking. My husband is a teacher and is pursuing his principleship. If you know anything about the public school system, that would also be helpful.

Thanks!

Old 03-29-2007, 06:49 PM

402 posts, read 2,211,117 times
(cough, cough)
I'm PLS3775's wife, BTW.
I have a friend who is a teacher in Bailey, her husband is an asst. principal in RM, and they live in Spring Hope, and they are DYING to get out. They're originally from Ohio, and are disturbed by how poors the schools are. Now, if you want it as a challenge in your career, come on down to that area! If you have children, we can't recommend it! She did comment that it wouldn't be so bad if they were, say, in the chapel hill area.
It is just a low economy area....LOTS of people on assistance, and thinking it is their due right to have it (and therefore aren't trying to do anything about it!).
We just moved to State College PA, and are THRILLED with the difference in attitudes. Rocky Mount area is just not what we wanted for our children!!
Let us know if you want more info! I could check with my friend if I could give you her email, if you'd like? (maybe your husband is trying to get his job!!)

Old 03-30-2007, 09:24 PM

Thanks for the info. I got the impression from several people that NC is lacking in education. We are not considering an immediate move. At the moment, we are considering places to visit first. I am weeding down the options through this helpful forum. I think NC sounds like a great place to visit, but not to live. We are leaning towards Virginia now.

Thanks again! By the way, my grandma is from State College. It is a beautiful place; glad you found your home there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina