Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2006, 08:08 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,907,324 times

Advertisements

I;m informed - I under your reasons for leaving NC but if your family was with you in NC, would that make you stay? Or are there other factors for your move... Your reasons for going back is a reason everyone has to look at their situation...I have very little family so that is not an issue for me...that's why I'm interested in other things you feel are reasons you are looking to leave YET to many people family is most important as a lot of people where I live want to leave but won't because of family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2006, 11:42 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
Family is the biggest reason, but there are some others. I want a sense of community back. I've never lived on Long Island so I don't know what the community is like there..... but I find it very lacking here, at least compared to where I grew up. Half the people are transplants or transients with no history here. There aren't a lot of groups of friends that have been so since they were kids, there aren't a lot of "traditions". Most kids don't grow up around extended family, which I believe helps a lot in charecter development. I might have very well felt the same way about the area I grew up in if I were alive back when it was growing by leaps and bounds. I also really hate the summers here. They just aren't :fun" or as celebrated as they were up north. The only lakes are some grosely polluted man-made ones like Jordan or Falls lakes (lake gaston is really nice, but it's an hour away), so the only place to go to cool off is the pool. That is where kids who live in subdivisions spend all of their time..... the pool or inside with the AC. I could ramble on and on even more but I won't.

Old 06-29-2006, 04:17 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
I also really hate the summers here. They just aren't :fun" or as celebrated as they were up north. The only lakes are some grosely polluted man-made ones like Jordan or Falls lakes (lake gaston is really nice, but it's an hour away), so the only place to go to cool off is the pool.
Tell me more about the lake pollution

Old 06-29-2006, 04:35 PM

Well the biggest story right now is the sewage spill in Lake Wheeler in Cary. This article was just corrected on the local news...it was actually almost 8 million gallons, not 3 million.

http://www.newsobserver.com/100/story/455756.html (broken link)

Sewage spill could spoil holiday at lakes
Officials say an engineer sent an alert about potential danger at the Swift Creek pumping station before the substantial spill
mod cut - copyrighted article

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2006 at 07:48 AM..

Old 06-29-2006, 04:57 PM

upstate NY was just declared earlier today a disater and emergency by the governor..towns are closed out, roads are flooded...holes in the roads making them impassable...wonder if this is an indication of what is yet to come in the way of weather disasters this yr.

Old 06-29-2006, 05:03 PM

Indeed, my father-inlaw lives in Utica, where they are very worried about the Mohawk river flooding. The rest of my family is further west in Rochester though, where there weren't nearly as many problems. Unbelieveable the amount of rain the whole east coast has gotten this year. Raleigh had an 8 inch rain defecit 2 weeks ago, and now there's a .5 inch surplus. They said the same thing has happened in many PA and MD towns...... DC got hit the worst.

Old 06-29-2006, 05:21 PM

I guess there is no "safe" place from mother nature

Old 06-29-2006, 05:55 PM

787 posts, read 3,583,643 times
About mother nature and storm/hurricanes, I have a feeling that this year is not going to be a lot better than last year. The places may be different as it was 1999 when North Carolina was hit by it last wide scale disaster with Hurricane Floyd. Now I know that Hurricane Isabelle hit the very edge of the northern coastal area in 2001 I believe it was and it was bad there but when you compare perhaps the 9 or so northern eastern counties to the entire 42 eastern counties that were affected, it is a big difference. Ophelia skirted the coast last year but it didn't do that much here. In fact, my grandson had eye surgery the day she hit and we never lost power. But you are right, no place is safe from mother nature. She has plenty of natural disasters to get you with if one doesn't work, another one will.

Old 06-29-2006, 06:07 PM

You got it.... only isabell was in 2002.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: