U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

No Child Left Behind education system considering tax break, high school education

Old 06-29-2006, 09:27 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,651,005 times

Advertisements

If you read my news info, one of the reasons that the project was halted is because the fed gov't did not give the $$ they promised...besides growth - the NCLB act made schools across the county more accountable which translated into more testing and all schools needing more resources to comply.....they even changed the licensing requirements here in NY due to the law....yet the same body that enacted it, does not give the indiviudal states the money they need to implement the plans properly...I have many close friends who are teachers and hire admin within the LI and NYC schools and alot of what is passed down both at state and federal level, some ideas are (yes are believe it or not) good, but the state nor the federal gov't give these areas the funds and resources to make the plan work...setting all of us for failure...its amazing, states will fight for companies to come to there area and give them all kinds of tax breaks, but the children are our future and their future lies in the hands of schools and the community (as someone once said-it takes a village) ... ok I will stop now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2006, 09:49 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,039,142 times
If most people didn't know, they do now. No Child Left Behind has translated into No Child's Behind Left. My wife works as a para-educator for disable students, and can attest first hand that the vast majority of schools around the country are simply teaching-to-the-test, rather than educating individual students. NCLB essentially is an unfunded symbolism, doing very little for true education. And that's too bad. It could have been a real difference maker if it were sufficiently (and honestly) funded.

Old 06-29-2006, 10:19 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,643,843 times
Like everything else, it will be done when the majority of voters demand it. Currently, this demand is not there.

Old 06-29-2006, 10:42 AM

132 posts, read 367,097 times
"teaching to test" has been going on for quite some time. As a matter of fact it is the same as you were taught when you were young. That is why students take tests. To gauge the knowledge they supposedly have. Basically regurgitating information that they have memorized. So basically, it tests your ability to remember. That is about it. Ask students in a few years to take the same tests without having a chance to "study" for it. They would no doubt fail. No Child Left Behind is very flawed, but it wasn't the beginning nor will it be the ending for the problem with public and even private education these days.

The problem is that children are not being taught how to live. They are not being taught how to think for themselves, question what is around them and make informed decisions. Their imaginations are being turned off and they are turned into cogs in a factory. And those who do have these skills are chastised for it in a regular school setting. That is why I am a big proponent for alternative teaching and home schooling. (and no I'd really rather not get into the debate everyone attempts to engage with me regarding home schooling and social skills, if you would like information though, I am more than happy to discuss off of the forum or in a PM).

I'm going back to college getting my degree in education and I hope that I will be able to make a difference one day whether it be in a classroom setting or on a school board or somewhere within the "system". Trying to change things is hard though. People don't like change. People first have to admit something is wrong, and we all know how people are about admitting they are wrong.

Anyway, I'll get off my soap box. I get really passionate about education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina